PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

TinkerbellT421
10-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, we are closer to seeing Hurricane Sandy roll through. Being from Rhode Island, I'm pretty freaked out by the possible impact this is going to cause. Just wanted to send well wishes,pixie dust and stay safe to my fellow New Englanders that are going to be impacted. I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. Went to stop and shop yesterday and it was insane! the gas station was packed, couple of banks stayed open late for people scrambling for cash. It was crazy in my town yesterday! Please everyone be safe! :(

Dulcee
10-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Same here. My parents still live in my hometown on a barrier island on the NJ shore. Despite mandatory evacuations they, like most of the locals, are riding it out at home.

I think I'd be worried less if I was there! The worst is waiting. We've gotten some tropical storm conditions here but it doesn't compare to the storm surge jersey is going to see. Here's to hoping Sandy keeps moving along and doesn't stall out over the coast line like is possible.

Lindsey310
10-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Just pulled our patio furniture in! Stop and shop was so annoyingly busy...people everywhere. Home now with DH! Watching the pats game and keeping updated on sandy! Hoping for no work tomorrow :secret:

Strmchsr
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Y'all be safe. Also, keep checking in the weather thread in vacation planning. I'll post Sandy updates as often as something new comes up, not just related to WDW.

Maleficent's Dad
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Y'all be safe. Also, keep checking in the weather thread in vacation planning. I'll post Sandy updates as often as something new comes up, not just related to WDW.

Thank you, Chris. My concern? The SURGE of water coming up... I'm on the
Long Island Sound side of things, so there's not a whole lot of room for the water to go. :(

Strmchsr
10-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Long Island Sound side of things, so there's not a whole lot of room for the water to go. :(

Frank, that is an area that really concerns me, too. I think you'll see on the maps I posted in the weather thread that Long Island is in serious danger. Please make sure you evacuate to high ground!

CynBeth
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
We are waiting for it to hit here in MD as well. Our football team has a bye so my hubby and I have been watching the New England game until they switched it to the Packers game. I am not sure when the storm will arrive so I hope we still have power to watch OUAT. i hope everyone fares well.

MNNHFLTX
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Hopefully the storm will not be as bad as expected, but sending safe wishes all the same!

Down here at WDW there are many people with travel plans affected--some having to leave early, some having to add on days (I know that might not sound like a hardship to some, but it is an inconvenience). I am one of the fortunate ones as I fly west to Houston.

princessgirls
10-28-2012, 04:49 PM
We live in Northern NJ, 50 miles from Sandy Hook (coast), and about 20 minutes west of NYC.
I AM VERY CONCERNED!!!!!

My area was hit so hard after Irene. People are still recovering.

Praying that the effects are not as bad as they are forecasting.

Julie:mickey:

ElenitaB
10-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Thinking of you, Frank! I'm worried about my elderly aunt/uncle who live in an evac zone on the southern shore of Long Island (luckily, they'll probably be at my cousin's on the North shore).

We're just across the street from a NYC Zone C evacuation zone. I'm sure we'll just be fine but of course am concerned re: electricity and water.

Good luck to all!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
They already cancelled school here for Monday and Tuesday. Spent the weekend getting all the leaves picked up, and gassing up the cars and charging everything, making sure we have batteries, for all the flashlights, etc. This along with bringing the kids to everything Halloween related that we could just in case Halloween gets cancelled again like it did last year after the N'oreaster storm that had us without power for 8 days!

Please everyone stay safe and keep an eye out for elderly neighbors!

ckaranassos
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
We are here at the Jersey Shore. (Manasquan to be exact) We are ready as we can be! Winds picking up and water level rising fast. Best of luck to everyone in Sandy's path. Be safe.

PopPhan
10-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Sitting here in south-central PA waiting for an Isabell type storm to come through....Hoping it's not much worse than that, but prepared if it is....Everyone in the affected areas, you are in my thoughts and prayers for a safe resolution to this storm...

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
My husband and I both work for different insurance companies and we both got the call to work from home.

EpcotChic23
10-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm here in central jersey. We did a lot of Halloween related activities today because I feel it will not happen this year. Work is canceled for the next 2 days. Even though we are inland I'm very scared. Good luck to everyone in its path.

pianobabe
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Prayers, thoughts and lots of :pixie::pixie: to everyone. Our temperature has dropped dramatically and the wind has really picked up. We even have a chance (however so slight) of snow showers beginning tomorrow night. This whole system is going to have a HUGE impact. Stay safe everyone!

