PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP 9/14/12 *WITH PICS* The good, the better, and the best!

Christine
09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
I've gotten my thoughts and notes together from last night's MNSSHP, and DH has culled through the pictures and videos he shot, so here we go!

I'd like to first say a big thank you to Disney and INTERCOT for allowing me to attend Media Night on INTERCOT's behalf. We had a BLAST trying to find the new & familiar, both big and small, and bring it all back to INTERCOT's members. We put some serious mileage on our shoes last night covering as much as we possibly could LIVE through Twitter and Facebook...isn't technology amazing? Anyway, it was a labor of love and we hope you enjoyed coming along.

DH and I tried to think of how many times we have attended MNSSHP over the years. We are POSITIVE of 8, but I think it could be 10.

We do know for sure that we have never had a bad time at a MNSSHP. This year proved no different. The ONLY complaint we have had over the years is the one year they gave out generic dollar store candy- that was AWFUL! But it hasn't happened again since, and all is well. M&Ms, Nestle Crunch, Heath Bars, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Now and Laters, Milk Duds, Smarties...it's ALL good! TOO good, as I'm having to hide it from myself. :blush:

Anyway, I digress (candy is a WEAK spot for me :D ).
Candy: See here http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=194563

The CMs: Fun as ever. They really get into the party mood and we enjoy that so much!

The Merchandise: The shirts this year are pretty cute! Nice to see Mickey and the gang looking a little friendlier instead of the evil monster Mickey werewolf of last year and the (as I've previously called it) Fredrick's of Hollywood Minnie. Lots of pins & event vinylmation...no photo frames as in previous years, but then again, who really keeps a dated cartoon Halloween frame out year round?

Boo to You Parade:: A few subtle changes this year. For example, there was a pirate flag line leading the POTC float which was ... interesting? Not bad, but an odd fit...I think of flag routine mostly in marching bands, but it neither added nor took away from my experience. Barbosa was riding on the float vs. the past few years that he walked around greeting the crowds. That made me a little sad. I really like seeing Barbosa and he has kissed my hand the last two years, so I missed that little tradition of ours. ;)
The ballroom dancers and grave diggers still steal the show. As well as the headless horseman of course! It seemed to me he rode through much slower this year which is nice for photos. But I'm not sure if he really was or if it's just because we now know WHEN he is coming & which direction he's coming so we're uber prepared?

Must mention the dancing cowboys. Kinda had some Magic Mike moves going on there! And it was not going unnoticed by the ladies in the audience! There was screaming and hooting and hollering moreso for them than even Capt Jack! And the cowboys were lapping it up too, tipping hats, greeting women in the crowds with a wink and a "ma'am". Cute, harmless fun. (I was the soul of discretion! Not so much as a "yeehaw" from me) :angel:

Happy Hallowishes:
Gorgeous. Fun. Goose-bump inducing. Just hands down the best Disney nighttime show ever IMHO. We know that show backwards and forwards and they never skip a beat. Perfection. Someday we hope to see MM&Y effects brought into it...that would just make it out of this world!

Villians Mix and Mingle: When this show first changed and became centrally focused on Dr. Facilier, we didn't quite know what to think. Now that we've seen it several times, we have decided we really like it. The CM who portrays him is fantastic and the music is great. Now, my DH misses the red and black devil costumes that the backup girls used to wear, but that is a conversation best left unstarted. :)
When the other villians take the stage, they just do the one short number and it's over. But I feel like it is enough. Still a cute little show. The meet and greet lines afterwards are quite thick and chaotic, so our recomended strategy is to watch the first show, see where the characters go afterwards for their meet, pick whom you REALLY must see, and be in that area for one of the later shows so you have the best chance.

Characters:

We saw Lotso Huggin Bear by Crystal Palace (it's like Pooh gone BAD! )
Tarzan and friends as well as Capt Jack in Adventureland, Daisy and Donald at the Carousel in Fantasyland (missed seeing Cinderella's coach by Small World as that area is under construction) and Pooh and Friends in their halloween attire by the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Gaston, Lady Tremain and the Stepsisters, Jafar at the hub...we didn't get to see Mickey (the time FLIES at these things! Camping out for parade, fireworks, and Villain show eats a good chunk of time!). Phineas and Ferb are by City Hall. Lots of fun to be had. Lots of lines to stand in too...WHEW! We couldn't have done that...we took shots from the sidelines.

Ride Lines: We didn't ride anything. We did photograph outside the Haunted Mansion in all it's Halloween splendor, but we didn't ride. 1) We had a LOT of gear on us, 2) we had so much we wanted to see and report on, and 3) CANDY! But we noted VERY reasonable lines on everything; 20-30 min on the "hot items" like Peter Pan and Space.

Dance Parties: I'm not allowed to go bc my DD 12 would kill me! She does NOT appreciate that I've got the moves like Jagger. :blush: When I did the Cupid Shuffle on our Disney Cruise sailaway party, she made me promise not to dance in public again.

Crowds: Very manageable, but more than I expected so early in the season. SO many cute and clever costumes. My faves: Duffy Bear dude and the Fast Pass People.
Saw two girls with rain panchos and painted hair...heard them tell a CM they were "world of color" hmmmm.... Saw a guy with full mask and "scarier" costume. I was stunned he was allowed...I thought full mask was against the rules? He had three heads and a boom box SOMEWHERE on him bc he played Thriller and other music wherever he went. We rode the tram from the TTC to the parking lot with him. He was something else, but he had a good beat! Of course, I was not allowed to dance. *sigh*

General Observations:: I find it strange that with BAGS of candy in their possesion, people are still in the Bakery and Confectionery buying up more bags of sugary treats? I think I lost 4 teeth just gnoshing around the park last night, and I'm pretty sure I didn't go to sleep, but rather slipped into some sort of diabetic coma after we got home. To go buy a candied apple or one of their special holiday cupcakes/cookies would have flat-lined me, right there on the spot!

The background music was the ONLY remotely negative word I have to say about the whole evening. I was so happy to walk onto Main Street USA and see the pumpkins flickering and hear the Haunted Mansion and Boo to You parade background music. Then BAM! Disney pop versions of Stevie Wonder's Superstitious, Thriller, etc. I could have done VERY nicely without any of that. It sounded like, I don't know: Selena Gomez? Jonas Brothers? I'm thinking probably Jonas Brothers...If there's ever any bad music that gets my attention it's most likely the Jonas Brothers. ;)

So there you have it! Pics will be up here in within the hour.

The long and short of it all: If you are planning on attending MNSSHP this year, you're in for a super time. ENJOY! If you are attending MNSSHP AND are a Jonas Brothers fan, man, you're gonna be in HEAVEN!!! :cloud9:

January-2007
09-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you so much for the report! Looking forward to our first Halloween party next year, glad to hear such rave reviews!

Melanie
09-15-2012, 07:51 PM
OMG, you are too funny Christine! Love your review, and let me just say how much we appreciate your "sacrific" of bringing all the night's activities and highlights to us. Great job and looking forward to the pics!

M&Ms, Nestle Crunch, Heath Bars, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Now and Laters, Milk Duds, Smarties...it's ALL good!

What about those Dots? Man, I love Dots! :blush:

The ballroom dancers and grave diggers still steal the show.

One of the coolest effects ever, and yet, so simple to create. Can't wait to see it very, very soon!!!

As well as the headless horseman of course! It seemed to me he rode through much slower this year which is nice for photos. But I'm not sure if he really was or if it's just because we now know WHEN he is coming & which direction he's coming so we're uber prepared?

I saw mention of the same thing (that he was riding slower this year) and someone pointed out that it took away some of the creepiness. I may have to agree.

Must mention the dancing cowboys. Kinda had some Magic Mike moves going on there! And it was not going unnoticed by the ladies in the audience! There was screaming and hooting and hollering moreso for them than even Capt Jack! And the cowboys were lapping it up too, tipping hats, greeting women in the crowds with a wink and a "ma'am". Cute, harmless fun. (I was the sole of discretion! Not so much as a "yeehaw" from me) :angel:

I find that hard to believe. LOL! I bet that's cute, and hey, at least someone at Disney is paying attention to current 'trends'. ;)

Happy Hallowishes:
Gorgeous. Fun. Goose-bump inducing. Just hands down the best Disney nighttime show ever IMHO. We know that show backwards and forwards and they never skip a beat. Perfection. Someday we hope to see MM&Y effects brought into it...that would just make it out of this world!

Agreed! Love this show, and yes, MM&Y effects would be awesome!

When the other villians take the stage they just do the one short number and it's over. But I feel like it is enough. Still a cute little show. The meet and greet lines afterwards are quite thick and chaotic, so our recomended strategy is to watch the first show, see where the characters go afterwards for their meet, pick whom you REALLY must see, and be in that area for one of the later shows so you have the best chance.

Yes, I'd argue that the Villian meet 'n greets are the most popular part of MNSSHP. These characters are just that :cool:.

My faves: Duffy Bear dude and the Fast Pass People.

Honestly, I thought the Duffy dude was a little creepy. And I love Duffy. lol! FP people were cute though.

If you are attending MNSSHP AND are a Jonas Brothers fan, man, you're gonna be in HEAVEN!!! :cloud9:

I guess I'll be in HEAVEN!!! LOL! I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I kinda like that show Married to Jonas. That said, I couldn't tell you ONE song the Jonas Brothers sing. Not one. :funny:

I'll be there in just over a month and will be attending two parties in a week. Can't wait! I guess you can tell that my response to your post means MNSSHP is by far my favorite after-hours event at WDW. :mpumpkin:

Thanks again for reporting and bringing it LIVE into our homes.

retiredfigment
09-15-2012, 08:50 PM
OOOH you have made me so excited!!! 29 days to we go! Thanks so much for the report!

Dsnygirl
09-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Christine, thank you so much... loved seeing all the pics popping up on FB while I was at work last night!! (shhh, don't tell anyone I was peeking at my phone... ;))

I'm sorry, too, that Barbosa was up on the float... I much prefer him mingling down w/ the crowd, and I'll fight ya for the hand kissing... I thought I was the only one he did that to!! :D Hoping he'll be down and about in October...

Can't believe I'm admitting we've never really trick-or-treated during the parties... the girls did a little, but they were so much more into the character meet & greets and the shows we barely got ANY of the good stuff!! Might have to change that... :tasty:

I guess you can tell that my response to your post means MNSSHP is by far my favorite after-hours event at WDW. :mpumpkin:

Ditto, ditto, ditto... SO happy I have it to look forward to this year!! :mpumpkin:

Christine
09-15-2012, 09:39 PM
As promised, the night in pictures! Videos will be posted shortly...takes a WHILE for those to upload!

Sweets and Treats! (look under that banana, Mel...there's your DOTS!)

Christine
09-15-2012, 09:43 PM
The Merchandise:

Christine
09-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Boo to You Parade:

Christine
09-15-2012, 09:59 PM
more parade...

Christine
09-15-2012, 10:15 PM
And you guessed it, more:

Christine
09-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Hallowishes:

Christine
09-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Villains Mix and Mingle:

Christine
09-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Characters:

Christine
09-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Dance Parties & Original Costumes:

Christine
09-15-2012, 10:34 PM
And finally... (sorry, no cowboy pics...but they're on the video! ) ;)

TinkerbellT421
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the review Christine and wonderful pictures! I now have the craving for chocolate....mmmm candy.....can't wait to experience Halloween in Disney someday :cloud9:

Jared
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Awesome photo, Christine. Can't wait to see you soon!

arm00leg
09-15-2012, 11:04 PM
OMG!OMG! So excited, it will be our first time going to the Halloween Party! Thank you so much for the pics:mpumpkin:

Dsnygirl
09-15-2012, 11:10 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Wow, you and John rocked this... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Moving this down here, didn't realize it was going to get lost in the myriad of more pics!! :D

Looking forward to the cowboys video... ;)

Dopey's Girl
09-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Can't.Stinking.Wait!!

