PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 earthquake in Maine!

TinkerbellT421
10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
So, I live in Rhode Island, but a little while ago I was in my kitchen when I felt nauseous and had to hold the counter and my cupboards started shaking (not violently but subtly enough to hear clacking). So, come to find out there was a 4.6 earthquake in Maine!

Hope any fellow intercotees from Maine are okay and that there were no serious injuries! I was shocked I could feel it being that far away and what seems to be a small number for an earthquake. Did anyone else feel it in the New England area?!? when was the last time New England had an earthquake?

faline
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
We were sitting in our family room when we could hear it and our chairs started shaking - lasted about 5 seconds. I remember feeling one a number of years ago - it was so subtle that had I not been in a very quiet place, I probably would have missed it - felt/sounded like a truck going by but I wasn't close enough to the road to hear that. I'm not sure when the last one was but New England typically gets some minor ones every year though there's conjecture that we are overdue for a much larger one.

MNNHFLTX
10-16-2012, 07:40 PM
How bizarre. I'll have to get in touch with my NH friends and see what they experienced.

TinkerbellT421
10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Faline - I thought it was a truck too!!! And thought my feeling of like loss of equilibrium for lack of a better description was just a coincidence, but then I had it on the news and they were doing it love and they interrupted it to talk to their staff of what had just happened! Is it common to feel sick like that? DBF said he heard that it messes with you like that. That was my first time feeling one!

Beth- according to the news a lot of states across New England felt it and I'm not good at maps but I think New Hampshire is closer to Maine more than Rhode Island? I'll be interested in hearing what they felt being closer!

missymouseworld
10-16-2012, 08:34 PM
When NJ had an earthquake in the summer of 2011, right afterward my son got a horrible migraine, with nausea. He never had one before or since then. Some people say it can affect people differently.

ChipDale2708
10-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm in CT - I didn't feel it because I was working in my basement, but my cat who had been playing near me started crying and then came & sat in my lap. She probably felt it and got scared or was trying to alert me. We felt the one in 2011 - that was enough for me.

SBETigg
10-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm in CT, too. I was driving through Canton, didn't notice it. But lots of people in my area are saying they felt it.

Capt_redshirt
10-17-2012, 12:32 AM
In Ct too ... didn't feel a shaking but did feel a bit disoriented at my desk wasn't sure what was going on

BrerGnat
10-17-2012, 08:13 AM
It's so weird to feel an earthquake, especially in a place where it's not common.

I lived in California for 17 years. The most powerful earthquake I ever felt was when I lived in NEW JERSEY!

Ironic.

Glad there was no major damage from this.

wildernesslady
10-17-2012, 09:26 AM
When NJ had an earthquake in the summer of 2011, right afterward my son got a horrible migraine, with nausea. He never had one before or since then. Some people say it can affect people differently.

We were at the Jersey shore when that happened. I got the aura feeling that I get before a migraine. Luckily that was all. I never got the migraine. After what happened in Japan, I did make my family leave the beach. I was not going to take a chance. What a crazy feeling.

TinkerbellT421
10-17-2012, 10:35 AM
It's so weird to feel an earthquake, especially in a place where it's not common.

I lived in California for 17 years. The most powerful earthquake I ever felt was when I lived in NEW JERSEY!

Ironic.

Glad there was no major damage from this.

Now that IS ironic! lol!!

Of course about TWO minutes after the earthquake there were already sarcastic meme pictures on facebook about it lol. Never takes long these days on the interwebs! Funny cause a friend posted on fb that he was in Boston and the second he felt it he ran for cover and he proclaimed it was because of the "Californian" in him but his New England friends just sat there looking at him like he had a million heads. lol

figgie
10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Glad it wasn't "The Big One" for you and all sounds like you survived ok. A couple of years ago, I was sitting on the couch watching TV and felt like I was shakking. Thought there was something wrong with me. Stood up and walked around and sat down again. Still felt off for a while. Then it came on TV that we had just had an earthquake, small, but I really felt it. Strange since we live in Florida! Yes, we had an earthquake that was strong enough to feel, in Florida, less than an hour from "The Mouse"! Happens everywhere...glad you are fine.:eek2:

darthmacho
10-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I live in MA. Was in bed for a pre-work nap when it happened. No joke, I jumped up, turned on the lights, and looked under the bed. I seriously thought I was experiencing paranormal activity. It wasn't until my wife and kids came upstairs that I realized it was an earthquake. For the record, I don't even believe in ghosts... :blush:

bruin1344
10-20-2012, 09:35 AM
I didnt feel it in Canton, MA but a decent amount of people that I know around the Boston area felt it. I might have been driving during it. I did not feel the earthquakes last year either when it hit the east coast.

lovewalt
10-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi All,
Coming out of lurker mode for an earthquake report from Southern Maine.I was at work when it hit and given the hospital's proximity to the airport,my first though was a plane crash :eek2:
Fortunately,it was not and we're all okay despite being a little "shaken up"!
:paranoid: :hide2: :bolt::help::shrug::dizzy::whew: