PDA

View Full Version : Disney Vow Renewal or Trip to Europe?

Mammabruski
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi folks! I've lately gotten it my head that I would love to renew my wedding vows with DH at WDW in 2016... It would be smallish with less than 20 people (an "Escape" package) and was thinking we'd do it at Sunset Pointe at the Poly. It would be a long weekend - 5 day total type trip. Anyways, it occurred to me that with the money we'd be spending on this that my DH and I could probably take a two week trip to Europe instead (without the kiddos). I know what my DH would want (besides to make me happy), he tolerates my Disney obsession, and he would want to go to Europe as he's never been... I just don't know! I know I have time to figure this out, but I am an uber- planner, and really, let's be honest planning is half the fun!

If it helps, we are going on a almost two week trip to WDW in 2014 and a short trip to DL in 2015...

So opinions if you please...TIA!

Tink1
10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Oh My, Europe! To me Disney is great, but Europe is Classic. It can be sooo romantic too.

I did an ABD to London and Paris and cannot wait to go back and do another one in Europe. Germany is the next I am I hoping for since they do not yet have Russia or Eastern Europe.

Nanc

(I also did the ABD to the Southwest and will be doing Ecuador/Galopogas Islands in November)

Disney Hungarian
10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I vote for Europe.

Fly to Italy, cruise to Croatia and back, fly to Italy and do a castle train tour. Then hit the UK and get a Eurail pass and go where ever you desire.:thumbsup:

AllDisney
10-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Do Europe:thumbsup:. You won't regret it. We have done, Rome, Paris & London. All of them very different cities and each one holds their own special magic.

Pirate Granny
10-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Your momma votes EUROPE...much better value...

Awesome_guy
10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Well...... if you go to Paris.............. Disneyland Paris is just a half-hour RER train from Paris (win-win, non?). I just got back this summer for the first time to Europe (Berlin, Paris, and Disneyland Paris) and think this could be perfect!

If you do Paris, do the math and do the cruise that departs in daylight and ends with the city of lights at its best. Best of both worlds!

If you slip off to Disneyland Paris, you could probably do it in day. Enjoy noting the similarities and similarities to the North American counterparts. You can hear some of the classics in French!

Just sayin'

Disney Hungarian
10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Oops.... I meant to say Ireland for the castle train tours. They have this pricey one that takes you castles that are now bed and breakfasts. A different one ever night.

CanadianWDWFan
10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Europe no question. After visiting WDW every year for the last 9 years we have decided to go to Europe next year. Our take on it is that WDW is relatively easy to get to but Europe is a bit more difficult.

TheVBs
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Another vote for Europe! We went for our honeymoon and absolutely treasure our memories from that trip. We did a big loop around hitting Amsterdam, Bruges (Brugge), Paris, Cannes, Nice, Venice, Munich, Heidleburg and back to Amsterdam. It was so romantic! If we are ever able to go back, we would definitely pick a smaller area to visit though. :)

Lindsey310
10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi folks! I've lately gotten it my head that I would love to renew my wedding vows with DH at WDW in 2016... It would be smallish with less than 20 people (an "Escape" package) and was thinking we'd do it at Sunset Pointe at the Poly. It would be a long weekend - 5 day total type trip. Anyways, it occurred to me that with the money we'd be spending on this that my DH and I could probably take a two week trip to Europe instead (without the kiddos). I know what my DH would want (besides to make me happy), he tolerates my Disney obsession, and he would want to go to Europe as he's never been... I just don't know! I know I have time to figure this out, but I am an uber- planner, and really, let's be honest planning is half the fun!

If it helps, we are going on a almost two week trip to WDW in 2014 and a short trip to DL in 2015...

So opinions if you please...TIA!

Considering you will be doing the 2 week trip, I would prob splurge for the europe trip. But this is a tough one! I always wanted to plan the vow renewal for my parents!! :mickey:

faline
10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
While I have been a big Disney fan for any number of years now, I'd select Europe for sure!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-13-2012, 01:40 PM
How about instead of the 2 week Disney vacation in 2014, you go to Europe then instead? That way you could still do the vow renewal at Disney.

VWL Mom
10-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Have you given any thought to the possibility of doing your vow renewal at Aulani with just your immediate family in tow? It would be a mix Disney for you and something different for DH.

Fangorn
10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Here's another vote for Europe!

For our 25th anniversary (which was quite awhile ago now), DW and I went through this same quandry. Our decision was to go to Europe. But since we had to be in Frankfurt on a specific day, and we had to come from the West Coast to catch a flight to Frankfurt, we were concerned about missing connections. We discovered that there was a direct flight from Orlando to Frankfurt. So we flew to Orlando a few days early, spend those days at WDW, and then went on our 16 day tour of Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

It was awesome.

Steve

figgie
10-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Another Europe vote. We love Amsterdam! Took a train from there to Paris for a week and spent a day, ok, two days at Disneyland Paris. Un Disneylike folks have been known to say, "You were in Paris and you went to Disney?" Well, heck yes and it was super fun! Have your Europe fix and Disney fix at the same time. DH and I renewed our vows years ago at home with all our friends and family around. Our local priest officiated and our kids participated. It was super special and friends took the kids so we could have a little honeymoon. Not Disney but moving because it was where it meant so much to us. (I still dream of renewing on the Disney cruise, so you never know...next year is our 40th Anniversary).:dance:

Dsnygirl
11-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Really enjoying reading all the replies, because my DH and I have been considering the same two things!! Our 20yr anniv is in 2014, and we've considered a vow renewal at Disney, a trip to Europe, or even something more simple - a 4 or 5 night Disney cruise with maybe a vow renewal on Castaway Cay. (if even possible...)

Our Europe idea stems from my desire to see England and Scotland... tie that in with two Irish bands that we love who do 10-day tours of Ireland every fall & perform every night, staying in castles 6 out of the 10 nights... and our Disney idea stems from the fact that we still wish we'd honeymooned at Disney, even though at the time we got married, Disney was not a big part of our lives.

I just recently started thinking about the cruise, b/c in 2 yrs when we have our anniversary, our girls will still "only" be 16 and 13, and I'm unsure about being away from them for a week to 10 days, which would be necessary for Europe. And a cruise would be something completely different for us - unique without being super costly, or a long time away.

So - looking forward to continuing to hear the replies - Europe is sure getting the vote, so maybe I'll start thinking more about it for our 25 yr... ;)

buzznwoodysmom
11-04-2012, 02:23 PM
The answer would be an easy one for me. If I couldn't bring my kids to Europe then I wouldn't go. I just can't imagine going that far, and for that long without my children. I just wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Now when they are older and moved out the house......

I say plan something else, Disney or non Disney, for your 20th, and leave Europe for when your kids are grown and you and your hubby want/need something to look forward to. I hate the idea of having an empty house when my kids are grown. I've told DH already that when that time comes I plan to travel, travel, travel.