PDA

View Full Version : Garage door help

Disney4us2
09-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Need help ASAP....

I think the springs on our Genie garage door are broker. My car is in the garage. I need to get it out.

How do you open the door from the inside. I tried pulling the rope to release it. I know there is something else I am supposed to do, but don't remember what it is....HELP!!!

VWL Mom
09-16-2012, 11:32 AM
When we lose power I have to pull the rope and then manually lift the door. They're very heavy though and I need my son's help. Then we need to put a broom or something under the door to hold it up.

Good luck Marci.

SBETigg
09-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I was just answering that I can lift mine and it stays up, but with broken springs all bets are off. I wouldn't take chances. Call a tech and hopefully they can come out quickly. Good luck.

kakn7294
09-16-2012, 12:10 PM
If the springs are broken, stay far out of the way. Those things can be deadly if they go flying. Do not try to open the door and get someone who know what they are doing to come fix it.

Itchy
09-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I had the spring break on one of my garage doors and it was very difficult to open as the spring takes most of the weight off of the door.

Unless you have help lifting the door after releasing the emergency release for the opener I would not try it. The door could fall on someone and cause serious or fatal injuries.

As the previous poster stated I would see if there is someone with emergency service to come to your aid.

It is better to err on the side of caution when it comes to those things.

Good luck...

Disney4us2
09-16-2012, 12:26 PM
On a whim I tried opening the door with the remote and it openend... WOW. I got my car out quickly just in case.

I don't know if it is the springs now or not. I called and have a garage door guy coming within a couple of hours to see what is going on. Something is not right with this door. At least my car is out and I am mobile.:thumbsup:

Ian
09-16-2012, 12:37 PM
We had a spring go on ours like two months ago and I still haven't fixed it lol.

One thing I can tell you is to be very careful opening it ... ours opened with only one spring for a little while, but then with all the load on the one side it pulled out of alignment and now it won't. I don't recommend opening it with only one spring.

SBETigg
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
On a whim I tried opening the door with the remote and it openend... WOW. I got my car out quickly just in case.

I don't know if it is the springs now or not. I called and have a garage door guy coming within a couple of hours to see what is going on. Something is not right with this door. At least my car is out and I am mobile.:thumbsup:

Good news, Marci. I hope it's an easy fix. We had a broken spring situation earlier this year and it was about $150 repair (or less, I don't remember the exact but over $100 and less than $150) so not too bad.

Disney4us2
09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
ARRRGGGGHHH.... It's the motor. The garage door guy just left to get a new motor. At least it will work.

This has been an expensive summer. Starting with a new washing machine... new A/C and furnace and now this, I don't even want to think about what will come next, Guess that what comes with an older house. We are the original owners as well so we know the house well.

He also showed me how to open the door. Just have to push the lever in and the door will open.

kakn7294
09-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Bummer! I guess it's good you can get it fixed though.