PDA

View Full Version : Seating in counter service

Pepefan
10-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Do they still require everyone in the group to stay together and receive their food before being seated at counter service places, or have they stopped that? The last time I was there, December '11, that was the protocol. It was annoying enough then, but we are going with my huge family in a few months, which includes several infants and toddlers. I'm really hoping they don't make us all stand up in the line area and wait for our food!

Strmchsr
10-17-2012, 04:26 PM
I think they still do that during the really busy times, like the week after Christmas, but not as a general rule during "normal" crowds.

bcornette
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I have never had to do that, and with 4 kids I am glad. I didn't even know that was ever a rule, but I avoid crowds at all cost.

Next trip is last week in February with touring plans estimated crowds below 4 almost every day. Some days are below 1.5 at some parks that week.

Gator
10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Oh, I forgot they were doing that. I hope they don't do that while we're there. It just so much easier to get the family's order and have them sit and wait for me.

AllDisney
10-17-2012, 04:57 PM
We were in WDW in December 2011 and had to wait at CS to be seated. No big deal.

This past September no waiting. I think they do this only during very busy times.

DizneyRox
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Busy times and it's a godsend! Nice being able to eat your food while it's still hot and not have to walk around looking for a seat while others without food look around avoiding eye contact.

I wish they would do this all the time...

mgmnut
10-17-2012, 06:29 PM
They were enforcing it when we were there in August . When we were at Pecos Bills and had our food on our trays we actually had cast members offer to find us a table.

EeyoresBestFriend
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree with previous poster - I found it to be a really nice to be able to find a table. Was in effect when we were there in late September.

Keep in mind that your crew can wait in the condiments area, too. They don't have to stand in line with you. Put them to work collecting ketchup and straws and stuff, etc :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
10-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Busy times and it's a godsend! Nice being able to eat your food while it's still hot and not have to walk around looking for a seat while others without food look around avoiding eye contact.

I wish they would do this all the time...

You and I are having completely different experiences.

When a mom with 4 kids has to walk around looking for a table while carrying a full tray, it's NOT a godsend. Busy means busy and this policy does not guarantee an empty table will be available.

KatrinaJ91
10-17-2012, 10:25 PM
I love when they don't allow people to take tables without food! It makes me so mad when we can't find a table to sit at once we have our food and there are people sitting without food. We have been going for years with little ones and sometimes with our whole extended family and would never dream of being that rude. If everyone doesn't want to wait in line, they wait off to the side or go gather napkins and straws until the food is received and then we sit down. Once at Flametree, we walked around and then stood with our trays for almost 15 minutes waiting for a table while several tables were occupied with people just waiting. We actually sat next to a man and his son (that did not have food yet), we ate our entire meal and whoever he was waiting for still had not shown up by the time we were leaving. Someone else could have eaten and left at his table before they got their food. This is one of my huge pet peeves and love when they restrict it!

DizneyRox
10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
You and I are having completely different experiences.

When a mom with 4 kids has to walk around looking for a table while carrying a full tray, it's NOT a godsend. Busy means busy and this policy does not guarantee an empty table will be available.
It does guarantee that the few 'open' tables are not occupied by people who may not have even gotten in line yet for food because they are waiting for someone else, or going to the bathroom, or whatever else. If I've already paid for and have my food in hand, there's no reason I shouldn't have rights to a table over someone behind me.

My experiences when they do this they ave also had CMs directing folks around to open tables.

magicofdisney
10-18-2012, 09:07 AM
My experiences when they do this they ave also had CMs directing folks around to open tables.

You are correct in that CMs have been known to assist. However, this last time I only got looks of sympathy, at best.

Pepefan
10-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Gosh, it never occurred to me that people would like this policy, but I guess I can see why that would be frustrating if you have your food and can't find a place to sit. I guess because I never hoard spots at these places, I assume others don't either. You know what happens when you assume! (Sigh) Why can't others just be a little bit courteous and think of other guests, so none of this would be necessary?

I grew up in a family with 14 children, several with severe disabilities. The other guests would not have appreciated if we all stood in the ordering area while my parents ordered and received all of our food! I'm thinking with my colicky infant and the other grabby little toddlers in my family, this would still be very annoying to the other guests in line! But if this is in effect when we go, as long as there are CM's to help us find a spot, I guess I won't worry. But if we don't get seated by the window to IASW at Pinnochio's Village Haus, there might be a toddler meltdown!