SBETigg
10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm stuck in FL for a few more days, not at WDW (darn), moving to a Marriott where I can stay with my husband's accumulated travel points. I'm worried about my family back home and worried for all of you in the path. Praying everyone stays safe and damage is minimal if any. We lost last Halloween to that awful early snowstorm and now this!

Maleficent's Dad
10-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Thinking of you, Frank! I'm worried about my elderly aunt/uncle who live in an evac zone on the southern shore of Long Island (luckily, they'll probably be at my cousin's on the North shore).

We're just across the street from a NYC Zone C evacuation zone. I'm sure we'll just be fine but of course am concerned re: electricity and water.

Good luck to all!
Thanks, Ellen. We're on the northern side of the sound, but at the western edge. My brother evacuated his home in the Rockaways (and that's a good thing as he is literally on the beach).

Wind is a blowin' right now... Hoping everyone is safe out there!

VWL Mom
10-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Winds picking up a little here, no rain yet. The waiting is really making me nuts. I hope everyone gets through this safely :pixie::pixie::pixie: and an extra sprinkling for those on the water :pixie:

MizMissy
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Prayers sent to everyone for their safety. We've been through plenty of storms in my area, the waiting and the not knowing is very difficult.
Please be patient and stay "hunkered down" (seriously, I hate that expression) until everything passes and your local officials tell you it is safe to move around.

vicster
10-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Stay safe everyone - we're all thinking of you and hoping it isn't as bad as being predicted.

missymouseworld
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
It has been pretty quiet so far. Woke up to wind, and the rain didn't start until about 8am. We are located in Central NJ near the Raritan Bay/River that is connected to the Atlantic Ocean at Sandy Hook. The Weather Channel is predicting we might get the eye (?) in our location; they said it will pick up near evening time.

laprana
10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm keeping everyone in Sandy's path in my prayers and sending lots of :pixie::pixie: to the northeast! I hope everyone stays safe and that the storm is not as bad as predicted! Take care of yourselves! :hug:

disney obsessed
10-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Getting ready to go to work in tropical storm winds and 7 inches of rain! I'd rather be stranded in disney world.

minnie04
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
To everyone in the path, stay safe!!!! These storms are nothing to mess with...Please listen when they say to stay home and stay inside. Make sure you have all your supplies and bunker down... your all in our prayers down here in Miami. We know exactly what’s coming and what comes after words..Don't take the warnings lightly, be prepaired..

CynBeth
10-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Here in MD near Baltimore my office was on liberal leave but I went in as it was just a little rain and no wind. They let us go at 12:30 pm. The wind and rain have picked up a lot but I am not sure the exact mph. The lights have flickered every now and then but we still have power at this time. Thanks for everyone's concern!

CynBeth
10-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Just wanted to report that I am ok. So far we have not lost power and work is closed today.
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone that is being hit by this storm.

TheVBs
10-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Hope everyone is ok!! We're feeling the effects here in Michigan. Rain and sleet this morning with 30+ mph winds. Nothing compared to what the east coast has had to deal with of course.

SBETigg
10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Waiting to hear from family this morning, but they were all fine when I checked in late last night. Lots of wind, lost cable-phone-internet, but still had power. I got on an earlier flight out of MCO tomorrow, if it's not canceled, so should be home by tomorrow evening.

TinkerbellT421
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
All okay here today too. That was a rough night :/

lettripp
10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Plex and I are ok. Quite thankful we moved away from the shore this summer... schools are still closed and there are almost a half million power outages in the state. Hope the other intercotees in Sandy's path are alright.

PopPhan
10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Other than taking an hour to get to work this morning, due to flooded roads, we weathered the storm pretty well. What was left of the leaves on the trees are now in my yard, but that is minor (and will get the work done much more quickly now!! LOL) A few smaller branches and twigs down as well, but nothing on the house, in the pool, or creating more than a minor nuisance to take care of as time permits.

Isabel in 2003 was worse than Sandy for us.

Good luck and happy thoughts to those who were not as lucky!

Dulcee
10-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I posted earlier about my folks in NJ. They live on the barrier island, 50ish miles north of Atlantic City. The barrier island communities have been destroyed. My parents were very lucky to weather the storm with water in their first floor and no other major damage.

Every car on the island is totaled. Boats have been moved to the middle of roads. The seaside pier with its roller coaster collapsed into the ocean. Whole homes lifted off foundations and floated down roads and into the bays. The sand pile up is astronomical in areas and the water accumulation is still 3-4 feet in most areas.

Its horribly sad and surreal. My heart is breaking for my hometown.

Ed
10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
What town was that, Dulcee? I've got family in that general area. :(

pianobabe
10-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Dulcee, so sorry to hear that. They are all in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad others who have reported have been okay.

badkitty
10-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Prayers for all of you in Sandy's path. I hope everyone is safe and thoses traveling return home safely.

VWL Mom
10-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Just thought I'd check in, we're standing - powerless but safe. I had lost touch wish DS who is away at school in Pleasantville NY and to make it worse the dean sent an email sayingg they couldn't get in touch with them and since the bridges were closed no one could get up there. I heard from him yesterday, storm or no storm they were at GameStop for a new xbox game release. Kids!

I live in a wooded area and trees fell all around but thankfully no cars or houses were damaged. Closer in town about 15 homes weren't quite as lucky. They had lowered the reservoirs prior to the storm so no flooding this time. Schools are still closed as are the stores and gas stations around me.

The Jersey shore is devasted, quite a few of my friends have lost everything. I cannot get hold of my cousin that lives there. They're recently moved to a high rise condo on the beach in a building touted as hurricane proof, I hope so.

DH went to check on his office today near Woodbridge. They're waiting for power but no flooding.

Everyone affected, please stay safe. My prayers are with you all.

SBETigg
10-31-2012, 11:43 AM
My daughter goes to school in Madison NJ, but she came home before the storm. Good thing, she would have been evacuated to who knows where. Her school has lots of trees down and will be closed until Sunday at least, but no lasting major damage, I think. My best friend's mom has a house in Sea Bright, though. She stayed in East Windsor through the storm, with my friend, but I'm worried what she will find when she goes home. So sorry for everyone with damages.

PirateLover
10-31-2012, 04:21 PM
I am at a loss for words with the images coming out of all the areas affected. Between the fires and the floods, it looks like a war zone. Like many I've grown up going to the Jersey Shore, many of my friends have houses there, some year round residents. It's all so crazy.

MouseHead
11-01-2012, 05:56 AM
We are here at the Jersey Shore. (Manasquan to be exact) We are ready as we can be! Winds picking up and water level rising fast. Best of luck to everyone in Sandy's path. Be safe.

***I know that Manasquan has been hit very hard...wonder if this person is ok:confused::fingers:***

BrerGnat
11-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Starting to hear that at least a couple Intercotees came home to devestation after ICOT15. :(

Let's all send out tons of Pixie Dust and Prayers to our members who have suffered losses from this storm.

:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Hopefully we will hear from them soon, although we all know that their priorities right now will keep them away from posting here. It's going to be a long road to recovery for many folks.

Intercotees: Shout out if you need assistance! Our community is strong and far reaching.

Scar
11-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I was vey, very lucky to only lose power for around twelve hours. Seeing the news and driving around Central Jersey yesterday shows me just how lucky I am.
Intercotees: Shout out if you need assistance! Our community is strong and far reaching.One way I can think of is if anyone lives within driving distance from the affected areas, let us know if you have open gas stations with not too long of lines. The few stations open here have 2+ hour long lines with tempers flaring, and most of those are going to run out if they havn't already. I know most people here would gladly spend a few hours on the road and spend a few gallons of gas to fill up containers and not have to wait on line for hours, without even a guarentee that the station will still have gas after the wait.

BriarRose0708
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm about 4 hours away from the worst hit areas here in Ithaca, NY but if ANYONE needs help, clean clothes, water, food, etc. please let me know and I will drive down this weekend. I'm only 2 hours from Clarks Summit, PA or 3 hours Monticello, NY if anyone can make it out there to meet me. Do not hesitate to send a PM. My prayers are with you all.

Dulcee
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
What town was that, Dulcee? I've got family in that general area. :(

Ed my parents live in the Lavallette/Seaside/Mantoloking area.

The area is destroyed. Beyond total belief. Of the three towns it appears Lavallette has faired the best. Seaside and Mantoloking are complete and total losses. The Mantoloking bridge has been deemed dangerously unstable due to a house lifting off its foundation and striking the bridge. My parents are still on island, they have connections to supplies from my brother who was able to get on island via a boat.

They've been checking on pets left behind by those who've evacuated and are staying as strong as possible. This cold spell thats starting may drive them off island in the next few days.

VWL Mom
11-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Does anyone that knows Frank know how he fared.

Ed my parents live in the Lavallette/Seaside/Mantoloking area.

The area is destroyed. Beyond total belief. Of the three towns it appears Lavallette has faired the best. Seaside and Mantoloking are complete and total losses. The Mantoloking bridge has been deemed dangerously unstable due to a house lifting off its foundation and striking the bridge. My parents are still on island, they have connections to supplies from my brother who was able to get on island via a boat.

They've been checking on pets left behind by those who've evacuated and are staying as strong as possible. This cold spell thats starting may drive them off island in the next few days.

My prayers are with your family. Friends of mine from Ortley that did evacuate we're told they're considering shuttleing home owners in so they can see if they still have homes but will not be allowing them to stay yet. Maybe your parents can hook up with one of the shuttles for a way out.

VWL Mom
11-01-2012, 09:53 AM
For anyone able to help out, Bruce Springsteen and Jon BonJovi have spearheaded a telethon for the Red Cross. Others are jumping on board to help too.

Airs Friday, NBC, 8P est

Strmchsr
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I hate to hear so many of our Intercot family are impacted, but glad so many of you are safe. I was definitely hoping to be wrong on this forecast!

I'm working with UMCOR arranging relief efforts through the United Methodist Church. Any of you that want to give financially, UMCOR uses 100% of donations to help survivors. None of the money donated goes to overhead. The spot is at umcor.org

ValenciaCalling
11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
My thoughts are with everyone in our Intercot family affected by Sandy this week.

My boyfriend and I live in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and we are on our 4th day without power. Luckily, the power outage seems to be the only damage, as there doesn't seem to be any damage to our house, or our property. I am quite surprised considering we are surrounded by tall trees that could have easily come down on us during the storm.

We live in an old farmhouse that was built in the 1850's and the house was built so solidly that we couldn't even hear the storm while we were sitting in our living room. It wasn't until we looked out the window that we realized just how bad it was. I was so worried about getting flashlights and candles ready that it didn't even occur to me to bring in the patio furniture on our front porch. Luckily, all it did was tip over. We got a little water in our basement, but the floor slopes into a drain so there was no clean up required.

Our power company said we should have it back by 11pm tonight, so we'll see if that actually happens. Stay safe, everyone!

missymouseworld
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
The storm was horrible we still do not have power but everyone is safe. My parents have a home in beach haven west and they have flooding and mud inside the house. Someones boat is in their driveway and someones hot tub knocked down the fence.

Schools are closed for the entire week and it doesnt look promising for next week. We dropped some donations at the storm shelter today and Jon Bon Jovi was there visiting the evacuated residents which seemed to brighten their day. This is his home town and there was alot of devastation of houses along an area of the Raritan River.

We were planning on leaving Saturday morning for Disney but are not sure power will be back and dont know about the gas situation along the way down. No TV or internet access just my husbands phone.

MouseHead
11-02-2012, 02:03 AM
I was vey, very lucky to only lose power for around twelve hours. Seeing the news and driving around Central Jersey yesterday shows me just how lucky I am.One way I can think of is if anyone lives within driving distance from the affected areas, let us know if you have open gas stations with not too long of lines. The few stations open here have 2+ hour long lines with tempers flaring, and most of those are going to run out if they havn't already. I know most people here would gladly spend a few hours on the road and spend a few gallons of gas to fill up containers and not have to wait on line for hours, without even a guarentee that the station will still have gas after the wait.

***My sister & her family live in Orange County NY-[Middletown/Goshen area] there are some areas w/o power but I know there are open gas stations with gas in that area***:yes:

disney obsessed
11-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Hey Missymouseworld, once you get out of your area south you will be able to get gas. While the storm followed the east coast, from baltimore/dc south we are ok. If It were me, I would definatly get out of town asap. When we were hit by Isabel several years ago, we did not have power for 14 days, gas and food were scarce and we were very lucky to live in a great neighborhood were we all pitched in to help one another. Good luck.

BrerGnat
11-02-2012, 08:43 AM
We were planning on leaving Saturday morning for Disney but are not sure power will be back and dont know about the gas situation along the way down. No TV or internet access just my husbands phone.

If you are able, I'd still plan on leaving. The 95 corridor wasn't hit too hard and you should have no issues finding gas outside of your immediate area. If you have enough gas to get a couple hundred miles out, you should run into no issues on the drive down. Just make sure you dispose of any food that was in your refrigerator/freezer before you leave!

diz_girl
11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
We fared fine here in Northeastern MD, as most people who I know that live in my immediate area (Elkton, MD, Newark, DE, Landenberg, PA and Oxford, PA) never lost power. Hardly any trees fell. But everyone else I know lost power, and they were in multiple states (NJ coast and inland, Philly area, Northwest NJ, and Bel Air, MD). The odd thing is that the center of the storm passed over my house shortly after 11 p.m. on Monday (no wind or rain right then).

We lived at the NJ shore up until last year and I'd still rather be there now, no power and all. Even though half my old town had to evacuate (but not at my old house). It is home. Many people with whom I work didn't move when their jobs moved to MD and they commute, some stay for the week, others commute every day. Everyone there is stilll without power and still aren't at work.

There was a lot of devastation at the shore, and many places that I love were severaly damaged or destroyed (the Spring Lake boardwalk - gone, the drive along Route 35 from Bay Head to Seaside (damaged or destroyed). However, many other places that I love had little damage or were unscathed. Pier Village in Long Branch survived, Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant Beach was OK, the 100 year-old carousel in Seaside survived, Cape May only had minor flooding and most people there had power throughout the storm.

So if you need anything, let me know and I'll do what I can to get stuff to you. I'm only two hours away.

By the way, if you need gas, a friend back home told me that the rest stops on the GSP have power and are being replenished with gas. So you may want to check it out.

Good luck.

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
There are no gas shortages here in South Jersey. The further away from NY/North Jersey you get, it should not be a problem to find gas. I am continuing to pray for all those who lack food, shelter, clothing, and other essentials. The news is so awful.

VWL Mom
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Now they're saying a possible Nor'Eastern next week for NY/NJ. I don't think the area can bear it.

Strmchsr
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Now they're saying a possible Nor'Eastern next week for NY/NJ. I don't think the area can bear it.

Yeah, I see what's being spoken about in the models. However, most of the reliable models keep the system just off the coast. NY/NJ would be on the western side of the system and have minimal impact. Also, most don't develop it into a full blow nor'easter until it gets closer to the Canadian Maritimes. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, etc could see a definite impact, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned for another big impact for NY/NJ. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Dulcee
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I see what's being spoken about in the models. However, most of the reliable models keep the system just off the coast. NY/NJ would be on the western side of the system and have minimal impact. Also, most don't develop it into a full blow nor'easter until it gets closer to the Canadian Maritimes. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, etc could see a definite impact, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned for another big impact for NY/NJ. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Thanks for this. I just got a call from my mother (who's still out on the barrier island sans gas, electric and water) frantic over the threat of another storm system.

VWL Mom
11-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for that info Chris.

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for this. I just got a call from my mother (who's still out on the barrier island sans gas, electric and water) frantic over the threat of another storm system.

Local media is really hyping it.

Strmchsr
11-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Local media is really hyping it.

Which is really frustrating. That's emotional manipulation to get ratings. There is a possibility of a storm and mid-Atlantic and New England coasts will probably get some rain, maybe some snow, and a little wind. Nothing major. Nothing you would even think about had Sandy not happened. It would be a non-issue normally. The evening models still have the worst impact off shore. So, yeah, there will probably be a storm next week but it's NOTHING like Sandy. It'll hamper some of the repair crews for 24 hours, but that should be about it. At least that's what it looks like right now. Should it come closer to shore, the impact will be a little greater, but still nothing out of the ordinary.

PirateLover
11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Which is really frustrating. That's emotional manipulation to get ratings. There is a possibility of a storm and mid-Atlantic and New England coasts will probably get some rain, maybe some snow, and a little wind. Nothing major. Nothing you would even think about had Sandy not happened. It would be a non-issue normally. The evening models still have the worst impact off shore. So, yeah, there will probably be a storm next week but it's NOTHING like Sandy. It'll hamper some of the repair crews for 24 hours, but that should be about it. At least that's what it looks like right now. Should it come closer to shore, the impact will be a little greater, but still nothing out of the ordinary.
Thank you. I agree. This is why people are hesitant to heed evacuation warnings. Hype the storms that need it- like Sandy, but please don't hype a coating of snow!!!! People have been through enough, they don't need to be stressed out for no reason.

TinkerbellT421
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Thank you. I agree. This is why people are hesitant to heed evacuation warnings. Hype the storms that need it- like Sandy, but please don't hype a coating of snow!!!! People have been through enough, they don't need to be stressed out for no reason.

Agreed with you and stormchaser! The saying "crying wolf" comes to mind. I cannot even tell you how many people I know didn't prepare for the storm that Sandy brought. Everyone had the same attitude most Rhode Islanders have...."it will be nothing like usual". Most were shockingly surprised when they weren't prepared. And that is mostly because so many times our meteorologists and news stations hype things up so much and then nothing happens that they lose their credibility. I don't know about anywhere else, but everyone jokes that we could throw a dart on a board and have a better forecast than our meteorologists do.

Strmchsr
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Now that we're a little closer to the system it's easier to tell what might happen this week. The models are now in good agreement. The good news is this week's system will be NOTHING like Sandy. The bad news is with weakened infrastructure, beach erosion, etc from Sandy this week's storm will be a bit of a headache. There will be some wind, maybe a little snow, and a lot of rain for a few hours. Again, nothing horrible, and if not for Sandy nothing you would be really talking about. But, with as much coastal erosion as took place during Sandy, some tidal flooding will be possible this week. If you know anyone who lives right on the coast, I would get them out before the system hits just to be on the safe side. Stay safe!

Bethanymouse
11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
We are from Northern NJ and we are all okay here. We got power back this morning, we lost it Monday afternoon. Thank God that is all we lost. The devastation to our poor state is tragic. People looking for gas, if you can make it to PA or NY, there are no lines there. We were there yesterday. Today, I was able to get gas in no line at all on the border of Jersey. Be safe all.

VWL Mom
11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Now that we're a little closer to the system it's easier to tell what might happen this week. The models are now in good agreement. The good news is this week's system will be NOTHING like Sandy. The bad news is with weakened infrastructure, beach erosion, etc from Sandy this week's storm will be a bit of a headache. There will be some wind, maybe a little snow, and a lot of rain for a few hours. Again, nothing horrible, and if not for Sandy nothing you would be really talking about. But, with as much coastal erosion as took place during Sandy, some tidal flooding will be possible this week. If you know anyone who lives right on the coast, I would get them out before the system hits just to be on the safe side. Stay safe!

Thanks for the update Chris.

SBETigg
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
We are from Northern NJ and we are all okay here. We got power back this morning, we lost it Monday afternoon. Thank God that is all we lost. The devastation to our poor state is tragic. People looking for gas, if you can make it to PA or NY, there are no lines there. We were there yesterday. Today, I was able to get gas in no line at all on the border of Jersey. Be safe all.

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you're well. I drove my daughter back to Drew U in NJ today (her classes resume tomorrow after a week off due to storm damage in Madison). The last few rest stops in CT before the Tappan Zee had long gas lines and people taking a long time to fill multiple tanks.

VWL Mom
11-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you're well. I drove my daughter back to Drew U in NJ today (her classes resume tomorrow after a week off due to storm damage in Madison). The last few rest stops in CT before the Tappan Zee had long gas lines and people taking a long time to fill multiple tanks.

I was wondering about your daughter. Its good she's back and Drew is up and running. The schools in the area were supposed to open today but still have no power. If she needs anything, please let me know, she's less than 10 minutes from me and with winter track upon us I'm usually at Drew 2 or 3 times a week.

SBETigg
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I was wondering about your daughter. Its good she's back and Drew is up and running. The schools in the area were supposed to open today but still have no power. If she needs anything, please let me know, she's less than 10 minutes from me and with winter track upon us I'm usually at Drew 2 or 3 times a week.

Lynn, thanks again for your offer, very appreciated. INTERCOT really is like a family.

Drew lost a lot of trees, but seems to have cleared up any creating dangerous conditions. One of the dorms (not my daughter's) suffered some damage, and those students had to be relocated, but not a big deal all things considered. They have power back, and she's excited to vote tomorrow. She's registered in Madison.

pink
11-08-2012, 04:08 PM
My family finally just started resetteling ourselves after the hurricane. We lost power for 5 days and the house was the same temperature inside and it was outside-scary!

We got our power back for 3 days and lost it again yesterday during the snow storm. We got it back in the afternoon only for it go off again at night. At 3 am this morning it was turned on again and are crossing our fingers and toes that it doesn't go away again.

My poor boyfriends family also lost their power for 4 days and then lost it again yesterday afternoon and have been freezing their butts off at home and we are the lucky ones. I have friends who lost their entire homes and jobs from the storm. This really is a tragedy.

vicster
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
We're praying for everyone who has been hit by Sandy and then the Nor'easter. I know what we're seeing on tv does not truly show the devastation and hardships people are going through. It's truly unimaginable. Let's pray that's the last of it and everyone on the east coast is safe.