PDA

View Full Version : Just changed from H&V to SciFi...

natstroop
09-13-2012, 07:19 PM
At 77 days to go...I decided to change one of my ADRs. I had H&V for 5:00, figuring that would give us plenty of time to eat and get to Fantasmic by 6:30. We ate there back in '10 and decided it wasn't the best, but it wasn't horrible either. There were plenty of things to choose from and the kids loved the kiddy buffet. Anyway, I had this feeling nagging at me since the 180 mark that we should do something different. After reading several reviews here that SciFi was awesome, I decided to change. I got in at 4:00. We usually don't eat that early, but that should still give us plenty of time to get to Fantasmic right? What do you all think? Did I make a good choice?

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
I think you made a good choice.

You'll want to eat earlier so that you don't have to rush for Fantasmic, and I prefer SciFi over H & V anytime!

SciFi is just neat, so the kids will enjoy the atmosphere and getting to eat in the "car".

AgentC
09-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I like Sci Fi. The atmosphere is just so cool. The burgers and shakes are yummy.

I've eaten at H&V before. I don't dislike it, but to me it is just another buffet.

I think you made a good choice which also gives you some breathing room. I hate feeling rushed when I eat.

Quadstriker
09-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Do not order the steak at Sci Fi. Consider yourself warned.

Worst "meal" I've had at any disney park on either coast.

cather74
09-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Even though it's dinner, stick to things that look lunchy on the menu.( burgers,sandwiches, salads,) they seem to be better than the entree meals. It has such great atmosphere! It's like walking into the 50s.
:mickey:

darthmacho
09-14-2012, 07:20 AM
I like H&V, but I like Sci-Fi just a little bit better, so I certainly endorse your choice. I also discovered Mama Melrose on our last trip, which was a pleasant surprise. :mickey:

disneysmiles
09-14-2012, 08:21 AM
I chose H&V on our last trip because there were 15 of us and I wanted to be sure we all got into fantasmic, so we went simply for the passes. It was ok. Food just didn't stand out to me.

This year is just my family, 4 of us. We don't mind standing in line early for fantasmic, so we are going to Sci-Fi Dine in. It's one of our favorites just for the experience. Make sure you get a milkshake! They are awesome!

Wolf
09-14-2012, 09:15 AM
I have always avoided H&V due to the bad reviews, we had Sci-fi before and really enjoyed it. I think you'll like it, the atmosphere is alot of fun!

Simba's Mom
09-14-2012, 11:43 AM
At 77 days to go...I decided to change one of my ADRs. I had H&V for 5:00, figuring that would give us plenty of time to eat and get to Fantasmic by 6:30. We ate there back in '10 and decided it wasn't the best, but it wasn't horrible either. There were plenty of things to choose from and the kids loved the kiddy buffet. Anyway, I had this feeling nagging at me since the 180 mark that we should do something different. After reading several reviews here that SciFi was awesome, I decided to change. I got in at 4:00. We usually don't eat that early, but that should still give us plenty of time to get to Fantasmic right? What do you all think? Did I make a good choice?

I just ate lunch at Sci-Fi on Sunday and I think you made an excellent choice. The atmosphere was great, my server was so nice, and the food was good-and reasonable! I was solo, sat in the back seat of a 3 row car, and my server made a point of introducing us at the beginning and making comments to include us all whenever he came around. Just one warning-on Sunday, it was a little cool in there so you might want to bring a sweater.

natstroop
09-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I was a little nervous about switching ADRs since I thought I had them all set. I will definately try the milkshakes. Do you know if they are included in the DDP?

Goofster
09-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I did the same. Was considering booking H&V and went with Sci-Fi instead for our upcoming trip in March. We ate at H&V in 2009 and thought the food was fine, but not memorable. I had last eaten at Sci-Fi in 1999, so I figured it would be a good to try it again with my kids. I figured they'd get a kick out of the atmosphere. It's pretty memorable!

JMTStone
09-14-2012, 02:27 PM
I liked SciFi better than even Hollywood Derby (except for the grapefruit cake). I am prepared for the onslaught of people who think I'm crazy. I got the ahi seared tuna and it was GROSS at HD.

My husband got a steak and it was delish. I got the chicken.

The girls (one considered an adult, the other a child) got the burgers and chicken off of the kids menu.

We all enjoyed milkshakes.

Tigerinvestigator
09-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Sci Fi is one of those places where the atmosphere more than makes up for the "ok" food. The look and feel of Sci Fi is incredible and very memorable...the food is just ok. I actually like the food at Hollywood and Vine and think it is one of the better buffets but it was extremely crowded. I don't think you made a bad choice at all.:thumbsup:

natstroop
09-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Do not order the steak at Sci Fi. Consider yourself warned.

Worst "meal" I've had at any disney park on either coast.

Was this the New York Strip or the Top Sirloin?

natstroop
09-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Oh no...has the menu been changed recently? The menu here says they have BBQ ribs, pork medallions, salmon, and steak. The Disney website only lists burgers and some pasta. My DS13 and DH was sooo looking forward to the BBQ ribs.

ElenitaB
09-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I also prefer SciFi to H&V. :thumbsup:

Menus are subject to change on a moment's notice, but the most recent should be posted on the Disney site.

Have a great trip!

Gator
09-14-2012, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't say that SciFi has great food compared to H&V, but the ambience is excellent. I'd say you made a good choice.

Mousemates
09-15-2012, 12:42 AM
I also prefer SciFi to H&V. :thumbsup:

:ditto: If you go with expectations of having a nice burger and a shake you won't be disappointed...but if you go expecting fine dining your at the wrong place. Its a fun place to eat basic food.

Quadstriker
09-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Was this the New York Strip or the Top Sirloin?

I can't be 100% sure, but I think it was grizzle and fat in the shape of a NY Strip.

Stick to burgers and shakes and you'll be ok. Hope you don't get the server that never shut up like we did. Oh is there something on the movie screen? Is there sound? I wouldn't know because Slappy here is in love with his voice.

LudwigVonDrake
09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Sci-Fi has great atmosphere and the food is pretty good. One of my "must dos" on each trip :eat:

WDWCrazyKaren
09-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Go to Sci Fi for the atmosphere. I agree with other posters that their burgers and malts are better than the steaks and ribs! We just really like the atmosphere. The desserts were pretty good!

MNNHFLTX
09-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I really enjoyed Hollywood and Vine when I ate there last year! However, my son and I ate for the first time at Sci-Fi in May and had a good time (it would have been more enjoyable if we hadn't of been rushing to make our FP return time at Toy Story Mania, but that's another story). Service was prompt and friendly and the theming is unique, to be sure. I think the food was fine--not anything special, but as someone mentioned previously, you go there for the atmosphere more than the food. I got the veggie burger, which was good but falling apart a bit. My son got the shrimp pasta which he enjoyed but the portion was surprisingly small.

Just an FYI--because of the way the "cars" are configured, if your party is 2 or 3 people, you will most likely be seated with another group. But they will be either in front or behind you and we didn't find this awkward at all. Since you are still seated in a row with your own party, there is no sense that you have to interact with the other group unless you wish to.

natstroop
09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
We're a party of 5, so hopefully we will get the whole car to ourselves. I showed the kids the pics of Sci-Fi and they are really pumped to eat there now. Burgers and shakes sound good to me. We'll have to make sure we eat something else for lunch so we're not sick of burgers by supper time.

disneynarula
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
DSs and I love Sci Fi. DH banned it this trip since he is not a burger fan and prefers more exotic choices.

DSs love eating in the cars.

They have great sandwiches and burgers at Sci Fi and my MIL really like the dish with the Tofu.

Hull-onian
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Sent you a private message......

DisneyDawgette
09-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Maybe I'm the crazy one, or it's just been a while and I had freak experiences, but IMHO H&V blew Sci-Fi out of the water! It would be so disappointing to me if it has changed since because I remember LOVING H&V when I was younger!

Sad day. :/