PDA

View Full Version : Life changing events around the time you go to WDW

Katzateer
10-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Does any else have BIG life-changing events happen around the time you go to WDW??

I always get nervous when our trip gets closer because it seems we always have something big happen within a few weeks of our trip.

The worst was about 8 years ago when my husband lost his job a week after we got back from a December trip. Took us a few years to recover from that one.

We leave in less than 2 weeks and I am hoping out big event has already happened. For a variety of reasons, I changed jobs. I told my new employer I had a vacation coming up that had been in the plans for over a year and said if hired, I was still going. They said that was fine.

So now I just need to relax and enjoy the trip!:mickey:

Dopey's Girl
10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I haven't had anything like that until this trip.

My brother is going through a divorce, and it's gotten pretty messy. He only works at his paying job part time nights, because for 12 hrs a day, he works at his real job, raising my niece and nephew. So money for him is very, very tight, because for the time being, he still needs to be sharing in the bills for the home he's no longer living in. I have had to help pick up the slack for a bunch of his bills. It means fewer goodies get to come home from WDW with me (no new Dooney this time), but it's worth it, knowing that my 2 favorite people get to be home with their Daddy every day.

So here's to getting to Icot15 and having a good time, regardless of what real live is throwing at us all! :marg:

MW1218
10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
I have a good AND a bad one from our last trip, which was exactly a year ago.

While down there, we got a call from the adoption agency that we'd been working with that a birth mother had chosen us to adopt the baby when she gave birth. We were completely thrilled!

Until we got home, and I lost my job four days later. Things were scary for awhile, but we made it through, I found a new job, and now we'll be taking our beautiful baby girl to Disney World for her first birthday in February. :mickey:

Katzateer
10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
we'll be taking our beautiful baby girl to Disney World for her first birthday in February. :mickey:

That is so exciting!! We starting taking our girls young and its so much fun to see the different ways they enjoy WDW as they grow. My youngest was so into the characters and I have adorable pictures of her 1st trip.

Katzateer
10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
So here's to getting to Icot15 and having a good time, regardless of what real live is throwing at us all! :marg:

:thumbsup:See yousoon!!

Dopey's Girl
10-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a good AND a bad one from our last trip, which was exactly a year ago.

While down there, we got a call from the adoption agency that we'd been working with that a birth mother had chosen us to adopt the baby when she gave birth. We were completely thrilled!

Until we got home, and I lost my job four days later. Things were scary for awhile, but we made it through, I found a new job, and now we'll be taking our beautiful baby girl to Disney World for her first birthday in February. :mickey:

Aww!!! So sweet! :thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
10-11-2012, 10:52 AM
:thumbsup:See yousoon!!

Can't wait!!!

SBETigg
10-11-2012, 10:57 AM
For me, I got some good career news a few weeks ago that put me on a super tight deadline and I have been working like a fiend. So not as much time to enjoy pre-planning and dreaming, but all good things ahead so no complaints. Even if I get no sleep at ICOT 15 because I'm writing in any spare minute. If you meet me and think I'm really scatter-brained, please know there's a reason and I'm not always like that... entirely.

buzznwoodysmom
10-11-2012, 11:09 AM
The only major things we've had right around trips were things we knew about before. These trips were actually planned because of the big "event". DH did two tours of duty in Iraq and we did a big Disney trip a few months before each of those deployments. We also did a Disney trip during one of his two week R&R breaks. But nothing unexpected!

TiggeRia
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately we have a track record of bad things happening to our family a week or so before the trip that usually winds up in a cancellation. Several years ago my fiance's mother died a week before a big trip that obviously got canceled. Last year we had rescheduled that previously canceled big trip and my father had a heart attack on Thanksgiving and wound up in ICU on a ventilator for three months resultIng in another cancellation. Even this past trip two weeks ago I wound up with both parents in the hospital just a few days prior to leaving for my trip. Luckily they have great, understanding doctors who took pity on me and took extra special care of them and my fiance stayed home to keep an eye on them.

In November/December we rescheduled that big trip to the Yacht Club, hoping the third time is a charm...although secretly I am a little nervous. We don't have a good track record, but I can't be superstitious! BTW, WDW has been fabulous in refunding ALL monies, just a couple days out from the trip. Even prepaid party tickets. They were simply fabulous!

brownie
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
We're scheduled to fly to Walt Disney World 2-3 days after 9/11 for an anniversary trip without the kids. We had to reschedule for October since there was no way we're going to be able to fly to Florida.

Quadstriker
10-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Does getting married there count?

Chaos
10-12-2012, 08:25 PM
My DH had a heart attack scare about 2 weeks after we got home from our Disney honeymoon. He had gotten sick right after we had gotten back and it lead to him feeling like he couldn't breathe.

He ended up being fine and not having a heart attack but it was super scary. He teases now that I was trying to do him in because we went a little commando on our trip :oops:

About 4 months after our honeymoon, I was going to try and talk DH into another trip. But I didn't realize at the time that I was already pregnant with DD. It's been a long 5 years since we've been at the World because of having a baby, and because of the economy tanking which lead to me losing my job right after DD was born.

But soon we'll be back (365 days!) and hoping not too much will effect our trips (I'm trying to convince DH into Disney every other year).

Katzateer
10-13-2012, 08:27 AM
But soon we'll be back (365 days!) and hoping not too much will effect our trips (I'm trying to convince DH into Disney every other year).

Hope your next trip is wonderful!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-13-2012, 11:57 AM
My uncle passed away unexpectedly about 10 days before one of my trips a few years ago and last year my mom passed away about 6 weeks before my trip. Hopefully everyone and every thing stays well till after this trip.

I always get a little nervous leaving home when there is the possibility of any kind of bad weather. Since the next trip is in December, there is always the chance of snow. Gotta remember to ask my nephew if he can snow blow if it does happen while we are gone so it doesn't look like no one is home.

MissMaryPoppins
10-13-2012, 12:47 PM
My family was going on a much needed vacation in September 2004 and that was memorable in the unexpected department. The Saturday before we were leaving was the third anniversary of 9/11 and the memorial lights representing the twin towers were lit that evening. We were living in central NJ and were able the see the lights so my dad went out on the deck to take pictures, which by the way did not come out, and fell off the deck backwards and hurt his foot. We all ran out when we heard him fall and as we were standing over him I said "what about Disney World?". That was my bad daughter moment. Fortunately, it didn't stop us! Then on Wednesday afternoon I was at work and my dad called to tell me my Mom's cousin's husband died in his sleep during the night. I was very upset because he's someone I always liked from the time I was very little and it was so unexpected. Plus, my Mom's uncle, her cousin's father, died not even a year earlier and he was everyone's favorite uncle. So on Friday morning we get on the plane and arrive safely to Saratoga Springs. We had a great vacation and we even met some people who became very close family friends. The day before we were due to leave, we had lunch at the Brown Derby and were enjoying our last day. Our waitress was chatting and asked us when we were going home and we said tomorrow. She laughed and said a hurricane was on the way and we weren't going anywhere. Now, most people would have rushed back to their resort to find out what was going on, not us! The next day we woke up to discover the airport was closing and we called to rebook our flight. We couldn't get a flight until Wednesday morning, so my mom called the front desk and extended our stay. Luckily, our bosses were very understanding and my boss told me to just enjoy my extended vacation and not worry. So I didn't. By Monday the hurricane was gone and we spent the day at EPCOT. It was a great trip but very memorable and a bit chaotic.

figgie
10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Wow, does this hit home. Years ago, DH lost his job just a couple weeks before our paid off family trip to WDW. Although a hard decission, we decided not to disappoint the kids and we went anyway. The magic of Disney followed us and DH got a call for his new job while we were there...the beginning of a new life in Florida! From bad to good...Now, through the years of good and bad in our lives, Disney has always offered a respite to real life for us.

We also had a trip to WDW planned from Washington DC for a few days after 911. My husband watched in horror from his office window as a plane crashed into the pentagon. We decided to lend our support for the airlines and Disney and went anyway. Spooky at first but took the weight of our shoulders. We travel by plane several times a week and it didn't pay to be scared. Hats off to the TSA, they do an awsome job of keeping us safe. Most people have no idea what they deal with every day, most really don't want to know!

Kenny1113
10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
6 years ago (almost exactly) after a wonderful oct trip to WDW, DH received results of CT scan and diaganosis of stage 4 cancer. Good news he has been in remission for 5 1/2 years! :)

minnie04
10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
now we'll be taking our beautiful baby girl to Disney World for her first birthday in February. :mickey:

Congratulations!!! What a great first Birthday for your Daughter :mickey:

ginny57
10-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I was going to WDW to celebrate a milestone b-day with a friend and, a few days before we were due to go, my elderly grandfather passed away. It was not unexpected and was a blessing in many ways as he had sadly withered away from us for a long time. We went to the funeral home the day after he passed and, when asked about the timing of the services, my Mom said " we would like to have everything completed by Thursday - my daughter is going out of town". I looked at her and she said "Honey, you know he would want us all to go on and be happy". I have to say, she was right. That's exactly what he would have wanted so I flew down Thursday evening after the services and celebrated his life.

darthmacho
10-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Sadly, last August, we got word of my wife's cousin passing away on the night before we left for WDW. I was not certain if she was going to want to go after that, but I'm glad she did. I didn't mention it here before because it was personal, but i thought it was appropriate to this post.

BriarRose0708
10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I leave for iCot15 on Tuesday, and this isn't life-changing, but today I was in a car accident! I am OK and it wasn't my car. I was in the passenger seat on my way to lunch with my boss and the other driver switched lanes without checking her blind spot and plowed right into us on the side I was sitting on. Thankfully either car was going under 30 mph but wow was it scary! I immediately thought "I can't be injured, I have to go to Disney in 4 days!" Thankfully no one was hurt and both cars suffered moderate cosmetic damage. I've never had anything like this happen to me before a trip!

Katzateer
10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I leave for iCot15 on Tuesday, and this isn't life-changing, but today I was in a car accident! I am OK and it wasn't my car. I was in the passenger seat on my way to lunch with my boss and the other driver switched lanes without checking her blind spot and plowed right into us on the side I was sitting on. Thankfully either car was going under 30 mph but wow was it scary! I immediately thought "I can't be injured, I have to go to Disney in 4 days!" Thankfully no one was hurt and both cars suffered moderate cosmetic damage. I've never had anything like this happen to me before a trip!

So scary!! Glad you are ok!!!