PDA

View Full Version : Help on new SUV/Crossover vehicle

disneymom15
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Husband and I are thinking about purchasing a new SUV or crossover. We're thinking about a 5 passenger (midsize) AWD or FWD. Price is an issue, so $27,000 or less is about where we'd like to be.
What make/model do you own? What do you like/dislike about it?

buzznwoodysmom
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I borrowed my mother in law's Ford Escape for a few weeks this summer and I felt it was a good little car. What I disliked about it was that I almost felt like I was driving a little go cart, but that's probably because I was used to driving a Ford Expedition. The Escape felt really low on the road, and was so much smaller than I'm used to, but other than that I thought it was a great smaller SUV. I only borrowed it for two weeks, so I don't have a ton of experience with it.

I now have a GMC Acadia that so far I love. I've only had it for a bit over a month. It's not as small as your looking for, but it's a great smaller SUV. I know in my area the 2012 base models are going for around $28,000. That's not too far out your price range, and with the 2013 models rolling out you may be able to get a good deal on a 2012.

Good luck.

Disney4us2
09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
I just bought (back in May) a new Toyota Rav4. Before this I had a Nissan Versa. I looked at so many of the smaller SUV's. For me it was really down to the Honda CRV or the Toyota. My brother has the CRV and likes it. To me the dashboard looks to busy. I guess I like it more simple. To me the Rav4 looks a little sportier and I liked the looks of it.

I liked the swing out door on the Toyota Rav4 instead of the lift up style. There is a hidden storage area under the floor since the tire is on the back of the door and not under the floor. I also like the double storage glove boxes. I got the base model with the roof rack. It had all the features I wanted. I would have liked the back up camera, but that model came with leather seats and I like cloth seats better.

I am happy with my choice and love my Rav4. Buying a car is so subjective. I am sure you will find one to fit your needs.

Good luck.

SBETigg
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
I have a Nissan Rogue. It's a good fit for me and I love it. My kids like that it has a comfortable and roomy backseat (more roomy than it looks). But for the price, it doesn't have a lot of pickup or bells and whistles that you can get with other makes and models. Maybe the newer ones do. Mine is a 2011 luxury model (not much luxury involved- heated leather seats, keyless, awd).

Itchy
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I have owned three Chevy Equinox's, 2006, 2009, and a 2011.

I loved all three. When I bought the 2011 I was just blown away with the room and drivability of the vehicle. It made many trips to WDW and even thought the trips were long I was not that tired from the drive.

These come in AWD and FWD. I had the FWD with power driver seat and key less entry with other goodies for a little over 25K.

I would at least give it some consideration, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

DisneyDINK
09-17-2012, 01:00 PM
My friend is kinda in the same situation: looking for a new AWD vehicle. He's looking at the new Subaru Crosstrek. The price is right in your range. The dealers don't have any until October, but you can check them out on their website.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-17-2012, 01:03 PM
GMC Terrain seats 6 and starts at $26K

Chevy Equinox seats 5 and starts at $24K

Ford Escape seats 5 (no more) and the base price of the highest base model is just over $30K, but there are 4 different base models from $23 to $30K.

The Toyota Rav 4 is a TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT seating for 5. If they are tiny adults or small children - it would be fine. They do have a 7 seater option, but you lose all cargo room with that. Highest base price for Rav4 is just over $25K

Honda CR-V seats 5 and starts at $23 and goes up to $30

Not a big fan of the Nissan crossover/suvs. But we do love our little Nissan Sentra that one of our sons drives.

I have an Acadia with the 8 seat option that I LOVE. When you do test drive, take as many people as possible and see how comfortable the fit is for the number that will be sitting in that back seat together.

disneymom15
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone, keep the comments coming.
There's so many options out there. Hoping to take some test drives this week.

BriarRose0708
09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I have owned three Chevy Equinox's, 2006, 2009, and a 2011.

I loved all three. When I bought the 2011 I was just blown away with the room and drivability of the vehicle. It made many trips to WDW and even thought the trips were long I was not that tired from the drive.

These come in AWD and FWD. I had the FWD with power driver seat and key less entry with other goodies for a little over 25K.

I would at least give it some consideration, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hope this helps...:mickey:
AGREE! I have a 2009 AWD Equinox and love her to death. I bought her when the market crashed with nothing down so although the price was low, the interest rate on my loan is high, but hopefully things are better now that you can get financing at a lower cost.

Anyway, I've had her for almost four years and the only thing I've had to repair/replace (that wasn't my fault :blush:) is the engine filter. Everything runs great, I live in snowy upstate NY and the AWD is perfect in the winter. I have the OnStar system which I've never used but got rid of my AAA membership since OnStar is pretty much the same. Definitely worth the money. I can't live without my XM radio either!

Since I bought her I've moved twice and am still amazed at everything I can fit in there, and the backseat is roomy enough for three people to fit across comfortably.

Give it a test drive!

NewDVCowner
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I was looking for a crossover earlier this year. I ended up getting a Hyundai Veracruz, which is a seven passenger SUV. I was very impressed with the Hyundai Santa Fe as well. I just wanted a little more room. The 10 year power train warantee is nothing to sneeze at.

TiggeRia
09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a 2011 Rav4. I got the six cylinder, with just about all the extras....however I am leasing. I want to say the base price was about $31,000. Here are some of my pros and cons:

Pros
-I like the overall look of the car. The Rav4 has come a long way in its appearance. The front seats are comfortable enough and the dials are easy to use.
-This was an extra, but I love, love, love the smart key feature. I never lose my keys as I never have to take them out of my purse! I will definitely look for this in my next vehicle.
-Trunk - door opens to the side (also a con). It allows for taller items to fit in and it is quite roomy. I like the hidden compartment for more space. That is only on the models that have the tire on the door.
Cons
-Mileage for gas is not so great, which is probably due to it being a six cylinder. Around town I only get about 20 miles/gallon and 22 on the highway. I could do the same or better with a larger SUV.
-The back seat is small and uncomfortable, especially for longer car rides. The back seats do recline, but there is not much cushioning. It's hard on the butt and back.
-The trunk door is a problem for those who need to parallel park or only have a single driveway. It swings out wide and I can't open it if someone is parked close behind me.

Those are what pop into my mind right now. Overall, while I do like the car, my lease is up in a year and I will probably not lease another. I think I am looking to go back up in size due to my travelling and needing space. On a side note, I used to own a Mercury Mountaineer, which I loved but I had some big problems with Ford customer service and vowed never to give them my money again.

PopPhan
09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I am on my second Nissan Xterra - I had a 2000 model and moved up to the 2010 model (Off-Road)...Love them both! The stadium seating in the back makes it nice for those people sitting back there -- it raises them up about 4 inches and allows better forward viewing for them.

My sister and brother-in-law each have Hyundais - a Santa Fe and a Tucson - and they love theirs as well. Their Hyundais get better gas mileage than the Xterra and ride great!

I believe that all 3 would be in your price range, depending upon options wanted.

Hope you find the one that suits you!!

dobby2010
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I bought a new Honda crv last June (so it is a 2011). I have really enjoyed it. It drives nicely, is quiet and seems roomy. Love the trunk space and leg room in te back seat. Tons of storage. I really know nothing about cars so can't really speak to technical specifics but it works for me and was very reasonably priced.

BrerGnat
09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
We have owned 2 Honda CR-Vs. Our current car is a 2007 CR-V.

I love it. Have always loved the CR-V and find it to be an amazing small SUV.

DizneyRox
09-17-2012, 04:20 PM
The Subaru Outback is a nice little car. It's pretty roomy, drives great, AWD, and the 4 cyl CVT trannsmission will get you in the 30's for mileage.

I won't buy a domestic, and that will limit your choices significantly. If you're OK with them, then you've got choices.

buzznwoodysmom
09-17-2012, 04:49 PM
When you do test drive, take as many people as possible and see how comfortable the fit is for the number that will be sitting in that back seat together.

I agree with this!

When DH and I were shopping around we didn't have the kids with us and I kept thinking the Acadia wouldn't be roomy enough for us since we were used to the Expeidition. However, I really wanted to downsize a bit. Once we got the kids in the Acadia I realized just how much room we still had in this smaller SUV. It's amazing how much room can be had in these smaller vehicles. They are definitely set up better than the older models.

ElenitaB
09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
My CR-V is just 3 weeks old and I love it! I have never enjoyed driving a car as much as I do this car. After doing multiple comparisons, I was down to the RAV-4 and the CR-V. I was not in love with the tire housed outside the car and the RAV-4 was also too big to be a "regular" car on the AutoTrain (which is why many other vehicles didn't make the cut).

Kenny1113
09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Coincidentally both my mom and dad (no longer together) have CRV (different years). They are very happy with them.

I have a Tahoe and absolutely love it, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

barnaby
09-17-2012, 09:51 PM
We have a RAV4 we bought last year and love it. We had a larger Nissan Pathfinder before getting the RAV4.
The RAV4 is a smaller SUV but we have found it roomy enough both front and back (2 adults, 2 kids). And the storage in the rear is a decent size as well.
We have the 4 cyl. It is a smooth ride and gets about 23 MPG city and 25 MPG highway. Just got back from our August trip to WDW where we drove it down and back with no issues. Cruise control was a foot saver!!
I've had Toyotas in the past, and they are great running cars.

My mom and dad have a Nissan Rogue. They love it. I've driven it a few times and would say it on par with our RAV4 in size. Biggest difference is the body shape, Rogue is more crossover, RAV4 is small SUV.

Aggie97
09-18-2012, 12:11 AM
My husband is on his second CR-V, a 2011. He loved the first one so much that he knew he wanted the same thing when it came time to replace it.

Several family members (my parents, in-laws, brother, and sister-in-law) have CR-Vs as well. We all have been very happy with them. :)

DonLefNY
09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm currently driving a Hyundai Tuscon Limited AWD. Been a year and a half now and I still enjoy it.

Tigerinvestigator
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
We just bought a 2013 Kia Sorento back in July and it is without a doubt the best vehicle we have ever owned. We got the V6 but it is available in 4-cyl. We also got the third row seats which allows us to seat 7 people. I was searching just like you and happened to google "best vehicles for families for 2013" and read all about the Sorento. Had never even considered owning a KIA before that. The 2013 is much improved over the prior models. It is incredibly safe with 360' airbags, we opted for the sunroof and moonroof. All kinds of options available and I believe the beginning price was about 23K or so. Very nice.:thumbsup: