PDA

View Full Version : Backstage Magic Tour vs. Keys to the Kingdom

azcavalier
10-17-2012, 01:33 PM
I didn't know about the Backstage Magic Tour until this weekend. We were researching the various tours here on Intercot and saw that one.

My DW and I will be going to WDW without the kids in April, and we are considering doing one of these tours. Suggestions? I'm sure they're both spectacular.

BowTie7
10-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Backstage Magic is kind of a once in a lifetime experience. Its pricey, but since its an entire day, only the best of the best of tour guides will host this tour. Keys to the Kingdom departs multiple times each day.

If you primarily want to see the utilidor under the Magic Kingdom, Keys may be enough. Backstage will take you to several parks.

As far as the cost, both include lunch (but Backstage should be nicer). Keys requires Magic Kingdom admission for the day while Backstage doesn't require park admission for that day. Depending on how many days you plan on paying for admission, this could make Backstage a bit more affordable.

Before you book the Backstage, I suggest you Google recent reviews of the tours to see what stops the tour has been currently making--this may help you decide if you want a full day. I can't comment on this since its been a long, long time since I did this tour and I know that several highlights of my tour will have changed. Okay, to brag, when I did the tour we got to see the Wonders of Life simulator from backstage--moving around quite a bit more than I expected, took an animation drawing and painting lesson at the operating animation building (still have the cell I painted), lunch (at Mama Melrose's) included a private performance by a Studios street performer with a backstage question and answer session following, and a visit to the Magic Kingdom parade control/computer room (where even the tour guide seemed amazed to just how much the staff encouraged us to come in and continued to answer questions even as the parade was going on). A great day.

mdhiggin
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Is the Keys to the Kingdom tour a lot of walking?

2Epcot
10-18-2012, 07:03 AM
I've only done the Backstage Magic Tour, and it has also been many years ago for me that I did it as well. I loved it, and would certainly do it again if I had the chance, and the time. For me I felt it was well worth the money.

azcavalier
10-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Awesome. I will definitely google it. Is this something that we have to book far in advance?

BowTie7
10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Backstage Magic is only offered on select days and only holds a small group--it would be best to book as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment. Keys to the Kingdom is offered several times each day, but I've read some postings suggesting the earliest time was the best (possibly longer tour as well as being allowed to enter Main Street early).