I'm doing two parties this year, the 26th
For Icot and the 31st. I love MNSSHP!

The candy selection looks so much better than
precious years and if I'm not mistaken, I think I see Dots! (I'm obsessed with them too Mel.)

Quadstriker
09-16-2012, 02:06 AM
lol @ the forsaken picture (last one under original costumes). WoW nerds unite. Looks like someone recycled their costume from Blizzcon!

TheVBs
09-16-2012, 08:04 AM
OMG!! First of all, thank you for the hysterical review! I loved it. :mickey: And the pictures! They are fabulous. We went for the first time last fall and you brought back so many great memories. Wish we were there now! :mickey:

hoop de do
09-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Thank You so much for your effort in giving us these great photos. I'm sure it was demanding at times and we all appreciate it very much.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

disneylovinmom
09-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Where exactly do we need to be to see the headless horseman? We're going on Oct 11 and getting super excited!

09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Where exactly do we need to be to see the headless horseman? We're going on Oct 11 and getting super excited!

Anywhere on the parade route (party parades start at Splash/Pecos and end at the Firehouse). Starts a couple of minutes (8:12 for 1st parade and 10:27 for 2nd) before the beginning of the parade and stops for a bit on Liberty Bridge.

disneylovinmom
09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Great! I wasn't sure if he went the whole parade route or just down Main Street. I don't want to miss it!

Lindsey310
09-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Loved all the pics!!!!! Thanks Christine!!!

I love Halloween at Disney but have never done the Halloween party. On my to do list :mpumpkin:

Dsnygirl
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
I love Halloween at Disney but have never done the Halloween party. On my to do list :mpumpkin:

:bat: Oh, so DEFINITELY should be... I think everyone should go to at least one. It is SO fun, the best part of October down there!! :mpumpkin:

Disneymom4ever
09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
In all of our trips to Disney World, we've never been during the Halloween festivities. Just never worked out with my boys school schedules. So thank you so much for the report and pics, it looks like a wonderful time to go! :mickey:

ANG
09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I agree, thanks for posting!

joanna71985
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
I went to the party on Friday, and had a blast! It was soooo much fun. I may even attempt to go to another party

Melanie
09-16-2012, 10:24 PM
So, John just got the video put up on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4PjD4uPCv0&feature=plcp) that Christine shot on Friday night, and I just have to comment on the Cowboy sequence. I get that it was a segue into the Country Bears unit, I don't like it. It seems so out of place after the Haunted Mansion unit. :shrug:

disneydeb
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
My favorit annual celebratrion in Disney!

Thanks for sharing and whetting my appetite for next year in October!

Stu29573
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
So, John just got the video put up on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4PjD4uPCv0&feature=plcp) that Christine shot on Friday night, and I just have to comment on the Cowboy sequence. I get that it was a segue into the Country Bears unit, I don't like it. It seems so out of place after the Haunted Mansion unit. :shrug:

I wouldn't say that I don't like it so much as it was a head scratcher...Now if they were zombie cowboys, maybe!:thumbsup:

laprana
09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Fantastic review and pics! :thumbsup: I love all of your reviews, Christine, and always look forward to reading them! This one really made me want to go to the MNSSHP. I went for the first time last year and LOVED it, even more than the MVMCP. We're going in late November this year, so will do the MVMCP, so thanks for posting this and letting me attend the Halloween party vicariously! :D

MNNHFLTX
09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
SO many cute and clever costumes. My faves: Duffy Bear dude....

So that was who that guy was supposed to be?? I looked at that picture and thought--"Okay, dude in an over-sized and somewhat rumpled sailor suit. Hmmm--nope, don't get." :scratch: