PDA

View Full Version : Lizards?

darthmacho
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Okay, I was wondering if anyone, perhaps a FL resident, or perhaps someone here is a herpetologist, lol, if anyone know what species of lizard that is that we see all over the place in WDW. My DD2 kept calling them geckos, but I had no idea whether she was right or not, so I didn't bother correcting her. :blush:

All of us were fascinated and entertained by the little lizards, but DD2 was particularly fond of them, and called them her "gecko buddies".

figgie
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure you want to know what I call them when they get into my house!

darthmacho
09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Not sure you want to know what I call them when they get into my house!

I'm sure they aren't as adorable when you live with them invading your personal space every day. :lizard:

MNNHFLTX
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Most of the lizards you see in Florida are anole lizards (also called anoles). They come in many different colors. Have you seen the green-throated ones that bulge out a reddish sac from their throat?

brownie
09-07-2012, 05:05 PM
After looking at some old photos I took of the little lizards at Walt Disney World and doing some research, it looks like they might be Anole lizards (two varieties - green and brown).

darthmacho
09-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Most of the lizards you see in Florida are anole lizards (also called anoles). They come in many different colors. Have you seen the green-throated ones that bulge out a reddish sac from their throat?

After looking at some old photos I took of the little lizards at Walt Disney World and doing some research, it looks like they might be Anole lizards (two varieties - green and brown).

Thanks for the info. We saw them in all sorts of colors from light gray to black, and yes, they had that red bulge in their throat which I assume they display for attracting females or intimidating rivals. We also observed them doing "push-ups" when confronting each other, which I assume was another sort of ritual for warding off rivals, because after doing this, one always broke off and ran away.

Do these lizards have the ability to alter their color/shade? I thought I observed some of them doing that.

MargaretMessler
09-07-2012, 05:15 PM
I remember we had a couple of them get into our room one trip, and what a hilarious sight it would've been for anyone peeking in the window or door - watching three grown adults chasing a teeny tiny lizard around a room! :laughing:

Altair
09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Fence Lizards are also common in Florida.
Anoles can change their color. :lizard:

darthmacho
09-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Fence Lizards are also common in Florida.
Anoles can change their color. :lizard:

Now the question is, why do they change their color? My first instinct was "camoflage" but I saw so many dark ones on light pavement and vice versa that I doubt that now. My new theory is that it is to regulate body temperature, you know, darker skin absorbs more heat, or perhaps to intimidate rivals too. I don't know why I'm so interested.

darthmacho
09-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Okay, I just googled "anole" and I'm convinced that the lizards I saw were "Brown anoles".

I'll shut up about it now. :lizard:

MNNHFLTX
09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
We also observed them doing "push-ups" when confronting each other, which I assume was another sort of ritual for warding off rivals, because after doing this, one always broke off and ran away.
Oh, I love seeing them do the push-ups--it's hilarious! Yes, some anoles can change color, but I've never exactly known why. Your theory makes sense.

MissMaryPoppins
09-07-2012, 11:56 PM

I saw one of those a few weeks ago outside of our lanai. It was sitting on the pool filter just hanging outside. I have two dogs and one of them, a terrier, loves to chase lizards, geckos, and frogs, so when he saw this guy he kept barking at it. Each time he barked the lizard's throat sac would bulge out. It was gross and funny at the same time.

DarthMacho....your little girl calling them her "gecko buddies" is so cute!

Tink#64
09-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks Darth, great thread! We LOVE those little lizards! They are so cute, interesting & fun to observe! It seems that we see more of them at Pop & Epcot than anywhere else in WDW! We have some pics of them in with our vacation photos from our last couple of trips - we enjoyed them that much! :lizard: :D

Kenny1113
09-08-2012, 06:52 AM
It's funny you should mention them. My very first time coming to Florida as a little girl I was completely freaked out by them. Now that I have been here many years, they don't bother me. I kinda like them because they eat the bugs ;)

figgie
09-08-2012, 08:52 AM
While sitting in the dentist chair a while back, I observed one shedding it's skin and then eating it. The nurse and I laughed but we were both mesmerized by the whole thing. My appointment took much longer than usual that day. Funny little entertainers aren't they?

Now, do you want to talk about the little frogs?:frog:

kcrc
09-08-2012, 10:37 AM
We see them all the time at the Poly. We make it a game each morning as we are walking to the monorail or bus... Who can spot the most!

Melanie
09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Endless entertainment was sitting on our lanai in Florida and watching our cats try and get the lizards on the other side of the screen. While I'm missing WDW since we moved, I think our cats miss that fun activity the most. :lizard:

BrerGnat
09-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Endless entertainment was sitting on our lanai in Florida and watching our cats try and get the lizards on the other side of the screen. While I'm missing WDW since we moved, I think our cats miss that fun activity the most. :lizard:

I need to borrow your cats, Mel. I keep finding these super weird blue and red lizards in my backyard. They are gross! A HUGE one came running out from under my grill cover yesterday. Freaked me right out!