PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Welcome Home Wednesday and Deevy See retired?

TinkerbellT421
09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere and for me, I love this idea as DBF and I try to go to one every trip. Last trip I volunteered him for the game show, he was not amused....lol though DBF and I ended up stealing the show and for the next two days had people randomly walking up to us going "hey you guys were the ones at the DVC thing!" lol

How many of you went to the now, "old" version of Welcome Home Wednesday? Did you ever participate in the show? Did you ever win any of the raffles? Did you ever want to go but just didn't and now might make more of an effort with it being more involved with more of the audience? Thoughts?

Do the long lost relatives suggest the apparent retirement of "first lady" Deevy See?

From Member Services

Come together - Members reuniting for new "Welcome Home Wednesdays" show

Disney Vacation Club is pleased to report that Members are reuniting weekly for a new family-reunion-themed "Welcome Home Wednesdays" show on Disney's BoardWalk (presented most Wednesdays inside the Atlantic Dance Hall from 2-3 p.m.).

The show's new format reflects what event planners have long understood about what makes these gatherings so popular.

"Transforming our Member Update presentations into the more interactive 'Welcome Home Wednesdays' game show some years ago proved to be enormously successful," said Carol Chukwu, one of the Disney Vacation Club Cast Members behind the event. "Members loved the opportunity to not just be part of the audience, but part of the show. So our goal with the event's latest evolution is to engage as many Members as possible."

Hosted by two "long-lost relatives" (the quick-witted cousin you never knew you had and the bubbly niece you always wish you had) and staged in a backyard-picnic setting, the re-imagined show invites Member families to participate in a variety of home-spun games inspired by Disney Vacation Club Resorts and experiences. From "Surfer Says" to "Dress Like a Scotsman," the games are designed to be as family funny as they are family friendly.

"Each game calls for new contestants, allowing more Members than ever to be part of the show," Carol explained. "And, since we've created more games than we could possibly play during a single show, we're able to rotate games and keep the experience fresh week in and week out. When you add the always unpredictable mix of outcomes and participating personalities, you really never know what you may see."

Along the way, the players and audience gain valuable Membership insights, enjoy refreshments and – perhaps most importantly – mingle with their Disney neighbors.

"Member events are all about the camaraderie," Carol said. "No matter the theme or setting, the highlight of every Member event is that sense of community. It truly is like a family coming together, which made the family reunion concept a natural fit. We've been thrilled with the response so far, and we can't wait for more families to join us in the months and years ahead."

As the show schedule is subject to change, be sure to visit the special events page (link to WHW page) to see if and when the event is taking place during your next Walt Disney World vacation.

Maleficent's Dad
09-16-2012, 09:53 AM
We go to WHW at least once during our trips. It's a nice change of pace to the chaotic parks. And since we're usually at the BW/BC, it's very convenient.

I was a contestant on the old show (the "Jeopardy" format). After a 4-way tie, each contestant was given a goodie bag with some DVC stuff (nothing over the top, but a nice gesture). On another trip, we had won a $50 gift certificate to Wolfgang Pucks. The hats went from blue, to red, to white over the years...

About 3 weeks ago, we saw the new show format. DeeVeeCee was gone, and she was replaced by two of our "cousins" (or something of the sort). The new show tries to have more people involved with smaller games - including one for kids (sort of like a musical chairs without chairs). All contestants get DVC pins. Winners get a "bonus" pin. DW and I won the game that pairs couples - they ask random questions to see how much you know about each other.

I don't love the new format. It's fine, but I actually preferred Jeopardy - even if fewer members were involved. I understand they're trying to involve more members, but it was kind of boring - at least to my family. My kids didn't like the new format at all (and my daughter won the kids' game).

They still have the usual sale's pitch for Aulani, etc...

The new logo hats were black - but now they've been giving out navy blue hats recently, with "Welcome Home Wednesdays" embroidered on the side.

I hope the actress who was DeeVee is still employed, but truth-be-told, I don't miss that character all that much.

WHW, at least for us, isn't as much of a priority as it used to be. I do think they need some fine-tuning with the new show. Just my opinion, of course.

