PDA

View Full Version : What is the best ride to start off with???

faberj
09-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Our first trip with our DS 2 1/2 is fast approaching and was curious as to what ride we should start off with.

He loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Peter Pan, so I was thinking the Peter Pan ride.

Any thoughts???

DisneyDINK
09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Maybe go for some Dumbo Fast Passes then head to Peter Pan?

faline
09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
You never know about kids that age and dark rides. I'd probably start off with things like Dumbo, It's A Small World and the Carousel before trying out a dark ride like Peter Pan.

finaldynasty
09-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Dumbo, Aladdin or Winnie the Pooh

BrerGnat
09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree with Linda. Don't start with a dark ride. You never know and if your kid has a freak out moment, he may refuse to go on EVERY ride after that. Work up to the dark rides. Start with the outdoor rides first, and when you are sure he's cool with rides, then move onto Peter Pan.

Small World is a good indoor ride to start with, as it's bright and happy.

Dumbo, Teacups, the WDW Railroad, Carousel would all be good "first ride" choices.

Butters
09-27-2012, 12:39 PM
We took our DD on Jungle Cruise first, a lot o animals for them to see and got her used to being on a ride.

LudwigVonDrake
09-27-2012, 01:34 PM
I'd start with Small World to see how he handles it :mickey:

DisneyDawgette
09-27-2012, 03:19 PM
I'd grab a FastPass for Peter Pan and run to Dumbo first! Based on the wait times app, it looks like Dumbo has been a popular one since the re-opening and the waits can add up, just like Pan! So I'd get that one out of the way and hang on to your Peter Pan FastPass until he gets settled into the swing of riding things! Definitely agree to do Small World even before Pan! :)

darthmacho
09-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Our tradition is Dumbo, and that has been the kids' choice. We took DD1 when she was just two, and it must have made an impression on her, because on our last two trips, the girls were ages 6 & 9, and 8 & 11 respectively, and they still insisted on riding Dumbo first!

disneynarula
09-28-2012, 06:12 AM
We always do It's A Small World first. All our kids love it when they are little. Even our DD was thrilled by it at six months old when we rode it at Disneyland Paris.

It's the quinessential Disney Ride!!! There isn't anything like that outside of the Disney Parks.

ANG
09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree on Peter Pan or Dumbo

AmandaChan
09-29-2012, 07:39 AM
my ds never had an issue with peter pan and i think he would still like it (2.5 now). it's over so fast, if he doesn't like it. plus it isn't very loud at all. whatever you do, DO NOT take him on the great movie ride. that ride is ten million times louder than I remember and ds did, um, not like it. i felt like a bad mom taking him on it. we were a lot more careful on what we took him on from that point. heh. also he did good with pirates but then again eh was a little over a year and now he is more perceptive and something like that might frighten him a little now. he did love people mover even though you go through dark parts. i kept the camera out and turned on the screen to distract him from the darkness (we rode it multiple times). man i wish i could take my boy right now at the age he is. :mickey:

A Big Kid
09-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree with Linda. Don't start with a dark ride. You never know and if your kid has a freak out moment, he may refuse to go on EVERY ride after that. Work up to the dark rides. Start with the outdoor rides first, and when you are sure he's cool with rides, then move onto Peter Pan.

Small World is a good indoor ride to start with, as it's bright and happy.

Dumbo, Teacups, the WDW Railroad, Carousel would all be good "first ride" choices.

That is what happened to my neice. She spent the next three days repeating, "No more tunnels."

Mousemates
09-29-2012, 04:24 PM
dumbo is the easy choice...if for no other reason than to do it before the line starts to lengthen.

Gator
09-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Is he really scared of the dark? If not, he might like starting on Pirates. I know that's the first ride I hit at MK everytime.

Eric87
09-30-2012, 02:20 PM
We took our Daughter last October at close to 2. Her first ride was Pirates and being in the dark didn't bother her at all. I'd say go for Peter Pan and see how he does. I'm sure if he sees familiar characters, being in the dark wont even be an issue. Have a great time!!

faberj
09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Is he really scared of the dark? If not, he might like starting on Pirates. I know that's the first ride I hit at MK everytime.

No he is not scared of the dark. Not even a night light. :)

azcavalier
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
If you're there for the park opening, then anything in Adventureland is out of the question anyway. If you're going midday...I would say Peter Pan, but it will have a line by then. The last thing I would do when getting to the park is to wait in a line for 45 minutes when I could be riding something...anything...else.

Peter Pan is my first choice for opening rides. Midday or later, i'd hit Pirates, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc.

ransam
10-02-2012, 10:23 AM
I think it's completely up to the individual. The first time i took my little brother we started at the Mickey Philoharmoic. Just because it's an introduction to all the characters. He loved it.
but you can't go wrong w/ Peter Pan. Actually, you can't go wrong w/ any ride.

Just have fun!

Joannelet
10-02-2012, 10:39 AM
At 2.5 my son was fearless. I took him on a dark ride and it was over for a year. I would ask him if he liked Peter Pan it was an all out no, it is too dark. He despised it!
He told us just this trip as he is almost 4 (in 2 months) that he is fine with going on Peter Pan.
If you can find somewhere on youtube that has a video of them riding through that is also clear (since it is dark) I would show him that now. Then ask him do you want to go on ths when we are in Disney? If yes, then do it. This time around I did that a lot with my son. I had to do it for Pirates and Lights Motor Action show. Because he previewed it beforehand and new what to expect he was fine with it. But at 2.5 the dark rides brought out all these fears we weren't expecting.....
It ended up becoming darkness, loud noises on rides and shows including fireworks. All because I was talked into taking him in something I knew better not to at 2.5 years old.
Even now at almost 4 years old there were a few I had to talk him through (like Spaceship Earth) and The Great Movie Ride but he is 3 so he can make more sense of stuff that is being said to him. At 2.5 they don't have the ability to really get what you are saying....they sense scary, they are scared and there is no talking your way through that.

Janmac
10-03-2012, 12:22 AM
We do at least two mornings at MK. Our most recent toddler to visit MK was afraid of the dark and sensitive to sensory overload.

For her first visit to MK - at 25 months - and on every subsequent visit - even at the "old" age of 7 - we go to first to Aladdin's Magic Carpet and other Adventureland attractions as well as Frontierland. We do this at rope drop, so she's been first on the magic carpet many times. And sometimes it's her private carpet ride. It's a nice quiet way to begin getting her used to the Disney bustle. After we're done with Frontierland, and maybe Liberty Square, we're having lunch and heading to our resort.

Our second MK morning is Fantasyland and, until she was 7, Dumbo and then the Carrousel and whatever she wanted after. And then Tomorrowland. And then lunch and our resort.

Lately, as she's older, we've added an evening at MK to the mix, for repeats of the favorite attractions.

Jan