PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Seeds Tour

BigThunderFan
10-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Has anyone ever done this tour, what was your experience? Our kids loved the Living with the Land ride and saw one of the tours and wanted to do it but at the time I didn't know they were old enough. Now I see this is not one of the over 16 tours, and we are thinking about it.
How far in advance to book? Can we just book it when we are there?

Mickey'sGirl
10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
You should be able to register for a tour when you are there ... same day even. We took our then 12 year old and 6 year old sons a couple of years ago, and we all really enjoyed it. It lasted about an hour, and it was pretty cool to see things that we saw on the boats from land! We are DVC members and were able to get a discount. You should ask when you book if you are eligible for any discounts. :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
10-12-2012, 10:19 AM
My aunt had been with us and loves to garden so we did this tour. Didn't think my ds7 would get much out of it, but he did. He loved it and has helped my aunt with her garden since that tour. LOVED IT!!!!

missymouseworld
10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
If you area Disney Visa cardmember, check on their site, they give a 15% discount off this tour.

azcavalier
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Yep, it's a nice tour. It's not action packed or anything, but it was cool to see behind-the-scenes at the Land, and it was interesting.

You don't have to book this tour in advance.

faline
10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
The day we did it, the very next tour was full but the one after that (same day) had plenty of openings. There are several discount options including an annual passholder discount. We had one child in our tour group and he did very well. He even got to release some ladybugs during the tour. Even as a non-gardener, I enjoyed the tour.

Gator
10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
The Disney Visa gets you that precious discount. I liked the tour, but my wife didn't enjoy it that much. It's kinda like a Living with the Land ride, but longer. Kinda like fireworks in California. The big ones do what the small ones do - they just last 3 mintues instead of 20 seconds.

BigThunderFan
10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! We do have a Disney Visa so will be glad for the discount!

MargaretMessler
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
We booked it in the morning before we headed out to the parks, but it looked like there were still openings as we were getting there - not for our tour but for others after ours. Also I think there may be a AAA discount as well

I liked it, I'm not HUGE into gardening and planting, but it was interesting and they made it very interesting for all ages. No one seemed bored

KatrinaJ91
10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
We did this in June for my husband's birthday and we loved it. It was very interesting and so cool to see things behind the scenes. There were a few kids on our tour and they seemed to really enjoy it!

Joannelet
10-16-2012, 05:46 AM
We did this tour last October. We had a group of 4 adults and 4 children. The children's ages were 1, 3, 6, and 7. I have to say the kids and adults enjoyed it. We are also not gardeners but we love the ride. My 3 year old still talks about this tour and on our recent trip made me ride the ride 4 times so he could talk about what he remembered. He got to release ladybugs. The kids had a blast doing that. They got to feed the fish which was really neat. Definitely an interesting tour!
Enjoy!

buzznwoodysmom
10-16-2012, 09:19 AM
We did this tour back in 2009. It was myself, my mother, my sister in law, and 4 boys, ages 7, 7, 9, and 14. We really enjoyed it. We did the tour in the afternoon, then had dinner at Garden Grill that night, followed by a ride on Living with the Land. At dinner the boys talked about how some of our veggies or the fish may have been selected from the gardens we toured earlier that day. I felt is was a great, inexpensive way to do something new!

BigThunderFan
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! One more question, is there a better time to do this? I was planning on afternoon so we wouldn't miss out on any touring time, but if there is a better time (for feeding fish, releasing ladybugs, etc...) I would love to know that too!

Plex
10-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Totally awesome and a must-do for the scientifically-inclined. Lots of fun for everyone. Takes some time out of your day, but it's well worth it and it's a fairly unique experience that you'll remember for a long time!

sportsguy2315
10-19-2012, 03:02 AM
I did it last year on my CP. Not only was it fun (As soon as I revealed I was a CP, the guide felt guilted into giving me the leftover snacks :) ), its relatively inexpensive, and I found it to be a fun talking point with guests after the tour. I even met a former science teacher from Anchorage who used hydroponics in her home and her classroom.