DizneyFreak2002
09-16-2012, 11:30 AM
I have never gone to a "Welcome Home" gathering... They sound pretty interesting...

As for DeeVee See, I didn't like the character at all.. In fact, and I know I may be reaching here, but the character, to me, showed what Jim Lewis thought of DVC members... I felt it was really some sort of backhanded slap in the face... If they retired the character, then I say that is progress... And if this is Claire Bliby's decision, then she scores even more points with me!!!!

VWL Mom
09-16-2012, 11:34 AM
I have never gone to a "Welcome Home" gathering... They sound pretty interesting...

As for DeeVee See, I didn't like the character at all.. In fact, and I know I may be reaching here, but the character, to me, showed what Jim Lewis thought of DVC members... I felt it was really some sort of backhanded slap in the face... If they retired the character, then I say that is progress... And if this is Claire Bliby's decision, then she scores even more points with me!!!!

:ditto:

TinkerbellT421
09-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Having DBF involved in one show, after much begging and pleading for him to be picked, it was entertaining and fun. But I used to be disappointed because for the hundreds of people that showed up, really only four could actually be involved which to me, was just boring. For them to have added more entertainment to bring more people in, that's a plus with me. :thumbsup:

I don't know much about Claire as you stated, but it sounds like you are enthusiastic about it so I cannot wait to experience it in December. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
09-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Having DBF involved in one show, after much begging and pleading for him to be picked, it was entertaining and fun. But I used to be disappointed because for the hundreds of people that showed up, really only four could actually be involved which to me, was just boring. For them to have added more entertainment to bring more people in, that's a plus with me. :thumbsup:

I don't know much about Claire as you stated, but it sounds like you are enthusiastic about it so I cannot wait to experience it in December. :mickey:

So far, Claire appears to get it when it comes time for DVC members... Again, this is only how I felt, but I always felt like we were treated as second class citizens when we should have been treated much, much better... I still think they need to give us more, offer us more.. After all, we are a constant revenue stream for WDW.. Our backsides need to be kissed, not pushed aside...

So far, since taking over for Jim Lewis (gone and long forgotten), Claire seems to understand DVC members should be treated as if we do matter... The small things make much of a difference... The PAP offer from oct 1 to Dec 31 is a great offer and one Jim Lewis would NEVER have authorized...

Lewis was your typical TDO manager, looking at bottom line heck with the guest... Well, that bit him and now he is gone... Hopefully Claire doesn't go down that road, but so far, so good...

laprana
09-17-2012, 11:19 AM

I wouldn't be sorry to see DeeVee See go, either. I never got that character...she was pretty obnoxious. I do know that the CM who plays DeeVee See does play other roles. We were at the MNSSHP last October and saw her playing the ghost outside of HM who interacts with guests in the queue area during the party. As soon as I heard her voice I recognized her, and I said (probably too loudly), "Hey, it's DeeVee See!" She gave me a quick glance when she heard me, kind of like, "How did you know it was me??" It was pretty funny!

MinnieMommie
09-18-2012, 06:29 AM
We try to check out WHW when we visit. I'll be interested to see what the new format is like. I think the change is overdo. Although the Deevy See character is a bit loud and overbearing (I'm sure unlike any of my relatives...) she was ok. I've talked with her and she was actually very sweet (really). She is talented so I hope she continues to be a CM. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
So, we checked out the new welcome home Wednesday. It was neat. I like the premise, but the two new hosts were just not good. The guy was cheesy funny at times but the girl just seemed bored and miserable. I volunteered and got to try and eat a cookie off my forehead, that was amusing! I like that a lot more people get to participate than with the old format. But the downsize was they didn't do as many drawings as they did before and didn't give away any prize packs, they only have away pins. So it's a toss up. I do like the old format.

Update on DeeVeeCee, she is now one of the side show acts at Hollywood studios. She's awesome, I like her. We saw her and yelled DeeVeeCee! And she ran up to us, she remembered us from last year! Lol

VWL Mom
12-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks for reporting back :thumbsup:

I think DHS is the perfect place for Deevy See! I love watching the street shows and she's a great fit. Nice that she remembered you, too.