PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve at EPCOT

iheartdisney
10-28-2012, 11:17 AM
We have dinner reservations on New Year's Eve in EPCOT at 4:50pm. We love our park hoppers and enjoy going to one park in the morning, back to resort for rest and then back out for the evening. But hearing about how they close parks when they get to capacity on holidays has me concerned. Any seasoned holiday goers out there? Could we arrive at EPCOT by 4pm and be safe? Or could we be turned away that early in the day? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Main Street Jim
10-28-2012, 06:36 PM
New Year's Eve at EPCOT, you could get turned away as early 12-1pm. But, as the park empties out during the later afternoon, they'll allow more guests in :) By about 7-8:00pm, it's back full again for both the early and later showings of Illuminations.

I'd recommend getting *into* the park no later than about 3:00pm.

dnickels
10-28-2012, 08:11 PM
I've gone over to Epcot twice in the last five years and both times I rolled into the park between 9-10 PM without running into any capacity issues. Maybe I just happened to go on the two most recent years that weren't at capacity, but it's not a guarantee that the place will be at capacity.

As Jim said though, the more important the dinner is to you the earlier you should probably be there to be on the safe side.

Gator
10-29-2012, 12:40 AM
If you've got ressies at 4:20, I'd get there by about 2pm. Don't take any chances on not getting in.

figgie
10-29-2012, 12:32 PM
We've been at EPCOT several times for New Years Eve. We always get there early. I think twice they closed entry before noon and didn't allow anyone in after, even in the evening. A lot of people, locals included, try to come in the evening just for the night time countdown but not as many as you would think leave so I wouldn't count on being able to get in!

They used to guarantee entry if you were staying on property but I don't think they do that any more. Anyone know this for sure?

Main Street Jim
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
They used to guarantee entry if you were staying on property but I don't think they do that any more. Anyone know this for sure?Not necessarily. It depends on what "level"/"phase" of closing they're at. There's four levels:

Phase 1 closing: Anyone BUT single-day, single-park ticket holders will still get in.

Phase 2: Closed to all BUT annual passholders and resort guests with tickets.

Phase 3: Closed to all BUT resort guests with park tickets.

Phase 4: Park closed to all guests not already holding any type of park ticket, not already in the park.

I *believe* that's what the phases are; if not completely correct, it's pretty close (phase 2 and 3 are a little fuzzy).

figgie
10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Either way, we try to get there early and dedicate the day to Epcot, our favorite place to ring in the new year!:pixie:

K8screen
10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I thought if you had a dinner ressie you were allowed in, as you are in a morning before opening if you have an early breakfast ressie. If I am wrong (and I usually am :blush:)I am glad I didnt know before 4 July when we got in just before they were closing to new visitors, but I though we were safe with dinner ressies, so I hadnt been worrying.

figgie
11-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Don't know if that is true or not but we did have friends who had dinner ressies 4 years ago.They got to the park late afternoon and were refused entry because the park was full and close! Not sure of the official policey, but it happened to them!:oops:

DizneyRox
11-01-2012, 10:22 AM
A dining reservation will not get you into a closed park.

I alsways suggest getiting to the park of your choice early on major holidays and plan on staying until you are done for the day.

Last time I was at Epcot on NYE it was at capacity by 11am. We were in a traffic jam outside of the ticket booth at 5am. Since 9/11 however (and the recession(s)), Disney parks don't hit capacity like they used to (frequency, speed and duration).

Last trip on the 4th of July I don't think they got past like phase 2. The 4th is another big holiday that used to see closures.

You plan is sound in theory. Get there early (I wouldn't trust 3pm though). As always, there are no guarantees.

daisyndonald
11-08-2012, 07:13 PM
My family and I have spent the last four years at Epcot on New Years Eve, each time getting to the park at around 4pm, with no trouble at all getting in. We also go with no expectations of getting on any of the "big" attractions. But it's fun all the same!

This is my first post, so I'm giving it a try! I may not have the hang of it yet. Hopefully I'm not doing anything strange or goofy!

Tinker-Brendie
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
INTERCOT is - as usual - the keeper of all knowledge. We just booked a "this will be the last family vacation before DD graduates and gets a job" trip that STARTS on New Year's Eve.
I was freaking out thinking that my DH would have to be in a park from 10am to midnight (not likely - :blush:). Your comments here are making me feel MUCH better about getting there early afternoon. You guys are AWESOME!:mickey::cloud9: