PDA

View Full Version : DMacho's Dining Review: Crystal Palace and Pinocchio Haus

darthmacho
09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I've decided to combine my daily reviews of QS and TS dining from my recent vacation, because I don't want to inundate the boards with my reviews. Therefore, here are my reviews from Day 2:

Pinocchio Haus
Fantasyland, Magic Kingdom
Meal: Lunch

Food: 3.5/5
Though it has a German name, the food at Pinocchio Haus is Italian style. With the generally poor reviews of pizza at WDW, and me being Italian, I was genuinely surprised by the quality of the food. I ordered the Caprese Flatbread, which was quite delicious. The crust was crispy, the cheese perfect, and the balsamic glaze sweet. Both DW and I had this with the mango gelato for our dessert. DD1 had chicken strips, fries, and chocolate gelato, and DD2 got mac & cheese from the kid’s menu. It all was good, though surprisingly, no one ordered the Figaro Fries.

Service: 3.5/5
The service here was above average for the trip. The place was already busy when we arrived, and we got our food fairly quickly. The help was mostly friendly too.

Atmosphere: 4/5
We were lucky enough to get a seat by the window overlooking the It’s a Small World queue, which is always a treat. I love the interior of this quaint little establishment, and always get amused by the various murals depicting scenes from the movie Pinocchio.

Overall: 3.5/5
I think this was our third trip eating in Pinocchio Haus. Our first was back when it was still serving burgers, which was in 1998, our honeymoon trip. We also ate there in 2003, when we had the Figaro Fries. Overall, I like Pinocchio Haus, especially the atmosphere, and I was happy to find something I liked on the menu, which was that Caprese Flatbread.

Crystal Palace
Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom
Meal: Breakfast

Food: 4/5
Crystal Palace serves your basic WDW breakfast fare, buffet style, but they do it really well. My favorite items are the Mickey Waffles, which always seem to be made to perfection. Other items I enjoyed were the grits, sausage gravy, sausage frittata, and the breakfast lasagna. Don’t ask me what was in the breakfast lasagna, but just know that it was delicious! Of course, the more standard items like eggs, bacon, toast, bagels, fresh fruit, and pancakes were all available. I love breakfast on vacation, and I’m always happy with the food at Crystal Palace.

Service: 4/5
Our waitress was Cathy, and she was friendly, helpful and attentive. On a trip that I felt lacked in truly quality service in some areas, I felt that Cathy was one of the best we encountered.

Atmosphere: 5/5
The location in the hub and gorgeous dining room make Crystal Palace worth the price of admission, but add Pooh and his friends visiting your table, and you’ve got one of the best places in WDW to dine. I even love the bathrooms and the area just outside them! For this visit we had a table with a good view of the castle, though it was a little sunny over there in the morning. Ducklings and bunnies frolicking in the grass outside were an extra treat.

Overall: 4.5/5
Crystal Palace is one of my favorite restaurants in all of WDW. It is definitely my favorite place to have breakfast, and now eating there on the first full day has become a tradition that I’d sorely miss if we didn’t do it.

Well, that’s my review. If anyone has more specific questions, I’ll answer them to the best of my ability.

Gator
09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Surprised at the Haus review. I went there once and the food was not all that great. Plus it was crowded. I may have to try that again - probably after I find out there's an hour wait at Be Our Guest for lunch.

And I do love the bathrooms at Crystal Palace. It's like an old parlor in there.

darthmacho
09-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Surprised at the Haus review. I went there once and the food was not all that great. Plus it was crowded. I may have to try that again - probably after I find out there's an hour wait at Be Our Guest for lunch.

And I do love the bathrooms at Crystal Palace. It's like an old parlor in there.

I was honestly surprised too. It was actually crowded, which made it a little cramped, but I still like the dining room. Also, I feel like I was rating my experience more than the restaurant itself, which got boosted by two factors that might not apply to someone else's visit:

1. We got the seat we wanted, despite the crowded conditions. (Lucky)
2. There was an item on the menu that happened to agree with me. (The Flatbread)

If you're going to give it a try, you may want to go around 11, instead of during the prime lunch hour.

Dopey's Girl
09-10-2012, 07:56 PM
CP is the meal I look forward too each trip. The puffed French toast (it's on the kids buffet I think) is my single favorite breakfast item ever.

I may have to try the Haus...we have always passed it by!

SBETigg
09-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I've never been to Pinocchio Haus. It is a tad confusing. Aren't Gepetto and Pinocchio Italian? Are they up near Switzerland? But then there's the whole ocean scene and Monstro. So the Italian food makes sense, but the Haus doesn't quite fit in for me. Anyway, haven't tried it but it sounds good.

Crystal Palace, have not been in years but have always loved the architecture. Can't go wrong with Mickey waffles. Yum.

Tink#64
09-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Great reviews Darth! And it sounds like you were pleased with your dining venue selections which is always nice! And Pinocchio Village Haus is one of our fav's! The food is decent, but we really like the quaint atmosphere & we always have an early lunch & we've never NOT scored a window table overlooking IASW! So much of the CS fare is pretty generic, little variation from one place to the next, it's always nice when an original menu item tickles your fancy & when the atmosphere is unique enough to draw you in! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
We are planning breakfast at CP in November for DD Sweet 16 b'day. She has requested this and we've never done it before; but have wanted to for a long time. DH thinks she is too old for this; but she doesn't care. Kourtney is so excited for this upcoming trip!!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-11-2012, 08:25 AM
These sound great...we enjoy Crystal Palace for dinner too

darthmacho
09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
We are planning breakfast at CP in November for DD Sweet 16 b'day. She has requested this and we've never done it before; but have wanted to for a long time. DH thinks she is too old for this; but she doesn't care. Kourtney is so excited for this upcoming trip!!:mickey:

No way is she too young. Trust me, I don't go to Crystal Palace because I have kids. I'm glad they enjoy it, but I was dining there before we ever had kids. I hope my kids never feel like they have outgrown character dining.

Gator
09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
No way is she too young. Trust me, I don't go to Crystal Palace because I have kids. I'm glad they enjoy it, but I was dining there before we ever had kids. I hope my kids never feel like they have outgrown character dining.

Man, that exactly how I feel. We went there on our honeymoon, and I'll never forget that experience - especially since it was our first character meal. We didn't even know they existed. We even went to a princes breakfast at Epcot and LTT when there were characters long before kids. I really love character meal - maybe more than my kids.

amorillo
09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
another family here who loves crystal palace... and yes, we've done breakfast here with, and without, kids! :D

Unfortunately not doing breakfast here this year... my teens have begun the "it's too early" fight. :fit: so i have to pick and choose. But we've squeezed in a dinner here... which we haven't done in years.

Disneymom4ever
09-12-2012, 07:46 AM
My family loves CP as well, and we seem to go every trip. Actually, my 16 and 19 yr. old boys are the ones who request it. So no, I don't think you're ever too old! We always go before the park opens- there's nothing as special to us as walking down Main St. when it's empty. And the puffed french toast, oh my! Great meal, beautiful place! Haven't been to Pinocchio Village Haus, honestly, I wasn't even sure where it was. Sounds good though, I'll remember it next time. Thanks for the review! :mickey:

January-2007
09-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for sharing.

DisneyorBust
09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Crystal Palace for breakfast is one of our family's "must do's" each trip. We've been happy with the food each time and though our children are older, they still get a kick out of the characters. Being there in a near empty Magic Kingdom is special too. Great memories.