PDA

View Full Version : Rides they should get rid of

Lindsey310
10-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I saw another forum about over rated and under rated rides and it had me thinking: what are the rides in each park that you think should get replaced with something new? Here are a few of mine that we usually skip:

MK: Small world
Stitch's great escape (I really hate this one)
Tomorrowland speedway
Tiki birds

Epcot: universe of energy
The circle of life

Hollywood studios: American idol
Sounds dangerous starring drew Carey

Animal kingdom: Flights of wonder
Primeval whirl and the whole carnival theme

:mickey3:

RavsRuleDisney!
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
have to go with:

Stitch - yeah, you know
Dino-Rama - waste of prime-eval real estate (heh heh, get it?!)

Disneyatic
10-21-2012, 12:53 PM
MK: Small world
Stitch's great escape (I really hate this one)
Tomorrowland speedway
Tiki birds

:mickey3:

Oh my! Small World and The Tiki Room are two of my absolute faves, I watch them on youtube quite frequently to get my fix :secret:

My vote would go to
MK:
Tomorrow Land Speedway
DHS:
Lights, Motor, Action!

azcavalier
10-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Tomorrowland Speedway
Country Bears

That space at DHS where they keep putting stuff like the Narnia "attraction", which is now going to be....I don't even remember what they claim to be putting there. It doesn't matter. It's like the space is cursed. It's always awful.

taleasoldastime
10-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Mk: stitch (alien encounters was way better)
Tomorrowland speedway (if i wanted something like this id go to six flags)
Aladdins carpets (same thing as dumbo)

Epcot: circle of life

Hs: LMA
muppets 3D
American idol experience

AK: Dino rama

DTD: disney quest

Twilight
10-21-2012, 02:38 PM
MK~ Stitch
Tomorrowland Speedway

DHS~ American Idol
Lights, Motor, Action!
Journey to Narnia(this was non-sense)

TexasRoni
10-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Absolutely agree with Tomorrowland Speedway. We avoid that area completely due to the noise and smell...it's like listening to (and smelling the fumes of)a fleet of horribly running lawn mowers. Although, I'd actually prefer they just upgrade it to a less noisy version of it instead of getting rid of it altogether.

SBETigg
10-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm hesitant to say they should get rid of anything until they have a planned replacement. Even if I don't like a particular attraction, I like to think there is someone there at any given moment taking some of the crowds from where I am.

Dopey's Girl
10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm hesitant to say they should get rid of anything until they have a planned replacement. Even if I don't like a particular attraction, I like to think there is someone there at any given moment taking some of the crowds from where I am.

I agree Sherri. There is plenty that I'm not thrilled with, but if it has a line, those are people not taking up space where I'm heading!

LudwigVonDrake
10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
One attraction: Stitch's Great Escape. The one time I did it is time I'll never ever get back. Horrible :(

Gator
10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm glad Disney doesn't listen to everybody with an opinion. Saw where someone wants to dump Flights of Wonder - I like that attraction. It's not one of my favs, but I catch it once a trip. Also, my kids love Tomorrowland Speedway, so I'd hate to see that go away. And the Country Bears and Muppets 3D? How on earth does anyone think we should get rid of those? :jaw:

The only one I think should be replaced is Universe of Energy and maybe Stitch - but that's only if something good was waiting to go right in.

debbymc4
10-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Tomorrowland Speedway is one of my favorites from my childhood....great memories of riding it with my dad. I'm always against ditching the old rides because of memories. I'd be in favor of changing them to electric vehicles, though, based on the suggestion to make them quieter. More environmentally friendly, too!

I'm not a fan of the Stich attraction, but the Alien Encounter was absolutely terrifying. Let's not bring that thing back!!!

taleasoldastime
10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
well she did say "things that they should replace with something new"
I think it goes without saying that no one hates any ride enough that they would prefer a blank space.

mom2morgan
10-21-2012, 08:08 PM
NONE! Every single ride and attraction has its own following and those who love it. Heck, the original poster mentioned 3 of my favourites!

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
10-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I personally like stich but what I think should go is The Teacups. Always feel terrible afterwards but it looks so fun so I cant resist.

SBETigg
10-21-2012, 09:40 PM
I think it goes without saying that no one hates any ride enough that they would prefer a blank space.

Indeed, you are correct. It's still hard for me to say "get rid of this" when I know there are people who love it. Like It's a Small World, such an iconic ride.

But yes, I think not many people would actually miss Sounds Dangerous (I think it's already gone?) or Stitch's Great Escape. Even if replacements took some time to come around.

wdwfansince75
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Maybe Universe of Energy....but only if they replace it with a re-build of Horizons...

And as has been said, keeping ones I don't like draws crowds from the ones I love.

kakn7294
10-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Wow, you people don't like a LOT of stuff. I truly love most of it. My big exception - Primeval Whirl. There are some things I don't like to ride simply because being a big girl, I don't fit well but I still enjoy the attractions when I squeeze in.

Jim&AngieMarriner
10-22-2012, 09:40 AM
The only rides/attractions I would get rid of would be Stitch and Alladin's Carpets.

I only went on Stitch once and that was one hot dog burp to many.

As far as the Carpets go, well look, if you want a spining carnival ride, you already have the dual Dumbos and the Astro Orbiter. I got it, the ride doesnt take up a lot of space and I really dont know what could go in that space to replace it. But I think its one of the worst rides at MK. Just my opinion, your milage may vary.

Ms. Mode
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
One attraction: Stitch's Great Escape. The one time I did it is time I'll never ever get back. Horrible :(

Ditto! I can even live with It's A Small World, but Stitch...

Terra
10-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Oh shush your mouth you Speedway naysayers :secret: ;)

My sons LOVE that attraction!

I'm in the 'nothing' camp. Because this thread alone proves that we all have different tastes. There are some attractions my kiddos adore that I could skip all together, but ride because they love it. And I love to see them laugh with joy! I'm thinking the Tea Cups here :sick:

Tygger7
10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
From a personal, and "historical" perspective, I would NEVER suggest getting rid of Small World, the Tikki Birds or the Speedway. I guess once you know the back-story, it can give you a different appreciation of the ride. All 3 of those have DL versions and had direct involvement from Walt. I guess I'm pretty protective of the attractions that have such a strong tie-in. However, some of the newer attractions don't have much "history", nor are they on my "must do" list. As others have said, I would much rather have something than nothing and think that even changing these should wait until a suitable replacement is found. With that said, I could see updating/removing:

At MK- Stitch
At Epcot- UoE needs updating, but again something is better than nothing
At DHS - American Idol & Sounds Dangerous. LMA needs to be changed or updated.
At AK - There's not a lot there, but I would love to see something different in place of Primeval Whirl...just feels too "carnival" and "cheap"

Again, I would hate to see rides shut down and left to sit empty (like the Wonders of Life pav).

Cheshire_Girl
10-22-2012, 10:41 AM
I agree that getting rid of classic rides is not the way to go, however Stitch?? there is nothing classic about this "thing" I have avoided it like the plague. And Captain EO? Really? It was painful to watch!
Otherwise, leave it be! There is plenty that I don't like, that is someone else's favorite! And like so many here have said, it they're in line for their favorite-that means they're not in line for mine!!

laprana
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
I love just about every WDW attraction that is there now, but there are defintely a few that I would like to see replaced or revamped/updated. They are:

*Stitch: Get rid of it completely and replace it with something else! THE worst attraction in WDW, hands down.
*The Narnia/Jack Sparrow thing in DHS: Replace!
*The Backlot Tour in DHS: This used to be a lot of fun until they cut half of it out. Now it's just taking up space. Replace!
*Universe of Energy: I used to love this ride, but was bored out of my mind the last time I rode it a couple years ago. I would want it to stay, but it definitely needs an update!
*Journey into Imagination: Needs to be revamped with the DreamFinder brought back!
*Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama: Tear this whole area down and start over with something new!

bruin1344
10-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Captain EO (extremely outdated and whether Michael Jackson is guilty or innocent of his crimes, he still creeps me out)
Universe of Energy (too long, boring, and Im not an Ellen fan)
the whole Dino Land carnival thing (reminds me of rundown local carnival)

Mousemates
10-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Ellens.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
10-22-2012, 03:41 PM
None! I did say Teacups earlier but I changed my mind I have had some good memories on that ride.

CU Tiger
10-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Below are the rides that I thinkg should go. No referb or update will make these any better. I say replace and not just remove. It will cost money, but new rides draw more people into the parks, thus brining in more money.

Replace:
Stitch
Dino-Rama
Universe of Energy
Studio Backlot Tour

DNS
10-23-2012, 12:19 PM
MK - Tomorrowland Speedway

EP - Maybe the Wonders of Life pavilion, only because it is so rarely used. I'd rather they just open it back up.

DHS - Backstage tour, but I would prefer they just add some interest to it.

AK - That awful Dinorama carnival thing!!

We all have favorites and ones that we seldom or never do, but to be honest, the only thing that I think needs to go (instead of being updated) is that awful carnival thing at AK.

azcavalier
10-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Yes, it is interesting what people love and hate.

We love the Carnival area in Dinoland. Maybe we love it because it's always empty. I dunno, we just really enjoy it.

If there is an attraction that feels "cheap", to me it's the Country Bears. It's like Chuck E. Cheese on steroids. BUT, I can see why people want it to stay around, as it was one of Walt's ideas. It IS classic Disney. But so was Mr. Toad, and he's not found in WDW anymore.

I also like Stitch. I don't see why people think it's so awful. It has amazing animatronics. Sure, it doesn't fit within the "story" of the movie, but it's humorous enough to be enjoyable.

Tomorrowland speedway doesn't need to go, it just needs a complete overhaul. Electric engines would be awesome.

Lindsey310
10-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Exactly!! That was the whole point of this post! There are some rides that we skip every time...I think Disney needs to add new rides to keep the people that go every year (like me!) wanting to come back time after time. Just saying....:mickey:

joonyer
10-23-2012, 11:03 PM
TomorrowLand Speedway. OK, I don't hate it, and I won't say I wish it was gone, but of all the MK attractions I am the most disappointed that this ride is still around in it's original form.

It has no Disney magic in spite of the fact that it was a DL original. It is merely a copy of similar rides that were already in most of the tacky roadside amusement park that Walt was trying to "one-up" when he created DL, and he had to have some rides to compete with them. At MK, the attractions ought to be better and more imaginative and more magical that what you can find in an ordinary amusement park. Both of my six-year olds were excited to ride it until they got on it and discovered that unlike the "real" go karts they could actually race, steer and pass other cars with at our small town fun center, the Speedway cars were quote "lame"; and they never wanted to wait in line for it again.
On top of how "lame" the "driving" experience is, it is noisy, smelly and extremely slow loading. Worst of all is the complete lack of theming and imagination.

Which is to say, the ride is not beyond redemption. With some real Disney Imagineering work, the cars could be made electric, with sound effects, even voices, and every car could be a different character from a movie, I don't know, say . .CARS for instance? Then the track layout could be converted to a town, with sights to see, and even an indoor portion of the ride which could simulate the town at night, with all the retro neon lights, and cool music playing in the background. Then the ride would be worth experiencing and waiting in line for. Not that difficult to do.

texas211
10-24-2012, 09:22 PM
MK- Stitch
Epcot- Lion King movie, Mexico, most of the movies in WS, U of Energy
DHS- Backlost tour
Animal Kingdom- Pretty much anything but the Nemo Show.

Dtd- Disneyquest

Airblue1
10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
MK- tomorrowland

AK-Dino Land

Epcot- anything that is does not have a ride or a country name

DHS-Lights Motor whatever and the open non used spaces

Granny Jill A
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
AK - Dino-Rama Carnival - waste of good space and irritating to boot.

MK - Tomorrowland Speedway - noisy, fume-ridden, slow, out of date.

EPCOT - Update Universe of Energy

STUDIOS - Backlot tour needs updating.

chriscwest45
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Wow almost unanimous on Stitch. Problem is kids love that character for some reason...

I too have no care for the speedway but I can see why people do for nostalgas sake. I died a little when Mr. Toad's went out, and I hate that Snow White is gone now and would miss Country Bears and the Tiki Birds. The difference to me is that all of those things are distinctly Disney. I just took my son on a rinky dink car ride at a small town amusement park. If you took that ride out of context there would be nothing to make it FEEL Disney.

Circle of Life needs to go and needs Kitchen Cabaret back in the Land

I've never really thought about Dino-o-Rama one way or another and the carnival theme is cute, but again I could go to a real carnival. My son loves dinosaurs and is too small for Dinosaur so I think the Triceratops spin is just fine. Apparently kids don't understand all the flying spinning rides are the same, but thats just one of the things that makes them lovable.

WDWgoofy
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
AK - Dino-Rama Carnival - waste of good space and irritating to boot.

MK - Tomorrowland Speedway - noisy, fume-ridden, slow, out of date.

EPCOT - Update Universe of Energy

STUDIOS - Backlot tour needs updating.

I agree completely, but with the Captain Eo and Stitch added.

Also, can Disney not come up with something better than emptiness to replace the Wonders of Life?

Crow
10-27-2012, 03:38 AM
theres a lot i dont go on..idk if ive been on Dumbo, Carousel, speedway...at least since i was a kid. and never on Aladdin spittin camels at MK or AK Primeval whirl and such
but i agree if they take crowds from other rides
and dont close something wo a replacement.

arm00leg
10-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Stitch! Loved Alien Encounter, stitch is terrible.:down:

Renfairwedding
10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Stitch can go in my book. The rest is ok with me.

Plex
11-04-2012, 08:22 PM
MK - Stitch, Tomorrowland Speedway
AK - Everything in Dinoland except Dinosaur
DS - American Idol and Sounds Dangerous (not really rides, but gotta go)
EP - Ellen's Energy Adventure

W24toISMdirect
11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I think Future World in general just about needs a do over. I realize the original concept of corporate sponsored pavallions showcasing technical innovations fell apart but it was a good idea and gave us a much better park than what we have today. The main problem obviously is that what is futuristic today is hokie tommarow so in order to make it REALLY work your talking about near constant updates which is why the Future World I grew up on has been replaced by generic (if very well done) theme park attractions. I think there is an answer to making Future World truely a cutting edge innovation expo that is still a fun and exciting theme park expirience that will draw in the crowds without being completely cost prohibitive.

mariak
11-10-2012, 05:39 PM
MK -Stitch!

Epcot - Captain EO!!! I really wish Disney would re-make Honey I Shrunk the Kids movie and then re-make the attraction at Epcot. I LOVE Disney 3D (or 4D). Anway, that's my wish. That's it. Too much to ask? :fit:

Maria ;)

W24toISMdirect
11-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Epcot - Captain EO!!! I really wish Disney would re-make Honey I Shrunk the Kids movie and then re-make the attraction at Epcot. I LOVE Disney 3D (or 4D). Anway, that's my wish. That's it. Too much to ask? :fit:

Maria ;)

Captain EO needs to be replaced... but with something that is as big of a deal now as Captain EO was in 1986. Keep in mind that aside from being a vehicle for Michael Jackson (back when he was cool) Captain EO was produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola featured cutting edge 3D tech that wouldn't be surpassed for 20 years and was minute-for-minute the most expensive film ever made. It's needs to be replace by something on that same kind of level. Basically start with James Cameron and gogillion dollars or don't bother.

PlutoPlanet
11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Just one:
Stitch's great escape

floogen6
11-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Gotta go with Stitch on this one...but i also think that each of my kids have their own favorites that may not be the rest of the family's..one of them loves the swiss family treehouse...personally i could do without...but as one poster said earlier if they are in line it means they arent where I am heading....very good logic :thumbsup:

cer
11-14-2012, 12:54 PM
I know that a lot of you dislike the dinosaur area in Animal Kingdom. I am not necessarily a lover of it at face value, but Jack Spence wrote a blog about the back story to this area and it is amazing. It gives me a new respect for the space and the detail the imagineers put into it.

I am looking forward to re-visiting and checking out the details....

Anyway, thought you might find it of interest.

kohlby
11-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Stitch, without a doubt.

My kids love the Speedway so I don't want that to go.

I'm not a big fan of Lights!Motor!Action! but it was worth seeing it once. Skipping that makes fitting everything we want in one day at DHS.

My kids also love Captain EO. And Ellen was actually one of my kids favorite rides! I enjoy it too, but do think it could use a little updating.

So, just Stitch for getting completely rid of it. There are some rides that I'd love to see updated though.

Jayhorn
11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't want them to get rid of anything ... just add new stuff. I even love the things that I don't think are very good. :mickey: Not very realistic, but that would be my personal preferance.

DisneyDawgette
11-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Tomorrowland Speedway is one of my favorites from my childhood....great memories of riding it with my dad. I'm always against ditching the old rides because of memories. I'd be in favor of changing them to electric vehicles, though, based on the suggestion to make them quieter. More environmentally friendly, too!

I'm not a fan of the Stich attraction, but the Alien Encounter was absolutely terrifying. Let's not bring that thing back!!!

I totally agree with this first part. I'd never be on board with ditching things like Muppets 3D (I have always loved this) and CBJ. Nostalgia for the win.

Also, I'm not a fan of Stitch... glad we're all on the same page. I'd have no qualms about it being replaced with something new... or even resurrecting AE. ;)

However, in the realm of things being brought back to life-- Captain EO. WORST RIDE IN DISNEY HISTORY... and they brought the terrible thing back. Considered leaving half-way through on my last trip. :P

villavic
11-19-2012, 04:46 PM
I agree about thinking in a replacement, or even a "reinvented" version.

MK:
Tomorrowland speedway: never liked, I think they shold reinvent it,with the basic idea but new features to get real fun
Stitch's great escape: No idea why they replaced the Alien with the Stitch concept (copyrights?) but they should go back to the alien version.

Epcot:
universe of energy: With the all new things we see in other parks, and the new knowledge about energy and that stuff, it should be not replaced, but "reloaded" with new features and a new film.

Studios:
American idol. In this case, get rid of this! I never found this compatible with Walt Disney philosophy.

I read about some people dislike Small World. Forget it! It's a Disney landmark. It's unthinkable to replace it. I understand not everybody likes it, but it can't be a candidate to replace.

iluvdumbo
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
MK: Stitch - I've never been on it but I've heard negative things about it. I walked into the show area when it first opened and 'chickened out' because I thought it was going to look completely different than it looked.

EPCOT: UoE - The show is 45 minutes too long. We always skip it because it takes up so much of our time and I personally think it needs some updating.
Wonders of Life Pavillion - This is on my list of things Disney should reopen. The building is just sitting there collecting dust when they spent over thousands of dollars to keep it opened.
Captain EO - I'm sure that it was a loved attraction when it first opened but now it is outdated. Something else should go in there.
The shows that are in each country should close too I think. I'm pretty sure a ton of people skip them (including my mom and I).

DHS: LMA - If you are there at the right time of the day you get sweltered by heat and sun beating down on you. Add in flames from the show and you are dying from heat stroke. I personally think that is not the right area for that attraction.

If you don't agree, I'm sorry. This is just what I think needs to go. I definitely agree that before they close an attraction they should create a suitable replacement so then the area is not just sitting there collecting dust.

MNDisney Dad
12-18-2012, 07:03 PM
My boys love Primeval Hurl! Stitch has got to go!

tomorrow land fan
12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Great thread & great debates--although I've only been to MGM & ak once (despite probably 15 trips in 41 years ....)

Mk:
1. Tomorrowland speedway--never understood this ride. Kids love it (as did I my first trip at 6 yrs old, but ive only been on it once)!
2. Stich--understand trying to find a Place for stich in the mk, but I feel as if it's a reach ...
(always will miss mr toad & capt nemo & now snow white)...
Epcot
1. Universe of energy--didn't like it Pre Ellen & don't care for it now.
Haven't been on the new river Of time ride but I miss the original! Also miss body wars.
Animal kingdom
1. Like many others primeval whirl...
MGM
so unfamiliar with this park, just didn't do anything for me....I'll go with great movie ride.

I don't have a problem with the carpet ride in mk because I do see a fit (even if it's somewhat of a reach it's a fit). And sorry for hijacking the thread a bit ... But I'll always miss some attractions that have moved on!

riley1129
12-29-2012, 10:59 AM
i wouldn't get rid of much but mostly "revamp" a lot of things. I think that AK needs some work, but I wouldn't say get rid of anything.

kemps@wdw
01-01-2013, 07:41 PM
MK -Stitch
Tomorrowland Speedway
EPCOT - Circle of Life
Horizon
DHS - lights, motor, action
Sounds Dangerous
AK - pretty much all of din-o-rama

marlyn
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I've never actually been on teacups or astro orbitor :sick::ack: so I wouldn't care if they took them away.....but I can understand why others would like them.

Sounds Dangerous could go bye bye! It's lame.

thauenstein
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
The new Legend of Jack Sparrow at Hollywood studios was horrible. My 12 and 10' year old did not care for it at all. Stitch has got to go.

roses
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
None! Stop Avatarland! That's pretty much it. And I'd like to see the Speedway turned into something to do with Cars :car:

Not2Loud
01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Fun topic, but honestly, I hate every time an attraction leaves.

Primeval Whirl is a ton of fun. I went on it Monday with DW and 2 of our friends (4 adults). We all laughed and had a great time.

I think the only ride/attraction that may get an almost unanimous vote to let it go would be Stitch.

Just my 2 cents.