PDA

View Full Version : How far have you gone for food?

Mendelson
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Not like a full meal, of course, but how far across the parks/WDW have you gone for a little treat? Maybe just that rare good cup of coffee or a Dole Whip Float?

I ask because I have concluded that on our next trip we are absolutely taking the time to go to Pop Century (where I would otherwise have no desire to go) to have the new "King" cupcake.... the Elvis-inspired confection that is a chocolate cupcake with banana filling, peanut butter icing, and candied bacon and chocolate drizzle on top. It seems ridiculous to commit so much to getting a cupcake, But I mean DID YOU READ WHAT THAT THING CONSISTS OF??

How far have you gone for a tasty bite?

Wolf
09-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Well...I just added a expedition to get one of those insanely amazing cupcakes on my upcoming trip! Also the most insane thing we've done for Disney snacks is the day we left we ran to get a last minute school bread from Norway (My personal drug addiction) and I totally forgot you couldnt get it through security, so we are in line for security and I'm woofing this thing back, I had cream from nearly ear to ear when we made it up to the lady who checks your ID and she just laughed and handed me a paper towel, told me she admired my determination and was now hungry. :)

dizneydeb22
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
No matter where we are staying, we trek over to the Polynesian to get Tonga Toast for breakfast. We try to make it on a day that we are going to the MK, but it doesn't always work out that way. We have gone from the Pop to the Poly and then over to AK for the day! :blush:

cer
09-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Well...I just added a expedition to get one of those insanely amazing cupcakes on my upcoming trip! Also the most insane thing we've done for Disney snacks is the day we left we ran to get a last minute school bread from Norway (My personal drug addiction) and I totally forgot you couldnt get it through security, so we are in line for security and I'm woofing this thing back, I had cream from nearly ear to ear when we made it up to the lady who checks your ID and she just laughed and handed me a paper towel, told me she admired my determination and was now hungry. :)

I have taken food through security before - just no liquids. Was it the cream that would keep you from getting through? Just wondering....

Wolf
09-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I have taken food through security before - just no liquids. Was it the cream that would keep you from getting through? Just wondering....

I'm not really sure, they were taking peoples oranges and stuff up ahead of me so I jumped into action just to make certain, can't lose my last fix before at least a year away!!

BugeyedMuggy
09-12-2012, 11:21 AM
To AKL for Zebra Domes. And I have also brought some on the plane for home.

disneynarula
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM

My out of the way trip was for school bread too. The family and I were at The Seas with Nemo and I would not leave the park without it. I had a very full dinner at Coral Reef and was not hungry at the time. When we go back to the our hotel room I put the box with the school bread in our cooler. I was hoping to have it for breakfast. When I was doing laundry that night one of the kids dumped it out of the box and into the ice while getting a juice box. All the ice melted and I was left with a soggy mess. Then the next mornning I made everyone go back to Epcot even though we were supposed to be at the Studios. We rode the boat from the international gateway so it wasn't really out of the way, right?

I have been a huge fan of school bread since the early nineties. When I was on the College Program I worked at the Grand Floridian. If I got off work early enough I would ride the monorail over to Epcot just to get School Bread.

Once I was in a long line at the bakery and noticed that there was only one left. I was so worried that someone else would buy it. I was with my mother and she just laughed and laughed about my aniexty over it.

I have a recipe that is pretty close.

SBETigg
09-12-2012, 11:52 AM
That cupcake looks amazing! I hope it's worth the trip, but I'm actually staying there in October so I will try it then and report back. I would go out of my way for the right food, though.

Kenny1113
09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
I am so excited to hear about this cupcake. I think DH and DSs will love it. Thanks. :)

Mendelson
09-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I made everyone go back to Epcot even though we were supposed to be at the Studios. We rode the boat from the international gateway so it wasn't really out of the way, right?

That is devotion!

Mousemates
09-12-2012, 01:09 PM
have gone from the poly to AKL for Zebra Domes...and way back in the day when you couldn't get big boxes of coconut mickey heads at all the resorts we went from the Pop to the Poly.

A Big Kid
09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I ran 26.2 miles to eat at Ohana many times in the past.

joonyer
09-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I have driven off-site over to Kissimmee to get a sack of Krystal burgers and brought them back to our room for a late-night supper. Sometimes I just get a craving for them and have to have some. Wish there was someplace in WDW to get them.

SBETigg
09-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Another note about the King cupcakes-- apparently, they are known to sell out early in the day, so go early.

darthmacho
09-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Well, I booked a 14-day stay at Pop Century this past summer because I simply had to try the Tie-Dye Cheesecake.

I am currently planning my next trip around the sole purpose of maximizing my intake of Zebra Domes. ;)

BrerGnat
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I once went from the Contemporary all the way to the Boardwalk bakery by way of monorail to Epcot then walking through the IG, just for a cheesecake brownie. :blush:

Disney Hungarian
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
While I was on KS at AK with my mother. She decides she has to have a cream cheese stuffed pretzel. I had to wheel her out of the park onto a bus to HS then wheel all the way back to the Osbourne Lights section to get her a PRETZEL!

ransam
09-12-2012, 04:41 PM
we once got in at 9pm at the pop. I took a bus to epcot, not sure why epcot, because it's in every park, just to have a frozen bananna. then came back and went to bed.

Gator
09-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I've made an extra trip in the early morning to MK to grab a cinnamon roll from the Main Street bakery. Well worth it.:thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
We always eat at the AKL and we always use WDW buses to get there.

