PDA

View Full Version : My reviews (there are 10!)

mom2morgan
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Sort of in order from top to bottom:
Le Cellier - OMG- absolutely loved our meal here. The best steaks ever - too bad I filled up on pretzel bread and cheese soup and had to give half my meal to hubby. Oh well, at least it left me room for the Maple Creme Brulee :-) Nice chat with the server, who is from an area not too far from me. This was my favourite, but placed second from the rest of my family, because theirs is...
'ohana- Love the atmosphere and everything about this place. It is always our favourite, and did not disappoint. Although I'll confess I don't like the main course grilled meats all that much - a bit dry. No matter, I was able to order more of the dumplings and honey-lime chicken wings, which are my faves. And the whole family LOVES the banana bread pudding - our favourite sweet in all the "World". Or maybe in the whole world.
Coral Reef - Terrific food, and love the atmosphere. It is designed in tiers so there isn't a bad table in the restaurant (a good thing for us, because we got seated in the weirdest places in most restaurants - right by swinging kitchen doors and in heavy traffic areas). This is really pricey, though - ordered a crab cake appetizer and it was TINY. Didn't care for my Baileys mousse here. My 14 year old daughter was just in heaven, mainly because of the aquariums. Hubby had a great steak, and I really enjoyed my short ribs.
San Angel Inn - loved the atmosphere, but again - weird seating. We were RIGHT at the front, with only a low wall separating us from the rest of the "pyramid" with shoppers wandering through. What I would NOT have anticipated, is that dozens of these people would come right up to the wall to take pictures of the inside of the restaurant. That meant that I spent the entire meal with flash bulbs going of in my face. Seriously, I thought I was being stalked by the Paparazzi - Kate Middleton, anyone?? As for the food, I don't personally like spicy food so I wouldn't go back, but the rest of the family enjoyed their meals very much.
Sci Fi Diner - absolutely adorable - I think this place is much maligned. The film clips were a hoot, and although I've heard complaints about it just being the same clips repeating, it takes about 45 minutes to cycle through, so I din't find that a problem. I had a steak which was reasonable (I've read a few awful reviews here so was a little worried). The food isn't stellar, but was enjoyable enough. Our server was a little odd - kept prompting us to take pictures of various film clips??? But he also took family pictures of us, so that was a nice perk. Small complaints - too dark to read the menu or see my food, and my hot fudge sundae was very melted.
Boma - I think it is the best buffet we had, but I don't think my husband or 14 year old thought it was anything special. It was really nice because we were staying at the Lodge and didn't have to travel to get to it! I think the carved meats were the juiciest and tastiest we had, and the barbecued pork ribs were awesome!
1900 Park Fare - we discovered on this trip that we're all too old for character meals, but this one WAS the favourite. The Stepsisters and Lady Tremaine were a hoot - very refreshing after all the typical character meals. My elder daughter wanted to smuggle home Prince Charming, who really WAS very charming despite my husband starting the evening by stepping on his ankle (he was kneeling at a table we were walking by) and nearly crippling him. :blush: Food pretty "meh". It filled us up - but nothing really impressed us as good. Variety only average.
Akershus- Used to love this before it was all Princesses all the time. Made for a chaotic meal - seated right by the main trek to the Koldbordt, of course. FAR too expensive for what you get now, if the princesses aren't your main draw.Hubby found portions small - daughter hated her entree (the traditional Kjottkake) so I traded and liked it well enough.
Biergarten - Nice atmosphere, food pretty blah. Not much here I really liked - found the meat quite dry. It was okay. It was a quiet day, so we weren't seated with anyone else.
Tusker House - Oh my. LONG wait to be seated. The loudest, most chaotic meal of all. Seriously, had to shout at each other to be heard and finally gave up attempting any conversation. Setting pretty sterile - and did they REALLY need to do children's parades right beside our table and then loop around and hit the other side?? *eye roll*. However, the food was pretty good -and very diverse for breakfast! Everything from typical breakfast foods to carved meats, and unique ethnic foods. Sadly, I can't bring myself to go back because of the noise and chaos.
Whispering Canyon - was our huge disappointment. First of all, we were seated in an outside "quiet" area far away from all the fun. But the main problem is that Disney had some big menu shift - all my printed off menus for everything were wrong because they'd all been changed "last Wednesday". In most cases, menus stayed similar, but Whispering Canyon has gone to ALL skillets - no other choices. There really wasn't a thing on there I liked and I found the smoked meats dry and tasteless. A trio of deserts was mainly indifferent - with one exception, which was DISGUSTING. It was Jalapeno- Lime cheescake. We asked the waitress if ANYONE likes that and she looked around furtively and said "uh, not so far!".

faline
09-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your reports on the restaurants you visited!

Dopey's Girl
09-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the reviews!

A number of people have been reporting their disappointment in the Whispering Canyon menu changes. Such a bummer when something changes like that.

figgie
09-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Fun reviews, now can I take your picture...smile!:photo:

TinkerbellT421
09-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the reviews! And ummm, jalapeņo lime cheesecake?!?!? :sick: disgusting. We had that same "quiet" area when we were there in January and our waitress was awful, I was so disappointed in not being in the fun :(

January-2007
09-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks so much for the reviews! What a total bummer about the last minute menu change. I also print menus before we go so that would really throw me for a loop!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the reviews...yes Whispering Canyon will not be a repeat for us...my son and I had steaks there last trip which were pretty good, but my mom's skillet was not good at all

Mickey'sGirl
09-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Fabulous ! Thanks for putting this together .

LVT
09-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you for the reviews, especially on Whispering Canyon. I will wait for a menu change.

joonyer
09-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Good Report, Thanks!

Gator
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
:funny:

San Angel Inn - loved the atmosphere, but again - weird seating. We were RIGHT at the front, with only a low wall separating us from the rest of the "pyramid" with shoppers wandering through. What I would NOT have anticipated, is that dozens of these people would come right up to the wall to take pictures of the inside of the restaurant. That meant that I spent the entire meal with flash bulbs going of in my face. Seriously, I thought I was being stalked by the Paparazzi - Kate Middleton, anyone?? As for the food, I don't personally like spicy food so I wouldn't go back, but the rest of the family enjoyed their meals very much.

Whahaha:funny: I've been one of those folks taking the picture and my wife is always dragging my back. So sorry. I'm sure it wasn't me this time, but some crazy idiot like me. Still, you made me laugh.

AmandaChan
10-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the reviews. We always liked Sci Fi as well. Not so much for the food b/c it's pretty 'okay' but for the ACTUAL CALM ATMOSPHERE which seems to be a rare commodity in WDW. It definitely is a nice escape! My 13 month old slept in my arms throughout our entire meal which happened to be our first stop on our big trip with our family. My brother in law got the ribs and my DH and him were NOT impressed. But other than that everyone liked their meals.

yjgirl32
10-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the report.

SBETigg
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I've sat along the river at San Angel Inn so many times, and I've never had anyone taking pictures. Now I feel left out! No paps chasing me.

Thanks for your reviews.

Tigerinvestigator
10-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow you had some really good meals. You mentioned the potstickers at Ohana and made me hungry. I swear I broke the record for eating them back in July. I lost count at like 23 or so. My girls told me that I was going to die from eating too much!:thumbsup:

JanetMegan
10-02-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm an adventurous eater but even I thought the jalapeno cheesecake was just downright odd.