PDA

View Full Version : GF or Contemporary for Xmas

wetoofun
09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Looking for some opinions.

Which hotel would you recommend for Xmas? The Contemporary or Grand Floridian.

Family of 5, children are 17, 15 & 9.

Also only going for 4 nights.

Thanks all!!!!!

AgentC
09-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Do you plan on going to the Christmas party? If you are, the Contemporary is great since it is easy to walk to the Magic Kingdom.

We stayed there last Christmas. The location was wonderful. Rooms are large and comfortable. Christmas decoration have a modern feel. There is a giant gingerbread tree on the main lobby level with a small holiday treat store. The pool was nice and our lake view from the tower was beautiful.

However, it did not feel very Christmassy to me staying there. If I did not want the convenience of the Contemporary, I would do the Grand Floridian. The GF is one resort I have not stayed at yet, but I have visited it a Christmas time and really like the atmosphere. It would be my choice.

Tigerinvestigator
09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
We've stayed at both and prefer the CR. Convenience, comfort, and less formal.:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
For a Christmas trip I'd pick GF. It's so beautiful for the holidays, and there is something special about walking into that lobby with the Christmas tunes playing from the orchestra. It definitely sets a very festive atmosphere!

For me personally, there is nothing special about the CR for the holidays. Of all the resorts, and we've toured every one of them during the holidays, the CR feels sort of "cold" for the holidays. Nothing warm and cozy about it at all.

figgie
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Another vote for the GF for the holidays. When you come through the main entrance in the evening, they are roasting chestnuts the old fashioned way and give you some so you can munch away as you check in. Then you see the huge Christmas tree, wow. As you look around, you will notice the gingerbread smell in the air and find your eyes traveling to the real gingerbread house, a little store that sells gingerbread houses and cookies. Ah, that holiday feeling I love at Disney. Yes, you can walk to the Contemporary, and if the convenience of this is what you are looking for, great. But you are there for the Holidays and I'd take advantage of the old fashioned holiday feelings I get at GF!:tree:

Disney Doll
09-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Another vote for GF. If you want to experience Christmas at Disney GF is the place.

MizMissy
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I love the Contemporary, but for Christmas, I think the Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge would probably be best.

The only fly in the ointment is the current construction at the Grand Floridian.
If you trip is this year, you should investigate the construction schedule to make sure it doesn't ruin the ambiance.

SBETigg
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm a GF fan, but I might consider the Contemporary this time for the ease of location with monorail changes and the fact that the GF has some construction/renovation going on. The GF is gorgeous at Christmas time, but you can still visit it and stay at the Contemporary.

nfrustaci
09-19-2012, 06:43 PM
GF is my vote..... soooo pretty at xmas time. was there last year, visiting not staying there. I have tons of pics the tree's, gingerbread house. Floral decorations were stunning !!!! and the music they have just sets the tone for the entire hotel. BEAUTIFULLY BREATHTAKING !!!

Kairi_7378
09-19-2012, 07:00 PM
If you haven't stayed at the GF, I would consider waiting until after the construction is over. But be sure to visit that gorgeous lobby!

MinnieMommie
09-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Lots to consider here. The CR is among my favorites to stay for sentimental and other reasons. I was there with my family during the 2011 Christmas season and did find it festive with carolers and a gingerbread cookie and ornament display among other things.

However I love GF during the Holiday season. The lobby is beautiful and I find it filled with wonder. I love the smell of the giant gingerbread house and the enormous Victorian decorated tree.

If you have not stayed at either during the holidays I think I would vote for GF but my DD just said she thinks your children might like CR better.

So consider the construction at the GF, weigh the pros and cons and everyone's opinions and know you will be in for the best of time where ever you decide to stay. :mickey:

beksy
09-20-2012, 10:59 AM
We stayed at the CR for our Christmas trip a few years ago and loved it...we were in the tower with a MK view and it was magical to see the castle with its Christmas lights all night and use it as a night light. We enjoyed stopping at the gingerbread tree and getting treats. This is still Mom's favorite place to get the gingerbread even when we aren't staying there.

I love the GF lobby at Christmas and think its a must-see (don't forget to get your pic by the big tree...there are photopass photographers there that do family pics). If I wasn't able to stay in the tower with a MK view at the CR I would probably choose the GF.

My most important priority is getting the MK view at Christmas...the one time of year I don't mind paying extra for a great view!

BrerGnat
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
While the GF may be more "festive", it's only the main building/lobby area that is that way. Anyone can visit (and LOTS of people do) to see the decorations. I would argue that it might not be the best choice to STAY at during that time because of all the looky-loos who come. The monorail station gets crowded, the lobby is crowded (insanely so) and loud, etc. I wouldn't want to come back to that at the end of the day. Throw in the construction work and it would be a definite no go for our family.

I like the CR a lot, and found it was very nicely decorated last year at Christmastime. I was more impressed with the Gingerbread creation on the Concourse level of the CR than I was with the Gingerbread House at GF, but that's just me.

If you want to be surrounded by Norman Rockefeller-esque Christmas, stay at GF. Otherwise, I think CR is more adult/older teen appropriate.

7165red
09-20-2012, 03:07 PM
I would say the GF but with construction going on, I'm not sure about it. I sure you are paying top dollar for xmas so choose wisely. The Contemporary is still top of the line.