MargaretMessler
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
On one trip, I think we made 5-6 trips over to EPCOT in the late evening just to get desert.

sportsguy2315
09-13-2012, 08:18 AM
I was at DisneyQuest one day and was going to close down Epcot when I got hungry for the build your own pasta at POR. Get done with my latest round of Golden Tee, take the bus to POR, pasta time, then head over to Epcot.

azcavalier
09-13-2012, 10:35 AM
We have made several trips out to Beaches n' Cream in the middle of the afternoon just for a family try at the Kitchen Sink.

Dsnygirl
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
We always find a way to get to AKL for the zebra domes... not willing to miss them on ANY trip... plus, it's so relaxing just to be in the lobby and go out to Arusha rock and see the animals... and then there's the gift shop... so really, it's not THAT far out of the way, right?? :blush:

bruin1344
09-13-2012, 04:57 PM
MK for Ice Cream sundae or Ice Cream sandwich at Main Street Bakery/Ice Cream Shop

WDWgoofy
09-14-2012, 01:59 PM
I made an extra visit to the Animal Kingom so that I could enjoy another serving of ribs from Flametree :thumbsup:

I have driven to AKL to just get a Zebra Dome

darthmacho
09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
I made an extra visit to the Animal Kingom so that I could enjoy another serving of ribs from Flametree :thumbsup:

I have driven to AKL to just get a Zebra Dome

That is awesome!

Is anone else getting hungry reading this thread? :eat:

JMTStone
09-14-2012, 03:58 PM
So we were there in 2011 and I had this cupcake at the contemporary counter service. Chocolate with caramel inside and dark chocolate icing.

RIGHT?

Anyway, we get there in 2012. No cupcake. I got a red velvet with cream cheese icing instead.

ANYWAY. DH is still hoping every trip that they bring back the French Toast at the Bakery on Main Street.

WDWgoofy
09-14-2012, 07:07 PM
I've gone too far in another manner...

I know I've had school bread when I was still really full from a meal at Chef de France :blush:

On a few occasions I had to have a Dole Whip cuz I knew I would't get another for a long time

JerseyDad
09-15-2012, 09:42 AM
.....don't know if I would make a "special trip" or detour just for one food item .....I would however make a note of specific items that I like, and make sure I get one if I'm at a particular venue.

....BTW ....the "King Cupcake" was absolutely "different" for lack of a better term. Not something I would eat on a daily basis....for fear of meeting my demise in the manner in which Elvis did!! But it definitely was a tasty diversion from the normal choice of Tie Dyed Cheesecake.

RavsRuleDisney!
09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
last day and we are leaving MK to begin the journey home. My older DS reminds me i promised him a super huge turkey leg and being the good dad - ok, i was hankering for it too - i thought i would grab one in Tomorrowland....but NO!! No legs to be had. So as our two family posse made their way to the exits, me and DS raced across to Fronteirland, tracked down the leg in question and raced back to the exits, just catching everyone getting on our bus back to the resort. And that turkey leg fed several hungry folks I'll tell ya!! :mickey:

Victor Kelly
09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Dole whip, doesnt matter where we are, If we want it, we are going for it. From AK to MK for the stuff.

JMTStone
09-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Dole whip, doesnt matter where we are, If we want it, we are going for it. From AK to MK for the stuff.

Is it wrong that my daughter says "Dole Whip" like Stewie from Family Guys? Its HILARIOUS to me the first time so she always does it now.:blush:

DisneyDawgette
09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Don't shoot me, but ... What's a Zebra Dome?:confused:

PlutoPlanet
09-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Could you please tell me where in Norway do you get the school bread? I did not see it on display in the Bakery. Thanks.

Mousemates
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Don't shoot me, but ... What's a Zebra Dome?:confused:

Zebra Domes are composed of a thin layer of white cake, a dome of mousse that I guess is flavored with either kahlua or amarula , coated in a white chocolate and then drizzled with a dark chocolate to give it zebra stripes.

DisneyDawgette
09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Zebra Domes are composed of a thin layer of white cake, a dome of mousse that I guess is flavored with either kahlua or amarula , coated in a white chocolate and then drizzled with a dark chocolate to give it zebra stripes.

That sounds delicious. I can see why people make the trek! Lol. :thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
09-30-2012, 07:38 PM
When I was pregnant with DS#2 we stayed at SOG and each morning and evening on our way out/in I made DH stop at the POLY for me to have a Dole Whip! He joked with me if he was going to have to fly down daily for my fix!!

DS#1 and I always stop at the bakery in France for a little somethin somethin......I love the praleneage things!!!

We also MUST HAVE the brownies at DHS!! You have to get them early though, they sell out by mid day!

Yeah.....we are food people!:D

MrPeetrie
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Last year, when we were staying at the Caribbean, we took a bus to POFQ just for the beignets. Then, we took the boat to DTD and a bus back to our resort.

Well worth it!!!

Wright46
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
While at the Contemporary one night, I got out of bed, got dressed, and rode the monorail to Poly for a Dole Whip.

Dopey's Girl
10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
It wasn't me, but my parents took two buses and two boats to get beignets. They were staying at CBR. They were at CBR, and went to DHS via bus. Boat to BC to look around, bus to DtD, then boat to POFQ. They did this without calling me, because when I asked why they didn't just take the bus to DtD then the boat, they laughed like crazy people. They never even thought of it.

Mousefever
10-20-2012, 02:23 AM
That cupcake looks amazing! I hope it's worth the trip, but I'm actually staying there in October so I will try it then and report back. I would go out of my way for the right food, though.

I'll split one with you!

I will make any excuse to go to Downtown Disney so that I can get my favorite sandwich at Earl's! The All-American...yummy!

Amy

Kenny1113
10-20-2012, 04:16 AM
The king cupcake was good! DH and DS8 loved it. Actually everyone in our party enjoyed it. We ended up with 3 cupcakes for our party of 9. :blush:

The banana was not too overpowering it was just enough, and the best part...peanut butter icing!