PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Party?

disneydeb
10-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Our family trip is scheduled this year for November 28- December 5. Our family includes Grandma, Grandpa, son-in- law, dd1, dd2, grandson, age 5 and granddaughter, age 3. Should we spring for tickets for the MVMCP? I love MNNSHP, but I can't remember if I thought the Christmas party was worth it, What would we miss, other than "free" hot chocolate and cookies?

faline
10-04-2012, 10:19 AM
They have performances at the Castle and a lovely Christmas parade with Santa Claus. The fireworks you can see from outside the park. As the tickets continually increase in price, I begin to question the value for the money spent - particularly for a large group such as you gave. Ultimately, you'll have to decide whether this is worth the expense for your family or not.

disneydeb
10-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Do they have the parade with Santa anytime other than the party?

Lindsey310
10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
When we went in December, DH and I went to the Christmas party. We loved it.

Great parade, fireworks and the snow on main street. We ate cookies and hot chocolate in the crystal palace and had a wonderful night. I think it's something you have to experience at least once! Your grandson and granddaughter will have a ball. It's a fun time for everyone and to be able to watch the kids have a great time is priceless :santa::santa3::deer:

faline
10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Do they have the parade with Santa anytime other than the party?

Not until after the parties end.

Santa is available for visits in other locations. Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus typically appear next to the American pavilion in Epcot. I believe Santa Claus also appears near City Hall in the Magic Kingdom and in Downtown Disney.

phlo8810
10-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I would say definitely go for it. We did it twice and loved it. That being said we will probably never pay for it again. But definitely do it once. We are doing MNSSHP for the 1st time this year on Halloween! Can't wait for that.

Gator
10-05-2012, 01:11 PM
As the tickets continually increase in price, I begin to question the value for the money spent - particularly for a large group such as you gave. Ultimately, you'll have to decide whether this is worth the expense for your family or not.

This is the reason we DON"T go to the party. I'd love to do it, but with 3 kids 7 and under, it doen't make sense to pay SO MUCH for something they'll want to leave around 10pm from sheer exhaution. I'll be arriving the same day you do and staying a little longer, but I won't be at the party. Just too much.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I did it back in 2005 and thought it was a lot of fun. Not as much fun as MNSSHP but still fun. I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

DNS
10-07-2012, 12:21 PM
We like the Christmas party so much better than the Halloween. So I would have to say that if you love the Halloween, I think you will think the Christmas is worth it. The whole experience just pulls you into a world of Disney Christmas. With money being much tighter right now, we agreed to skip the party this year, but I have to admit, I will miss it.

missastrocat
10-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Would this be something you all would do if you went with just your significant other?

We saw the preview pics on the blog and my dh seemed interested in it. Ive never been to an after hours party before.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-15-2012, 02:16 PM
By my count you are looking at paying for 5-6 tickets, maybe more. I don't think that the 1 & 2 year olds would have to pay. Even if they don't, you are looking at probably $300 or more, with most likely 3 of the kids crashing well before the parades and such happen.

I try not to be cynical, we are heading back down the day after Thanksgiving and won't be doing it. My DW and I have done it twice, now with 3 kids we are saying no, too expensive for too little value. The fact that they do it almost 50% of the time irks me as well, as it comes off as a money grab while restricting my access to the MK. I'm down there 10 nights, and I bet five of those nights they'll be running MVMCP, doesn't seem quite right, and then it inflates weekend crowds even more because they can't go on the weeknights of the event.

Also, beside the Christmas parade and a few stage shows, the transformation isn't all that great. I don't usually go off on Disney rants, but this is one that has bugged me for some time. It's not that its bad or I don't like it, just that being on a budget, it doesn't even come close to providing value, tangible or intangible. Would I like to do it with the family, yes, will I? No.

10-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Santa is available for visits in other locations. Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus typically appear next to the American pavilion in Epcot.

Last years Santa & Mrs. Claus in Epcot may be the best Santa I've ever seen. We did a family pic with them and it was outstanding. Didn't even know they were there and just happened to look over and see them.