PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Gem and Never again

koppa33
10-16-2012, 08:58 PM
What do you consider to be the hidden Gem in ts in Disney?
What place do you LOVE?

and for the oppostite

Which place do you think is overrated? and what place do you say you will never eat at again?

buzznwoodysmom
10-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Hideen Gem: Grand Floridian Cafe

Never again: 1900 Park Fare

tinxmom
10-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Hidden Gem - The Plaza Restaurant in MK - great food, fun server, yummy ice cream and shakes, can't beat the convenience of the location.
Never Again - Whispering Canyon Cafe - food was uninspired, server was uninterested, and location made it hard to get to via Disney transportation (a lot of time and connections, for a not great meal)

Dopey's Girl
10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Hidden Gem: Grand Floridian Cafe, yummy food, never packed, beautiful setting, wonderful service.

Never Again: Cinderella's Royal Table. The food was just ok, the service was rotten, and those princesses could not have been less interested to be that. Add that all to the price, and there are far better character meals to be had.

lawgirl
10-17-2012, 09:30 AM
We have always LOVED the San Angel Inn. We went about 3 weeks ago, and it was the best meal we've had in a while. Our waitress was wonderful, the food was great, the atmosphere is the most magical in WDW to me. We loved it, and have nothing negative to say about it. Also, love all of the AKL restaurants, especially Jiko and Sanaa.

Our least favorite (even thought I don't like to say "never again") is Tokyo Dining. It was super jam packed, really noisy (to the point that I couldn't hear our server), and the food was just so-so.

Itchy
10-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Hidden gem: The Wave, great food and service. A nice place for a quiet dinner.

NEVER AGAIN: Capt Jacks, Terrible food, terrible service. nuff said....

Tigerinvestigator
10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Hidden Gem: Kona Cafe
Never Again: Big River Grille and Brewing Works

ThanxForNoticin
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
We have always LOVED the San Angel Inn. We went about 3 weeks ago, and it was the best meal we've had in a while. Our waitress was wonderful, the food was great, the atmosphere is the most magical in WDW to me. We loved it, and have nothing negative to say about it. Also, love all of the AKL restaurants, especially Jiko and Sanaa.

Our least favorite (even thought I don't like to say "never again") is Tokyo Dining. It was super jam packed, really noisy (to the point that I couldn't hear our server), and the food was just so-so.

Ironically, our hidden gems would be Tokyo DIning and Sanaa. We seek them out whenever we can. It really is amazing how the timing and experience of an evening at one of these places can affect our opinions.

Our least favorite (because of 2 bad experiences) is Coral Reef, but I know plenty of people who love it there!

Zimkeeper
10-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Hidden Gem: Kona Cafe. Always a great meal.

Never Again: Cape May Cafe. We have been here for dinner twice but found it to be a bit disappointing the second time.

Gator
10-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Hidded Gem: Teppen Edo - you don't hear much about this place, but I love to eat here. The steak is really good, and scallops are incredible. Great atmsophere and a good price for those not on the DDP.

Overrated: Garden Grill - I heard so much hype, but I was really let down. I'm not saying I wouldn't return, but I don't see the point will all other great places to eat at Epcot. *side note-Be Our Guest is overrated, though I've never been there. It simply can't live up to the hype it's received.*

Never Eat Again: San Angel - Bland food, slow service, and never able to get a good table = never return.

epceddie
10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Hidden Gem: Wolfgang Puck Express DTD. We love the pizzas, the chicken, the meatloaf, the pastas, and the creme brulee. We're going to wear them out when we visit in December on the quick-service dining plan.

Never Again: California Grill. Too noisy and chaotic and we're not crazy about the menu or the prices. The best part for us was getting to watch Wishes from the observation deck.

mom2morgan
10-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Hidden Gem? 'Ohanas. LOL - okay, that is SO not "hidden" but is the only place we all whole-heartedly adore and will eat over and over.
Never again? Honestly - most character meals. Tired of mediocre food, chaotic environment and being rushed through our meals. But if Whispering Canyon doesn't go back to a full menu it will be the one place I wouldn't go back to even if I was starving to death.

mydisneygirls
10-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Hidden Gem: Captain's Grille. This was the first time eating here on our recent trip. Loved it. Steak was cooked just right and it was so tender.

Never Again: (2) Chefs de France and Whispering Canyon.

Speaking of Whispering Canyon, I hope that if enough people stop going they'll change the menu back to what it was!

PlutoPlanet
10-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Hidden Gem: Kouzzina. Love the menu. Several great choices. Lots of people don't go to the Boardwalk, especially in the early evening.

Never Again: Yachtsman's Steakhouse. Too expensive without being worth it.

azcavalier
10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Hidden Gem: Columbia Harbour House. It's the one place we go that never seems crowded, yet we love the food and the 2nd floor. I know everyone knows about it, yet it never is busy when we go.

Never Again: Kouzzina. We had ADRs for the Maya Grill, but when we showed up, the restaurant was closed because their grill was non-functional. So, we scrambled into Kouzzina. We got there, and had a long wait. The server was friendly enough, but we rarely saw her. When we got our food, it wasn't bad, but we were less than impressed. It may be that we were just having a long evening, and we weren't excited to be there in the first place, but we just didn't care for the menu.

Disney Doll
10-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Hidden Gem: Rose and Crown- It may not really be hidden, but it's not one of those reservations people scramble to get 180 days out and we've been able to get same day ressies there. The food is amazing!

Never Again: Coral Reef and San Angel. Food is mediocre at both. The tables at San Angel are packed into that dining room like sardines and the service at Coral Reef has been horrible both times we've tried it.

taleasoldastime
10-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Hidden gem: artist point- the mushroom soup is to die for

Never again: sci-fi dine in- very plain and limited menu and the food had no flavor. I could make better at home.

CMCTxMom
10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Overrated: *side note-Be Our Guest is overrated, though I've never been there. It simply can't live up to the hype it's received.*

How can BOG be over-rated when it's not even open yet? I think the video and pictures of the decor/atmosphere far surpass the hype - the effects are amazing!

NJGIRL
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Hidden Gem...The Plaza Restaurant

Never Again...Tony's

kbean
10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Gem for me was Boma cafe. When I went, majority of food was great. Not crowded.

Never again: house of blues. Food wasn't all that. Very crowded and loud.

DizneyRox
10-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Hidden: Probably Captain's Grill or Trail's End. Never had a problem getting into either, last time, TE was EMPTY.

Never: Everything at the Polynesian. Never had a good experience there, no need to go back and try my luck.

1DisneyNut
10-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Hidden Gem: Can't really think of anything that I would call a hidden gem. They are pretty much all just mediocre, all about the profit meals these days.

Never Again: I do have an absolutely, unequivocally never again: Cinderella's Royal Table. Worst food by far we have ever had at WDW along with not so great service. :ack:
I would say it is worth about $9.99 a plate at most. I have had .99 frozen tv dinners that were much better.

Airblue1
10-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Gem- Tusker house, breakfast

Terrible- CRT