PDA

View Full Version : Can you pool hop from Pop to AoA?

mac badger
09-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Looked in older posts but didn't see this question. Are Pop Century and Art of Animation considered sister resorts where you can pool hop, like Riverside and French Quarter?

disneynarula
09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't think so. I really hope not.

Strmchsr
09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
No, they aren't.

CzepielCrew
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I would think that they are trying to prevent this from happening. The Big Blue Pool should be a perk for the AOA guests in my opinion.

Strmchsr
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
They are not considered sister resorts, which means guests do not have pool-hopping privileges, whether you want to or not. Disney policy specifically states that's not allowed.

BrerGnat
09-12-2012, 02:33 PM
There is a gate around the Big Blue Pool. It requires you to tap your room key to enter. AoA uses RFID encoded room keys, so only AoA guests can gain entry to the pool area. It is not considered Pop Century's "Sister Resort".

disney obsessed
09-12-2012, 02:34 PM
When I made reservations for pop the other day the reservation lady told me to do it.

Strmchsr
09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
When I made reservations for pop the other day the reservation lady told me to do it.

Unfortunately, sometimes Cast Members don't know their own policies.

mac badger
09-12-2012, 03:13 PM
I was not trying to buck the system, I was simply asking because i do not see the information anywhere else, including on the wdw website.

Strmchsr
09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I was not trying to buck the system, I was simply asking because i do not see the information anywhere else, including on the wdw website.

No problem! It was a fair question. We just try to be careful here about not allowing discussion from those who DO try to talk about way to circumvent the policies.

mac badger
09-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Well, that's the thing with the internet, you never can tell what someone's tone is. But I've been a very frequent visitor to WDW so I know the regular pool rules, just was wondering if these 2 resorts shared since they are so close together. However, I will definitely be visiting the food court at AoA as that looks very good, and I'm so happy that there is finally somewhere to walk to over that bridge!:mickey:

darthmacho
09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Well, that's the thing with the internet, you never can tell what someone's tone is. But I've been a very frequent visitor to WDW so I know the regular pool rules, just was wondering if these 2 resorts shared since they are so close together. However, I will definitely be visiting the food court at AoA as that looks very good, and I'm so happy that there is finally somewhere to walk to over that bridge!:mickey:

I just got back from a 14-day stay at Pop Century, and I enjoyed having the chance to also explore Art of Animation and to dine at Landscapes of Flavor.

The pools at Art of Animation were gated and for guests of that resort only. I would have liked to try their pools, but I can see why they don't allow it. Both resorts are pretty big, so I imagine the pools at Art would be too crowded if guests from both sides were allowed to use them.

Have fun and enjoy your stay at Pop Century.

BrerGnat
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
For what it's worth, I think Pop has a better pool.

The AoA pool is really nothing special. Honestly.

buzznwoodysmom
09-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Just what I was getting ready to say. While in WDW in July we took a morning to go check out the new resort. I saw the pools at AoA in person and I honestly don't see what all the hype is about. Sure it's a big pool, but nothing else jumped out at me as making it anything special. Just an overly themed Nemo pool area and a large sized pool.

JerseyDad
09-14-2012, 11:40 AM

....I have to agree...regarding the pool....and the resort in general. (I will have to give you that AoA has the suites ..bigger rooms ...can accommodate a family ...is new ...yadda...yadda).

....let me expand on my answer regarding AoA. I just stayed at POP (8/25 to 9/3) ...at the same time my brother and his family stayed at AoA. They went into the pool a few times, and though they liked it, they weren't "blown away". They came over to POP to see us and used the pool there a few times, and liked it. (they also like POP's food court better...but that's a different story) Also...when I told my brother that I couldn't just "walk over and use the AoA pool", he said, "Why Not? The 'gate' is never closed". Now...I don't know if that was an anomaly ....or that a Cast Member messed up ...or if it was that AoA WAS EMPTY when we were there.

