PDA

View Full Version : staying offsite? How long is the walk?

joyce
09-22-2012, 05:52 PM
we have always stayed at DLH long walk after a long day, monorail usually had long lines or only running one train so we always walked. We are considering offsite to save some money, but wouldn't want to increase our walking. I've been reading some about other hotels and wondered about the walking difference? Anyone know? Thanks

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I think this is about Disneyland, so moving over to the Disneyland forum, where the west coast experts hang out!

green ranger
09-22-2012, 09:55 PM
We stayed at the Howard Johnson hotel and it was about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the gates. It saved us a HUGE amount of money staying off property.

tinkwest
09-22-2012, 10:02 PM
There are so many hotels to choose from across the street from the Disneyland Resort on S. Harbor Blvd, that are just as close, if not closer than the Disneyland Hotel. Don't expect them to be as fancy, but the location can't be beat.

We like the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn and Mini Suites. You cross the street and you are there. The decor is not my cup of tea visually, but it is comfortable and clean. Their pool leaves something to be desired, so if that's important it may not be the place for you.

If you have a large group, you can get a suite that would easily sleep 9 or 10 at the Desert Inn and Suites. Across the street and past the Cold Stone. An indoor pool (?!) and poor parking were the drawbacks IMO.

Candy Cane Inn is on the same side of Harbor as DLR (behind CarsLand). It is cute and comfortable and has a nice little pool. Perhaps about the same distance as walking through DTD to get to the DLH. It has it's own shuttle if you don't want to walk.

All of these hotels I've mentioned serve complimentary continental breakfasts. Also have microwave & refrigerator, coffeemaker, ironing board & iron, etc.

joyce
09-22-2012, 10:13 PM
the breakfast is certainly a plus! Last year we came in a night early and stayed at the Sheraton had to buy a ticket for the shuttle. Had a huge wait at the end of the night waiting for our bus to come. Our feet were tired from standing. I like the DLH and the pluses that come with it. But we are traveling with our older daughter and her husband and $ may be an issue. But I don't want a longer walk to the park entrance than DLH. Online the hotels list "accross the street". Like the Camelot and the Ramada?
didn't
know the candy land had there own shuttle

bruin1344
09-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I stayed at red lion resort because the price was right. It is about 10 min walk

NewDVCowner
09-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I've stayed at the Tropicana. Right across the street and free parking. The free breakfast isn't great but you can at least pick up a couple of apples to have in the parks. I was surprised at how quiet it was, all things considered. There is a pool but I've never used it so can't give an opinion on it. Rooms are clean. Because it's so close the rates are a bit higher than some of the hotels further down the street. Personally it's something I'm willing to pay, however often I'm going with people on a super budget so we stay a bit further away. I think the last time I was there it was about $140 a night, so still no where close to the Disney property hotels.

tinkwest
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
... Online the hotels list "accross the street". Like the Camelot and the Ramada?...

Yes they are across the street, with a bit of a walk. From the esplanade between the two Parks it is about a quarter mile or five minute walk to hotels such as BW Park Place Inn, Tropicana, Desert Inn (similar to the walk to Grand Californian). I'd bump it up to about a third of a mile to Carousel Inn or Camelot. And estimate almost half a mile to Candy Cane Inn, Ramada Maingate or Howard Johnsons (similar to Disneyland Hotel).

Quadstriker
09-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Go to priceline. Search 3 1/2 star hotels or better in Anaheim South. You will get an excellent hotel with free shuttle service to DL.

joyce
09-24-2012, 10:47 PM
thank you, I wouldn't of known about priceline for this. And like I said earlier, we did have to pay to take the shuttle before.