PDA

View Full Version : Rides for a 6 Month Old

jpcns50
10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Hello everyone, we are traveling to Disney in November :thumbsup: and will be bringing our 6 month old son with us. I was wondering what rides everyone has taken an infant on with success?? Thanks!

Strmchsr
10-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Pretty much anything without a height restriction is okay. You just have to know what your baby will react to. Some infants do great with the Haunted Mansion, for instance, and others are really bothered by it. So all of that comes down to your child's temperament.

Butters
10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Anything without a height restriction :thumbsup:

AgentC
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I took both of my kids on just about anything without a height restriction at that age. They both really liked It's a Small World and the Carousel. Haunted Mansion and Pirates were okay though the drop might be an issue for some children.

For both of mine the biggest thing I needed to watch was loud noises. Darkness didn't bother them at that age but noise did. Some shows like Mickey's Philharmagic get very loud, so I was always careful to not be right next to a speaker and if possible sit near the end in case I had to leave.

Other rides that worked well for us were Dumbo ( and the similar rides), Peter Pan, Pooh, and the Jungle Cruise.

At DHS, my kids really enjoyed the Playhouse Disney show. At Epcot, I think we spent more time just wandering around with them since most of the rides have restrictions.SSE is okay though. At AK, the Safari is good.

disneydeb
10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
It's a Small World! Sing this to them as a lullaby before the trip! ;) LOL!

sportsguy2315
10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
It's a Small World! Sing this to them as a lullaby before the trip! ;) LOL!

Funny story about that...when I worked there a colleague of mine at one point was a celebrity concierge and was accompanying Celine Dion and her family to breakfast. As she leaves, she starts singing it and a guest thought it was the worst singing he had ever heard. He tells the guest who it was and his mind was quickly changed. :D

Georgesgirl1
10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
We took ODS when he was 6 months old and we took him on everything that didn't have a height restriction. The only things he didn't like were the American Adventure and the Alien scene in The Great Movie Ride. He liked everything else, but he has always been a very easy going kid.

disneynarula
10-05-2012, 10:34 AM
We took our DD on everything that did not have a height restriction.

She loved It's A Small World!

anneo
10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
If you decide to do any of the shows, try to sit as close to the doors as possible in case you have to make a quick exit.:mickey:

nfrustaci
10-05-2012, 11:19 AM
lets see: we took ours on every single ride that didn't have a height restriction.... MK has the most but all the parks have something wonderful they might not be rides but shows or walking trails. my son loved the train in mk and in animal kingdom. remember he is only 6 months and probably won't even realize what a ride is. my son slept through most of the stuff we did with him. but when we took him at just over 1 he watched the parade and enjoyed it. same with lots of the shows. at 2 he remembered the castle !!! now at 4 he has been asking to go back and we are going in feb. have a wonderful time. there is nothing like it in the whole world. and doing disney with your kids is the most wonderful thing u can ever imagine. Hubby and i went by ourselves every year for 10 years and when we started to bring our son as soon as he could get on a plane there was this overwhelming feeling of joy !

Gator
10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Took my daughter to DL at 7 months. We were able to take her on every dark ride that didn't have a height requirement, and it worked out pretty good. What didn't work was shows. She couldn't sit for more than a few minutes.

BrerSchultzy
10-06-2012, 01:40 AM
We have taken both our kids before they were 9 months...and we have a very deep appreciation for the Baby Care Centers!

The only thing I'd say is there is one part of Journey Into Imagination that scared the dickens out of both of them...they both recovered fairly quickly, though (it's the very end, when Figment "blows up" the Institute).

And I agree that Philharmagic is way too loud for infants. We just covered her ears.

Both kids loved all the rides and shows that we took them to see. Just remember to sit on the aisle for any show, just in case.

Have fun!

jenperich
10-06-2012, 11:10 PM
This is so helpful! DH and I will be bringing our son next October when he will be 19 months old. It's great to hear that he can pretty much go on anything w/out a height restriction.

Donald A
10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Use caution with the safari at AK. They will let you take your child on, but I would recommend you do not. It is quite bumpy. My 10 month old fell asleep on my lap. It was not very enjoyable as I held him tight trying to make sure he didn't bump his head or anything.

jpcns50
10-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Awesome info everyone, thank you so much!! My wife and I are both super excited to bring him on this trip.....only 3 weeks until we leave!

ANG
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Only you know your child. Just be cautious of rides/shows that don't have an easy exit.

I *thought* DS1 (6 months at the time) could handle It's a Small World. The boat took off and things were fine. But once we were completely surrounded by the music/lights/puppets he FREAKED out and was screaming the entire boat ride. I kept apologizing to the other riders. I felt so badly for scaring him and ruining the ride for others. To quote my husband "For such a small world, this is a LONG f*ing ride."

Our son loved Nemo and Friends and Dumbo

Oh and I wanted to add, you won't believe how awesome it feels to take your child for the very first time, ESPECIALLY after honeymooning there where you family began years ago. I hope you have a wonderful time!

buzznwoodysmom
10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
We took our 9 month old on anything that didn't have a height restriction. I agree with other's that if you know your child to frighten easily than there are a few that you might want to avoid. like Haunted Mansion. My kids weren't afraid of anything so they loved all of it.

mom2morgan
10-19-2012, 01:30 PM
To quote my husband "For such a small world, this is a LONG f*ing ride."

I'm tempted to agree, but not quite for the same reason :funny:

ANG
10-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm tempted to agree, but not quite for the same reason :funny:

It gives us a good chuckle now. This month's visit to WDW will be DS2 first time and he's 19 months. We refuse to go on IASM after being scarred by our first son.