PDA

View Full Version : Illuminations canceled tonight

TiggeRia
10-26-2012, 10:56 PM
We went to the 3D dessert party tonight at EPCOT and as we were walking to our special viewing area for the fireworks, it was announced overhead that due to the weather the show was canceled! Boo! It has been super windy, though, so I suppose it is understandable. Oh well, such is life....

SBETigg
10-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Wow, I didn't think it was that windy. A bit, yes, but... wow. Sorry.

We were there when Hurricane Wilma was kicking in, torrential rain and wind, and Illuminations wasn't cancelled, though the park was closed the next day. Weird. But I respect that they must know what they're doing. Fireworks went on at MNSSHP tonight.

Zawadi
10-27-2012, 04:55 AM
Wow, I didn't think it was that windy. A bit, yes, but... wow. Sorry.

We were there when Hurricane Wilma was kicking in, torrential rain and wind, and Illuminations wasn't cancelled, though the park was closed the next day. Weird. But I respect that they must know what they're doing. Fireworks went on at MNSSHP tonight.

The difference might be the wind direction. In the MK, the fireworks are launched up to 1/4 mile from the castle with no guests. In EPCoT, the guest viewing area is 360 degrees around the launch site so any wind could put guests in the "fallout zone".
Normally you can feel the heat from the propane barge. I wouldn't like to see that fireball blowing towards me!

SBETigg
10-27-2012, 06:18 AM
The difference might be the wind direction. In the MK, the fireworks are launched up to 1/4 mile from the castle with no guests. In EPCoT, the guest viewing area is 360 degrees around the launch site so any wind could put guests in the "fallout zone".
Normally you can feel the heat from the propane barge. I wouldn't like to see that fireball blowing towards me!

Yes, makes sense. Not worth putting people at undue risk for a show.

Gator
10-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Haha! Yeah, that would be a bummer. You can feel it when the wind is still - but hurricane gusts coming in may burn off all the new Disney clothes I just bought.

Gator's Rule#17 of WDW Vacationing: Don't go during Hurricane season.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
It must have been windy from coast-to-coast. We were in DL on Friday, 10/26/12 for Mickey's Halloween Party. It was our first time and we were looking forward to seeing the fireworks so we could compare them with MNSSHP at WDW, but the fireworks were cancelled due to high winds.