PDA

View Full Version : Help Select Accommodations for 2 Night Holiday Stay

dislecksea
10-24-2012, 10:04 AM
OK. So my 10 year-old son has a chess tourney at the Orlando World Center Marriott the last weekend of November/first weekend of December (Friday - Sunday). And given that we are big time WDW fans, and given that we are going to be right across the highway from the parks, what else could we do other than extend our weekend so that we can hit the parks during the holidays. Therefore, we are going to go into the parks on Monday and then drive home to Atlanta on Tuesday (I know, one day isn't much, but we don't want him to miss too much school and our last trip was an impromptu 3-park 1-day extravaganza and we had a blast).

The big question is where to stay Sunday December 2nd and Monday December 3rd. In the past we have stayed on property sometimes (Grand Floridian, Dolphin/Swan, Pop Century) and off property sometimes (we are fans of the Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas). But since we will only have the one day, we are thinking that EMH make on property worth it this time.

Depending on the hassle factor, we are willing to consider splitting our nights. I can think of two reasons to do this: 1. we could stay somewhere expensive one night and somewhere cheaper (even off property) another night thereby averaging out the total cost, and 2. we could see two resorts instead of one (really, given that we will be in the parks we will only be enjoying the resorts Sunday pm and Tuesday am). I thought I saw somewhere that if you are moving from one on property hotel to another, you can check your bags in with the front desk at your departing hotel and they will have them delivered to your new hotel - is that right? If so, it would certainly discourage me from moving to an off property hotel.

These seem like the options to me in order of preference (all prices per Priceline):

The Poly ($325/night) - we have ALWAYS wanted to stay here but have never been able to make it work, largely because of the cost. This is #1 on our wishlist and I think that one night here is definite. However, two nights would be pretty expensive.
Caribbean or Riverside ($150/night) - we have never even stepped foot on either property, which is kind of the appeal. And they for one night it isn't that much of a step up from the Values.
Art of Animation ($115/night) - Priceline doesn't list it but Orbtiz has it. Brand new resort for $15 more than the Old Values? Sounds like a good idea.
The Old Values ($100/night) - we have been to Pop Century before and enjoyed it just fine. This time we could do All Star Movies. Hey, at about $100/night that might be a good way to balance out the cost of the Poly.
Off Property (?/night) - We go somewhere cheap to just plain crash Monday night. May be a hassle, but it would be a good bit cheaper.

So, the question becomes, what should we do?
I really think our best option for Sunday is to go to the Poly. Like I said, it is the resort we always look at on the Monorail and say "someday". And since the last round of play on Sunday starts at 1 pm (will probably be over by 3) that should give us some decent time at the Poly itself. That said, perhaps I have overlooked something and one of you lovely people will enlighten me.
I really don't think that I can swallow the extra $175 to stay at the Poly a second night as compared to the next most expensive option. So what should we do Monday night? Stay on property (mid or value)? Move off property? Looking for guidance from those who have stayed at any of these options and/or have swapped on-property hotels during a stay. Also, this will be our first Christmas time visit so anyone who has anything to chime in regarding the hotel choices specifically related to the holiday decorations would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

buzznwoodysmom
10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Have you considered Wilderness Lodge? It's the cheapest deluxe and you might be able to stay here for two nights for not much more than the cost of the Poly for one night. That would be my pick for any trip during the holidays. The lodge is absolutely stunning at that time of year.

I have no issues with splitting stays, we do it all the time. However, I don't think I would want to have one night at one resort, one night at the next resort, then go home. Seems like too much wasted time when you are already limited on your time in WDW as it is. I think the trip would be more enjoyable if you just stayed in one place for the two nights.

You also mentioned AoA. Would your 10 year old mind staying in a Little Mermaid themed room? The price you quoted is most likely a standard room at AoA, not a family suite. All the standard rooms are Little Mermaid themed. I don't think my boys would love that idea. LOL.

dislecksea
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
buzznwoodysmom - Thanks for the reply. Actually, according to Priceline Wilderness Lodge would just be about $15 cheaper than the Poly ($310/night), but it is good to hear that WL has good decorations. Anyone want to chime in on what decorations at the Poly are like?

Oh, and the Boy won't care about the theming of the room that much - I am sure he would prefer something a little more manly, but if a girly room gets him a trip to WDW, he won't bat an eye about making that deal. He is very practical.

Gator
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
For me, WDW is about the parks. If you go to Poly, you'll have to spend part of your day moving your belongings over to the next resort and checking in. Bad use of time IMHO.

I would go with Carribean Beach. It's a fun resort, but one that doesn't make you spend a lot of time exploring it. Plus, you get the advantage of EMH. I'd actually go with Coronado, but you didn't mention that one. Avoid Riverside.

Here's my strategy for the day - if it were me, that is. Just grab a bus to MK in the morning. Check out the new fantasyland and do your favorites. Then take the monorail over to Epcot so that you can spend a few hours there and maybe eat at some of their great restaurants. After that bus or boat over to the Studios where they'll have 3 extra hours of evening EMH. Then it's a quick bus ride back to CBR. Sounds perfect!

buzznwoodysmom
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
buzznwoodysmom - Thanks for the reply. Actually, according to Priceline Wilderness Lodge would just be about $15 cheaper than the Poly ($310/night), but it is good to hear that WL has good decorations. Anyone want to chime in on what decorations at the Poly are like?

You may want to check the official Disney site for pricing. WL is usually MUCH cheaper than the Poly. $15 less a night definitely doesn't sound right at all. What nights are you looking at????

As far as the decorations at the Poly....I didn't think that it felt like Christmas at all. We stayed at the Poly for 3 nights in early December once, following a weeklong stay at BC for Thanksgiving, and it didn't feel at all like Christmastime at the Poly. A tree or two, and a bit of garland maybe. It's such a tropical place that it's hard to pull off the Christmas feel there.

taleasoldastime
10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I have done a split stay before and I dont think I would do it again. It took away a lot of park time. With such little time in wdw I would imagine getting as much park time as possible is important to make it worth your money. Maybe staying at Poly would be a better idea on a longer stay where losing a couple hours of park time isnt a big deal.
i agree with the WL idea or trying AKL or maybe even one of the moderates.
Thats my opinion.

brownie
10-24-2012, 09:38 PM
:welcome:

dislecksea, welcome to INTERCOT!

dislecksea
10-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Again, thanks for the replys and FYI - I am not challenging the advice given, I just want to get more info.

taleasoldastime and Gator,
It is my understanding that if we pack up our bags and drop them off at the front desk in the a.m., then Disney will move them from one hotel to another while we are at the parks. Given that we are only staying 2 nights, I doubt that we would unpack all that much anyway so I don't see that as a big time sucker. Did you do this? I am wondering if it isn't as smooth as I thought.

buzznwoodysmom - I checked Disney. Perhaps the confusion is that I am finding the Poly much cheaper elsewhere than I am at the official site (2 nights + taxes and fees = $979 on Disney, $740 on Kayak). However, I did discover that I only get that rate from Kayak for 2 nights; I cannot get it for 1 night. The cheapest I have been able to find for 2 nights at WL is $675, so cheaper, but not that much. I don't see putting WL in the mix just because I am already leaning towards cheaper options that I think we would prefer (see AKL below).

Gator - you say avoid Riverside (FYI - $325 for 2 nights). I know nothing about it other than what you see on the web. Why would you say avoid? Is it not worth the $60 savings vs. POFQ?

All - Further research offers other options. For example, AKL for $519 and POFQ for $386. Coronado and Beach Club don't have availability.

So, assuming that I don't split resorts, now I would say my best options are:
1. Bite the bullet and go Poly for 2 nights at $740. However, the more that I think about it, the less I think I can justify the extra cost unless the experience is that much better (about $200 vs. #2 and $350 vs. #3 and $525 vs #4).
2. Go with AKL for $519. This is another one that was on our "someday" list. Anyone ever stayed there at Christmas? If the experience is better, I could see the extra $130 vs. POFQ being worth it.
3. Go with POFQ for $386. Now, I have never even thought about POFQ (or most of the other moderates). Nothing against them, they just weren't on our "someday" radar. I mean, we figure if you are going to dream, dream big and expensive. So perhaps this is a chance for us to change that. Again, would the experience be worth the extra $170 vs. a value resort?
4. I could also do ASMovies for $216 for 2 nights. Yes it would save me $170, but would we enjoy it as much given that we have stayed in values before?

I guess it comes down to this: we are going to have Sunday afternoon/evening and Tuesday morning to enjoy the resort. Typically when we go to Disney, our accommodations don't matter that much - we just crash there when we aren't in the parks. Which is why I thought this quick trip we might want to spring for a nicer place: to get the experience now since we are unlikely to stay at more expensive hotel when we are there for longer. Not that money is no object, but I am willing to pay any of these amounts if it is actually worth it. But I don't want to just blow cash for no reason. With that in mind I am leaning towards 2 or 3. What do you guys think now?

Again, thanks for your help!

lawgirl
10-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Would you consider AKL? It is so gorgeous at Christmas! The tree is amazing. It's my absolute favorite, and they are still running the special offer.

dislecksea
10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Would you consider AKL? It is so gorgeous at Christmas! The tree is amazing. It's my absolute favorite, and they are still running the special offer.

Well that is one vote for the Christmas decor at AKL.

lawgirl - What special offer? Is there one other than the fall/holiday discounts that I am missing? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

RedSoxFan
10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
AKL is just gorgeous with the Christmas decorations. I just love it there. We will be there again in 3 weeks for 12 days. You will love it there.

buzznwoodysmom
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Of your most recent list of options I'd defintely go with AKL. It's a wonderful resort, and if it's already on your "someday" list then why not???? We've stayed at both of the Animal Kingdom Lodge resorts and have enjoyed every minute of them. We prefer Jambo House, but both are great resorts.

I totally get what your saying about splurging for this shorter trip. The deluxe resorts are a lot to spring for when going for a week or more. By just doing two nights it becomes more affordable. The Poly has always been our "someday" resort, and when we finally stayed there it was just for 3 nights, but totally worth it. Only problem is, now we'd like to stay there for a full week in the warmer months someday. LOL.

I didn't realize you could get the Poly for so much less by booking outside of Disney. I've never dealt with priceline or kayak, mainly because when I've looked into them they had lots of fees. After reading your post I called a friend of mine who is staying at the Poly in Feb. The rates looked great on Priceline, until she saw all the fees. She's actually paying less for her week through Disney (with a discount) than she would have through Priceline, even tho Pricelines nightly rates looked to be less. The fees are a killer. I'd just double check all the fees to make sure your still getting a great deal.

lawgirl
10-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Well that is one vote for the Christmas decor at AKL.

lawgirl - What special offer? Is there one other than the fall/holiday discounts that I am missing? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

I was just referring to the special offer that's on the WDW site...I think its up to 30% room rates. We got a pretty decent deal on a standard room for this December.

It really is absolutely gorgeous! I am counting down the days until we are there for my bday!

One thing that I love especially about the AKL is that it truly makes you feel like you are in a completely different world...we've always wanted to do one of those luxury safaris in Africa, but for safety and financial reasons (and right now my kids are 2 and 5 months!) the AKL, for us, is as close as you can get to the real thing. And seriously, the Christmas tree could not be any more spectacular.

I hope wherever you end up you will have an amazing time! If the AKL doesn't work out this year, I hope you'll at least get a chance to swing by and see it, or try it out in the future!

lawgirl
10-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Haha...I admit I just fully read through the whole thread. I hadn't even read your comments above my first post. Sorry! Obviously from your comments you are considering the AKL. I should have read more in depth. Yes definitely worth the extra $$ over POFQ!

Having stayed at both Kidani and Jambo House, I would definitely stay at Jambo House for this trip, especially since it's only 2 days. Kidani is great, and we love it there, but the walk to the Mara for quick service food is really quite a hike, especially when you are tired and hungry! And the lobby at Kidani is much more intimate...great for chilling out and avoiding the hustle and bustle, but it definitely lacks the grandeur and awe factor of the main lodge lobby.

The only downside I can think of that some might find of AKL is that is more remote than the others, especially if you are considering the Poly or Contemporary. I personally love that it is "out of the way" and cannot say enough about the theming of the AKL. I've never noticed having to wait that long for the buses, but you can't just walk out of the lobby and hop on the monorail, which would be nice.

Gator
10-26-2012, 05:33 PM
taleasoldastime and Gator,
It is my understanding that if we pack up our bags and drop them off at the front desk in the a.m., then Disney will move them from one hotel to another while we are at the parks. Given that we are only staying 2 nights, I doubt that we would unpack all that much anyway so I don't see that as a big time sucker. Did you do this? I am wondering if it isn't as smooth as I thought.

Gator - you say avoid Riverside (FYI - $325 for 2 nights). I know nothing about it other than what you see on the web. Why would you say avoid? Is it not worth the $60 savings vs. POFQ?

I have never heard of Disney moving your bags to another resort. But then again, I've never stayed two night in two hotels. Still, I would bet that you'll have to check into the next hotel regardless. So your physical presence wil be required to move to a different hotel at some point.

As for Riverside, I'm curious why it's cheaper than FQ. I've never seen a price difference among moderates other Coronado, which is $5+ each night (which ain't much). If it's really that much cheaper, go with it, ask for a mansion, and pray to God you get it. The Alligator Bayou section over there is lousy. If all things are equal in price, I'd go with any of the other mods.

Lindsey310
10-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Agreed. Our favorite resort and the decorations are great at Christmas!! :mickey3:

dislecksea
10-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Just booked our two nights for AKL! :mickey:

Thought I would wrap up by letting you guys know that I appreciate your help and have heeded your opinions. I am also going to list the prices I got - should anyone be interested going forward.

I booked via Kayak.com (nope, don't work for them or have anything to do with them) for a Pool View (Savannah upcharge was about $100/night) room with a king bed + daybed for 2 nights at $240/night plus 64.80 in taxes and fees for a total of $544.80. Looking at the fine print it looks like Kayak is actually making the sale through Expedia (not affiliated with them either). I can cancel up until 5 days before we arrive, if that matters to anyone.

FYI - I did look at Disney's site - same configuration with taxes was $720.

We are really exited for our short little holiday trip. Thanks for everyone's help!

RedSoxFan
10-29-2012, 01:42 PM
I hope you enjoy AKL as much as our family does. It truly is unique as is the gift shop. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Yay for you for picking a place, and for finding such a great deal. I wish you guys a very fun trip!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-30-2012, 09:18 AM
If I couldn't afford the Poly, I would go with POFQ. The Poly would be nice if you can afford it though.:)

SBETigg
10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I think you will be happy with AKL. For future reference, though, you might want to look into Magical Journeys for price-comparison/booking.

If you're around here awhile, you will see posts with people raving about Magical Journeys, and it's not just because they're a site sponsor. It's honestly because they are that good. What they do is handle all the price comparisons and discount-searching for you. If something comes up with a better price even after they have booked you, they will get you the better price at no hassle to you. They don't charge you a fee. There's no charge! They just do all this work for you and help you find the best solution for your travel needs. Sounds too good to be true, but they really are that good and delightful to work with- delightful!

I just got to meet most of the agents, and these are people who care about you getting what you want for your vacation. I can't say enough about them. And if something goes wrong (hopefully never but things happen), you have a real live contact who will get in there and advocate for you instead of relying on whatever promise you had from an internet site. I use Kayak for travel outside of Disney, and I'm one of those people who used to search for the best price. Now I just tell MJ what I am looking for and my agent (Denise) sends an email after she has worked out the best offers that suit my needs.

BriarRose0708
10-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I think you will be happy with AKL. For future reference, though, you might want to look into Magical Journeys for price-comparison/booking.

I was just about to post this but Sherri beat me to it! (ps Sherri, why aren't you writing????)

Glad you are happy with the deal you found online, but I'd highly recommend contacting Magical Journeys next time. They do all the work for you and can do any number of price comparisons and split stay estimates for you. Plus they're about the nicest group of ladies you can find! The best part is, they're FREE!

lawgirl
10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
That's so exciting!! I hope you find AKL as magical as we do!