PDA

View Full Version : Under what conditions??

minnie04
10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
We are getting the outer bands of "hurricane"/"tropical" storm Sandy. Under what conditions will they close the parks i.e. MNSSHP. The winds are suppose to be the problem more then the rain. We are suppose to be going tomorrow night... :confused:

Strmchsr
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I seriously doubt the storm will be strong enough to cancel the party, but it might cancel the fireworks and parade. That is a very real possibility for tomorrow night. The rides go on almost no matter what. I went to a MVMCP in the pouring rain one year. No Wishes or parade, just the park being open. It all depends on how far west the storm moves as to impact from rain. The parade might be able to get off tomorrow, but HalloWishes will be very iffy due to high winds.

WDWdriver
10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Historically the parks rarely close due to weather. It would require a nearly direct hit by a hurricane, which hasn't happened since 2004.

As Chris said above, weather mostly affects the parades and fireworks.

minnie04
10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Great thanks!! I would hate for the rain to ruin anything, but at least we will be having fun. I guess I will grab a few ponchos and see what happens. :mickey:

10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
About the only thing that delays fireworks is lightning within a certain radius of MK.

If the streets are "wet", usually the headless horseman doesn't go and some selected walking cast get pulled and sometimes a float or two might get pulled if it is one that has problems going on wet pavement.

If actually raining, hh doesn't go and parade will normally get delayed as long as is possible before getting cancelled.

Outdoor attractions closures are dependent on lightning within a certain radius of the park. I've heard 3 miles, 5 miles and 7 miles but not sure which is correct.

minnie04
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you, I have been watching the weather and I think we are going to be good. Fingers crossed. The good thing is the kids are bigger and we don’t have to worry about strollers we can just run for cover. Lol Since they have been there so many times, we will just hit all the rides they like first and let the rest of the night flow how it may…:mickey: Too excited so nothing not even the rain can ruin this trip.

DizneyRox
10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
When Disney cancels, that means refunds, if people don't show up because of weather, then that's on them.

Disney very rarely closes or cancels. The disclaimer on the ticket gives them the option to adjust entertainment, etc for their safety/convenience, but closing those turnstyles is a very rare event indeed.

10-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Had a heavy rain cell a few minutes ago right after Day Parade and some more to come in tonight it looks like on the radar.

Main Street Jim
10-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Outdoor attractions closures are dependent on lightning within a certain radius of the park. I've heard 3 miles, 5 miles and 7 miles but not sure which is correct.That would be 7 miles :)

TinkerbellT421
10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Wish I knew what the real impact will be on RI. Our local news stations have everyone freaking out. Talking evacuations and emergency kits and blah blah blah. :(

10-26-2012, 12:54 AM
That would be 7 miles :)

I had always heard that too but this past summer they called off "101" because lightning was at a 5 mile radius. Wondered if it might be 7 for fireworks and 5 for others. I've asked but never get a positive answer.

Main Street Jim
10-26-2012, 09:40 AM
The Tomorrowland managers (with Astro Orbiter) make the call on outdoor attractions going down due to weather. It's 7 miles, at least for attractions ;)

PlutoPlanet
10-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Historically the parks rarely close due to weather. It would require a nearly direct hit by a hurricane, which hasn't happened since 2004.

As Chris said above, weather mostly affects the parades and fireworks.

Yes, we were at Disney for hurricane Frances in 2004. There may be no better place to ride out a hurricane than Disney. We did have the parks to ourselves the days before and after the hurricane hit. It must be tough on the cast members though. Some of them lost power for a few weeks.

lawgirl
10-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Last year when we went to MNSSHP there was lightening, (no rain thank goodness) so the outdoor rides were closed until it stopped.

If you take your ponchos and waterproof yourselves, it's awesome to have the park cleared out! I love going in the rain.