PDA

View Full Version : Finally caved to the iphone

Dulcee
10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I think my husband and I may be the last twenty somethings without smart phones! But last night we finally updated our verizon wireless account to a data package and ordered iphones. DH is ecstatic. He's also fully aware that this was primarily done so I can access wait times on our phone for our upcoming honeymoon in December.:blush:

So school me iphone users, what Disney apps do I need to download when my phone shows up tomorrow??:mickey::mickey:

Melanie
10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Honestly, the official Disney Experience app (I think that's what it's called now) is probably your best bet. The other 'unofficial' apps rely on user input and I never found their wait times accurate.

Dopey's Girl
10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the iWorld. It's a fun little gadget!

I deleted all the others and only use the My Disney Experience app. The others were unreliable, and didn't have the best dining info. I love being able to see what is available for ADR's on the spot, since I hate planning so far out!

SBETigg
10-17-2012, 03:50 PM
I agree with Melanie. My Disney Experience is my favorite of the apps.

TinkerbellT421
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Besides my Disney Experience like the others suggest I enjoy the Memories app which lets you decorate picture into Disney inspired pictures! :)

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
All I can say is once you start using it you won't be able to live without it. I am lost without mine, as pathetic as that sounds. LOL.

Melanie
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
All I can say is once you start using it you won't be able to live without it. I am lost without mine, as pathetic as that sounds. LOL.

The phone? Absolutely. I'm horribly addicted. :blush:

Disney Hungarian
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree with others. My Disney Experience is the best.

AgentC
10-17-2012, 04:31 PM

:ditto: I think mine is permanently attached to my hand.

Dopey's Girl
10-17-2012, 04:32 PM

Pathetic, not at all. It's like an extension of my hand now! I went from a pay as you go, flip phone to the iPhone 3G and you would have thought I died and went to heaven. Can't even fathom life without my 4 now!

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Yes, the phone. LOL. I use it for EVERYTHING.

MNNHFLTX
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Love my iPhone, almost more than my husband (just kidding!!!!!!) :D

My Disney Experience is the best WDW app. I used to use the Mobile Magic app, but I hear they are phasing that out.

mariak
10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm so glad to see this. I have more than a page full of Disney apps and I like most of them. WDW Waits, WDW Hours, and WDW Dining (all by VersaEdge) have always seemed to be pretty accurate but I'm so excited to try "My Disney Experience"! It's downloading now.

Thanks everyone!!!

Maria

Lindsey310
10-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Love my iPhone! Obsessed with (and check even when I am home) the Disney app mobile magic and the new beers and ears app which locates different kinds of beers where you are. You will love it!!

The Disney mobile magic app was fantastic when we used it in the park I'm September. :mickey:

princessgirls
10-17-2012, 10:53 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE My I-Phone!!!!

I am horribly addicted as well. It's bad. It's just such a good overall product, and the battery life on my 4 is awesome!!!!

Just can't say enough good stuff about it. It does EVERYTHING well!!

Congratulations on your new purchase! Now, go out and get a good case for it!
Julie:mickey:

2Epcot
10-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Both me and my wife just switched to iPhones as well. I've had other smartphones, but this is her first one. Though we do have an iPad. I'm a long time Sprint person, so I held out until they got it, then waited another year for the iPhone 5.

We've only had the phones for less than two weeks, so I'm still adding apps. I will certainly check out the Disney Experience app.

Dulcee
10-18-2012, 08:37 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE My I-Phone!!!!

I am horribly addicted as well. It's bad. It's just such a good overall product, and the battery life on my 4 is awesome!!!!

Just can't say enough good stuff about it. It does EVERYTHING well!!

Congratulations on your new purchase! Now, go out and get a good case for it!
Julie:mickey:

Thanks for the reminder on the case! DH is a cop and I'm sure it'll take a beating. I'll be out today looking for a heavy duty one for him.

TiggeRia
10-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the reminder on the case! DH is a cop and I'm sure it'll take a beating. I'll be out today looking for a heavy duty one for him.

The Otterbox Defender series makes some awesome heavy duty cases.

I am going phone shopping today and am torn between the Galaxy 3s and the iphone5. I have had a DroidX for two years and despise it, which makes me lean towards the iPhone, but I am wary of the battery life. I have heard it's not so good, and unfortunately with Apple there is no buying a spare battery :(

TinkerbellT421
10-18-2012, 08:47 AM

Get the military spec Otter Box for him. That thing is crazy durable! DBF works a lot on the road at construction sites in our business and he had to get the Military spec otter box because it is so durable that dropping it a few times won't damage it! :thumbsup:

TiggeRia
10-18-2012, 08:47 AM
And the Otterbox is usually much better priced on Amazon.

Melanie
10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
unfortunately with Apple there is no buying a spare battery :(

Why can't you buy a spare battery? I have three. :)

ETA: Are there no spare batteries available for iPhone5's?

TiggeRia
10-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Really?? I have been told you can't! This may play a big part in my decision today!!

Ed
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Why can't you buy a spare battery? I have three. :)

ETA: Are there no spare batteries available for iPhone5's?

Okay, educate this :old: technology dinosaur - - how can you swap batteries on an iPhone? Mine appears to be a sealed unit. :shrug:

TiggeRia
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
I just started researching this after reading Mel's post. The only thing I am really finding is that you can buy an external battery pack charger which will recharge your phone on the go, which actually looks pretty decent. I didn't really see anything about actually changing the battery. I, too, always assumed it was a sealed unit and you were stuck with the one battery it came with. Am I missing something? Even if I can't change the battery, I think I will purchase a recharger for whatever phone I choose.

2Epcot
10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
The Otterbox Defender series makes some awesome heavy duty cases.

This is exactly the case I got for my iPhone. I researched cases for about 2 weeks and got both of our cases before we got our iPhones. I needed a more heavy duty case, since I often work outside in various locations. I got my wife the Splash case.

I just started researching this after reading Mel's post. The only thing I am really finding is that you can buy an external battery pack charger which will recharge your phone on the go, which actually looks pretty decent.

I've also been researching charging units. I'm used to needing to recharge my phones often. I had two batteries for my Droid, including a extended battery. I always had a car charging cord as well. My wife isn't used to having to charge her phone so often. There are a few units I saw on Amazon. I will be getting one next month. It will definitely come in handy when traveling.

TiggeRia
10-18-2012, 11:48 AM
I've also been researching charging units. I'm used to needing to recharge my phones often. I had two batteries for my Droid, including a extended battery. I always had a car charging cord as well. My wife isn't used to having to charge her phone so often. There are a few units I saw on Amazon. I will be getting one next month. It will definitely come in handy when traveling.

I started looking at the New Trent IMP120D iCarrier because it does both the phone and tablet at the same time. I used to carry spare batteries, but I am thinking this is the better option for me and think I am going to order it for next week's trip. :)

AgentC
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I just started researching this after reading Mel's post. The only thing I am really finding is that you can buy an external battery pack charger which will recharge your phone on the go, which actually looks pretty decent. I didn't really see anything about actually changing the battery. I, too, always assumed it was a sealed unit and you were stuck with the one battery it came with. Am I missing something? Even if I can't change the battery, I think I will purchase a recharger for whatever phone I choose.

Yes, you can't actually get a battery to put inside but you can get an external battery. There are cases with them built in. I have a Mophie Juice Pack which will charge the battery when it runs low. It's small enough it in my purse.

MNNHFLTX
10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a Boost case, another brand of cases with the external battery built in. It doubles the amount of time I can use my iPhone between charges (I now charge every other day instead of every day). And it's one of the lighter ones on the market; one of the drawbacks of the external battery cases is that they add a little heft to the phone.