(....there was no way they were at full occupancy...and a cast member told me so ...because when my brother checked in at AoA he told the person at the desk that we were staying at POP...and were going to show them around / help them because they have an autistic 16 yr old. When that was made known...the AoA concierge was going to upgrade us from POP to AoA ...no charge, so we could be closer to my brother. So...I know they don't do that when they are 'full'.)

...it's nice pool...but maybe just not, "that nice"?

BrerGnat
09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
[/I]Also...when I told my brother that I couldn't just "walk over and use the AoA pool", he said, "Why Not? The 'gate' is never closed". Now...I don't know if that was an anomaly ....or that a Cast Member messed up ...or if it was that AoA WAS EMPTY when we were there.

The gate does not automatically swing shut, and it is not "manned" by CM's at all. It is a safety style gate where you have to actually close the door once you are in (to prevent smashed fingers). It's the GUESTS that are to blame for not closing the gate. When we were at the pool, the gate was closed when we arrived, and we made sure to close it after entering. At Disneyland, they use SUPER HEAVY auto close gates that swing shut with enough force to actually lock.

Lindsey310
09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
We stayed at pop in august/September and wandered over to AOA to check out the resort and the pools.
Like the nemo section and the pool. Very cute. I don't like how there are no balconies. (I realize there aren't any at pop either but at least the doors are on the outside whereas the doors in AoA are on the inside.) Only windows faced the pool. Like the outdoor walkways leading to rooms better.
Thought the theming was really cute but considering I'm all set with pop and all star, probably won't be staying here either :mickey:

darthmacho
09-14-2012, 06:39 PM

My kids loved the Pop pools. For some reason, they loved the Bowling Pin Pool the best. I didn't look too closely at the pools at Art, but I kind of felt the gates detracted from the ambiance a bit.

LVT
09-17-2012, 08:05 AM
It is to me. It is a belated development of the POP resort. We have all been waiting and watching for the completion of POP. :secret:

Cinderelley
09-18-2012, 12:25 AM
It is to me. It is a belated development of the POP resort. We have all been waiting and watching for the completion of POP. :secret:

yeah. Why have the bridge to connect them if they aren't?

disneynarula
09-18-2012, 05:38 AM
But Disney does not consider them "sister" resorts even if you can walk from one to the other.

AgentC
09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
yeah. Why have the bridge to connect them if they aren't?

I don't think walking distance has anything to do with how Disney views the pools. I think it has more to do with making sure guests who paid to stay at a resort have access to the amenities at that resort.

You can walk from Boardwalk to Stormalong Bay but Boardwalk guests are not allowed to use that pool. The pool at Bay Lake Tower is also not supposed to be used by guests at the Contemporary.

Cinderelley
09-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't think walking distance has anything to do with how Disney views the pools. I think it has more to do with making sure guests who paid to stay at a resort have access to the amenities at that resort.

You can walk from Boardwalk to Stormalong Bay but Boardwalk guests are not allowed to use that pool. The pool at Bay Lake Tower is also not supposed to be used by guests at the Contemporary.

I thought Bay Lake Tower was part of the Contemporary.

AgentC
09-19-2012, 12:36 AM
I thought Bay Lake Tower was part of the Contemporary.

The official name is Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, so I guess it is considered to share the grounds but not be part of the actual resort. It is kind of confusing. :confused:

If you stay at BLT, you can use all the facilities at the Contemporary including the pool, but if you stay at the Contemporary you are not supposed to use the pool at BLT.

Usually when there is a villa and a regular resort at the same location, the villa pool is just a quiet pool. I suppose BLT is different because it is a feature pool.

big blue and hairy
09-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Also interesting that they are not considered "sister resorts" since they share one big thing, the General Manager! I'm really not that surprised, more amused by it.

I also have to agree, the pool is cute, but not a must do or a reason to have to stay there. It is big and it is blue, and yes well themed, but the Pop pool is quite cute, too.

:sulley:

Cinderelley
09-22-2012, 03:02 AM
It is big and it is blue, and yes well themed, but the Pop pool is quite cute, too.

But not hairy?

big blue and hairy
09-25-2012, 07:38 PM
But not hairy?

:ack: :D