RavsRuleDisney!
10-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Hmmm....we have never really been down there during "peak" times and I never knew this seating system was utilized/enforced at CS meals.... I also have to admit I have been guilty of sending the 2 DS' to scout a table while we picked up the food. I can see how at really crowded times this could make things go a bit more smoothly. And hopefully my DS' haven't been getting evil stares all these years!! :D

Strmchsr
10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I also have to admit I have been guilty of sending the 2 DS' to scout a table while we picked up the food.

The much bigger issue is not with people in line actually planning on eating, but folks who come in just to sit down. They take up a table (or 2) with no intention of eating. That's when it's not fair to those who came to eat at that location.

AgentC
10-21-2012, 03:55 PM
They were doing this at Cosmic Rays on Friday. You could only enter through one door. You had to order food, then get in the line for a table. A cast member was directing people to the open tables.

Disney Doll
10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
We have never encountered this policy, but we generally avoid high crowd times so maybe that's it. Honestly, I wouldn't eat there if the rule was that I had to schlep my toddlers through a busy line. In fact I get annoyed when others have their kids in line. I'm there to order my food which I have already picked out and to get on with it. Kids just get in the way and slow the line. Plus, it's difficult enough to carry a tray piled with food and two giant adult drinks without having to deal with someone's kid darting under foot. I once witnessed a child cause a man to drop his entire tray at Peco's Bills just as he was exiting the food line.

When we grab a table we usually only wait about 5 minutes for DH so I really can't see that we are creating a huge inconvenience for someone needing a seat. It takes about 5 minutes to grab a highchair/booster, sanitize grubby hands, and get everyone seated anyway so our total table time isn't changed by the fact that one person is in line ordering food.

DizneyRox
10-23-2012, 12:37 PM
When we grab a table we usually only wait about 5 minutes for DH so I really can't see that we are creating a huge inconvenience for someone needing a seat. It takes about 5 minutes to grab a highchair/booster, sanitize grubby hands, and get everyone seated anyway so our total table time isn't changed by the fact that one person is in line ordering food.
It's not about only 5 minutes. It's about if everyone took an additional 5 minutes to eat.

For example, I'm going to use nice round numbers here, so it's not 100% accurate. Pecos Bill might have 100 tables, and be open for 8 hours a day. If the avg turn around time for a table is 30 minutes, that lets them seat 1600 customers. If they could cut that 30 minutes down to 25 minutes, that gives them an additional 32 "tables" that people could sit at; 32 more PAYING customers that put money in the cash register. If the avg customer spends $30 on food, that's $960 a day or $350,400 more a year in sales.

All for something as simple as cutting the time it takes for people to eat and leave the restaurant, by "only" 5 minutes.

And since you're back out in the park faster, you're getting more rides, walking through more gift shops, going by more street vendors and snack shops. CA-CHING!

DisneyFr33k
10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow! This is a hotter topic than I thought. I will be careful to not reserve a table next time! :blush:

Disney Doll
10-24-2012, 04:26 PM
It's not about only 5 minutes. It's about if everyone took an additional 5 minutes to eat.

For example, I'm going to use nice round numbers here, so it's not 100% accurate. Pecos Bill might have 100 tables, and be open for 8 hours a day. If the avg turn around time for a table is 30 minutes, that lets them seat 1600 customers. If they could cut that 30 minutes down to 25 minutes, that gives them an additional 32 "tables" that people could sit at; 32 more PAYING customers that put money in the cash register. If the avg customer spends $30 on food, that's $960 a day or $350,400 more a year in sales.

All for something as simple as cutting the time it takes for people to eat and leave the restaurant, by "only" 5 minutes.

And since you're back out in the park faster, you're getting more rides, walking through more gift shops, going by more street vendors and snack shops. CA-CHING!

I think you missed my point. I will still need 5 minutes to round up boosters and get situated. Whether or not we do that while DH is in line or after he joins us, we will still be using those extra 5 minutes. If I can start the process while DH is ordering we finish sooner and are out the door. Our total time at a table is the same regardless.

joonyer
10-24-2012, 06:02 PM
It is really a very simple question: Which is more "unfair"?

1) making people stand and wait until they get their food to sit down and occupy a table?

Or,

2) making people who have already ordered and paid for their food stand and wait holding their food while people who are not eating yet are occupying tables?

Both are inconvenient, but only one answer can be considered "unfair".