PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP with Little Ones

debbymc4
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
We returned from attending the MNSSHP last Friday, and I thought I'd throw out some of our experiences for those of you with little ones who are thinking of going. The trip was for DS's 4th birthday. He is old enough to be excited to go to the party but is still at the age where he really does best going to the park in the morning, napping, and enjoying the hotel in the evening. We spent the morning at the pool, and he then refused to take a nap, having to put on his costume 1 1/2 hours prior to being able to go to MK at 4 pm. He really enjoyed the regular MK experience, in costume, but then fell asleep in the stroller at about 7, also just as it started to rain. He woke up after about 15 minutes and enjoyed Woody's Dance Party a lot, but was very cranky when I talked him in to leaving to queue up for the 8:15 parade...in the rain. Sadly, Disney chose to wait until 8:15 to announce that they were cancelling the parade due to the rain and only having the 10:00 parade instead. There was no way we would make it to 10:00, so we didn't get to see it. So.....I can really see how much fun the party would be, but if you have a little one, the lateness and the limited flexibility is tough. We definately want to try again, but we are going to wait until he's 7 or 8, I think. I just thought this might be useful for folks out there. My kid is pretty easy going and loves Disney, but he just wasn't ready.

SBETigg
09-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry that you didn't have a better experience. It's such an added expense to do the parties that it's a shame when it doesn't work out, and the young ones are often unpredictable in such situations. I hope you got some cute pictures, anyway.

lawgirl
09-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Im so sorry to hear that! I hope our experience is better tomorrow night! Thankfully ours still get in for free because they are so young. Im sorry!

debbymc4
09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
We did have a good time. He loved the characters and the one trick-or-treat spot we hit. We were undecided whether or not to try it, so I thought it might be helpful to others out there who may be on the fence about it. It's very hard to have a truly bad time at Disney!

AXOAlum
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
In 06 we went with DS then 4 and just barely 4 at that - he had a great time, but he is an adventurer at heart. MNSSHP is a family favorite, we just can't seem to get down there now with school. :mickey:

Disney Doll
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
That really stinks about the parade. We always leave after the first parade and fireworks so no 1st parade would be a real bummer for us as well.

debbymc4
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
What bothered me the most about the parade wasn't even that they cancelled it. It was that they let everyone sit in the rain right up until the minute it was supposed to start before announcing it.

faberj
09-26-2012, 02:03 PM
We are taking our DS (2 1/2) to the last MNSSHP party on 11/2. I too was curious to see how other little ones have handled the party.
I am not exspecting much and we will enjoy the party as long as we can before he gets too tired.
I am hoping he makes it until the fisrt parade and the fireworks, but won't be upset if he doesn't.
I will be sure to report back on how our experience goes.

DisneyFr33k
09-26-2012, 02:26 PM
We took our children when they were older -- like 10 and 8 and my 10 year old wanted to leave early because she was tired. In theory she could stay up late, but with all the day long walking and activities, it takes its toll! We did this party twice and it was one too many for us.

Belle_0717
09-26-2012, 09:38 PM
We are taking DDs 2 1/2 to the party on 10/11 as a family party of 9. Hoping to see the first parade and lots of characters before the two girls are out for the night. Then we think we will leave them with their grandparents and mom & dad can have a little fun. Will report back.

Joannelet
09-26-2012, 09:55 PM
We were at the same party that night on sept 21st and we were mad too about them cancelling it when it was supposed to start. We wasted so much time waiting for it. My son was almost 3 last year when we did it the first time and he had a great time then. I had my 8 month old who stayed up until the 10pm parade this time and then he was asleep in the stroller till we got back on the bus to go back. My 3 year old had a blast and stayed awake till we left. It all depends on the child and how they are that day.
The rain this time put such a damper on the night but we all had a great time. A great thing about the rain was we got to meet Capt Jack Sparrow as the line was really short. I wrote all about the party in my trip report.
If anyone is going with young ins just don't do early reservations that day or the morning after. It is too much. Take it slow the day of and the little ones should be fine.

mydisneygirls
09-26-2012, 10:48 PM
We have been here since Saturday and I can't tell you how many young ones we have seen/heard screaming and crying not only during the day but at night as well when the parks are open late. Have also seen it at restaurants later in the night. Yes, this is a place for children but I think adults need to realize that taking an hour out of the day to let a child nap is okay. I truly feel bad for these kids because you can just tell they are so tired and worn out but I think its the parents that push them to stay awake because they don't want them to miss anything. I have even seen parents get mad at their child because they are taking a fit....it's not their fault!!! My daughters are 15 and 13 and they're ready to head back to the hotel around 11, get a good night's sleep and head back out in the morning. We all love Disney but I think we enjoy it more when we and our children are not tired.