PDA

View Full Version : Just a little bit of Disney?

TheVBs
09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Our last trip was Fall 2011 and our next trip isn't until 2014. Normally we go every two years, but things got sidetracked and we're doing a Yellowstone trip next year. It's really hard to imagine waiting that long! So, I was thinking, we may be visiting family in FL over Thanksgiving. Would doing a little bit of Disney be fun or would it just be torture? I thought we could do something like just the MVMCP one night. We're used to staying for 10 days at a time. DH says he doesn't think he could stand just that little bit and is worried he'd feel too disappointed about just that short amount of time in Disney. I can understand what he's saying, I might feel the same way. That's why I'm also looking into Legoland and Universal.

I realize if you go every year, or multiple times a year, this little fix would totally make sense and probably wouldn't disappoint. But for those of you who only go every couple of years or so - do you think you could do just a short visit like that? Would it be just what you need to hold you over, or would it be too much of a tease?

disneymom15
09-06-2012, 09:31 AM
If I'm that close, I'm going. It would be more torture to me, not going.

Mendelson
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Absolutely go. It will be challenging/disappointing at the time of departure, but you'll happy you did it afterward. I've had two similar experiences and was glad I went into the parks.

Disneymom4ever
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I deal with this situation twice a year! My son goes to a university 30 min. from the parks, we actually drive right past them in June to pick him up, and again in August to drop him off. It's absolute torture for me, knowing I'm that close. So yes, last month we made a stop, but not even to the parks. We did Downtown Disney, took the bus to AofA resort, and took the boat to POR just to look around. I needed my Disney fix! Heck, I even thought about taking the monorail from TTC, just to ride through Epcot. Was it worth it to me? Absolutely, it gave me a little dose to hold me over, and just made me more excited for a future trip to come! It was better than nothing, I thought. So I say go for it! :mickey:

Disney Hungarian
09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Another vote for; Go.
My family wanted a family reunion dinner at CRT. I flew solo into MCO on a Friday night after work. Enjoyed MK on Saturday and had dinner with them. Came home on Sunday. It was actually fun.
My only regret would be paying that much for a one day one park ticket. :thumbsup:

disneynarula
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Go! We live in Germany and went to Disneyland Paris for a few days. It was a really nice Disney fix.

natstroop
09-06-2012, 11:14 AM
I think that would be neat to go for a day. I probably wouldn't go to the parks, but to DTD and to the resorts. And maybe have dinner at one of them. Sounds fun!

BrerGnat
09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
We were kind of in the same situation a few weeks ago. Last WDW trip was December 2011 and next trip isn't planned until 2014. We went on a Disney cruise and spent one night before and one night after on WDW property. We stayed at AoA one night, and the Swan the other night. It was TORTURE for me to not be able to walk over into Epcot on the day we were at the Swan. TORTURE.

However, I was NOT about to spend $300 for me and my two kids to spend a few hours at Epcot. So, we just did Downtown Disney. It was fun but I really was sad to not be doing any of the parks.

So, yeah, you might feel sad, but if you are planning to actually BE in the park for one day, it would probably be a lot of fun and a good quick fix.

minnie04
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM

I agree!! I would make the best of what ever time you have there and go for it :mickey:

mgmnut
09-06-2012, 11:53 AM
If I had to just pick 1 park and go during normal operating hours I would say no, it would just leave me wanting more. If it was for a special event like MNSSHP or MVMCP I think I would. But of course that's just me.

#1donaldfan
09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Go !! It's the little boost you'll need to make the 2014 wait seem more appealing !! Like mentioned, if I were in the area I'd at least go to DtD. !!!!! :cool:

Gator
09-06-2012, 12:16 PM

I would have to agree with this statement. I was in SoCal on business last month. I had to at least go to Downtown Disney (which is between the 2 DL parks). Although, it wasn't a park experience, I could still see the fireworks.

MVMCP would be an excellent option. You can show up as early at 4pm I believe, and then stay until midnight. You get rides, parades, and fireworks. Can't beat that. Do it!

Dopey's Girl
09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't have the self control to be that close and not go in. I say buy MVMCP tickets and have a blast!

EeyoresBestFriend
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Another vote for GO!

Just because you can't feast, doesn't mean that you wouldn't enjoy a snack!! :D

azcavalier
09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Go. Have fun! Even a little Disney is better than no Disney at all! We've been toying with the idea for a few years of taking the kids down for a quick weekend getaway, staying on property at Beach Club, enjoying the pool, going to DTD, and only eating at the various hotel restaurants.

Goofeygal
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I vote GO

jnfr2424
09-06-2012, 08:20 PM
My job sent me to Sanford for business
I had my AP in my wallet and as soon as I was finished with work I was off to Disney.

If you can go, DO IT!!

BraddyB
09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Go for it, if you don't, you will end up regretting it !! :mickey:

TheVBs
09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
LOL! I love you guys! :cloud9:

Alright it's settled, I'm going to work on selling the idea to DH. :mickey: Never mind that we don't even know if we're actually going to FL yet. :blush: Guess that would be a good thing to figure out first.

It's just so hard to say to the DDs (12 & 8) that we're not going again for another two years. They ask about going all the time and two years must feel like a million to them.

I was thinking about either DTD or the party, but love the idea of visiting the resorts and maybe having a meal at one too. Thanks! :mickey:

TheVBs
09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Pitched the idea to him last night while we were out for our 15th anniversary. :cloud9: It was a much easier sell than I expected! He left a message with his dad today to see if they will be around for Thanksgiving and up for company. Now waiting to hear back. If that works out we'll do the 11/25 party. :mickey: If that doesn't work out we'll see if there's another good time to visit. Fingers crossed it all works out! If it does, I'm going to book our overnight at AoA. :mickey:

MrPeetrie
09-09-2012, 06:57 AM
TheVBs, I've actually had this scenario in a dream (nightmare) several times where I find myself in the Magic Kingdom for just one day (without any pre-planning) and it is torture.

On a different note, last year our departure flight didn't leave until 8. Usually, we check out, hang out around the resort and wait for Magical Express. But last year, I said "Let's go to the Magic Kingdom for a half day. We have time. We can eat, shop, then come back."

It sounded great but it was horrible and we all agreed never again. It was too heartbreaking to be in the Magic Kingdom on such a glorious day and have to leave around 1 and head back home. My DD8 couldn't stop tearing up.

This year, our departure flight leaves late again, but we all agree we are NOT going to Magic Kingdom that day. We are going to Downtown Disney for some shopping and meals. Then we'll take boat ride back to French Quarter for some last beignets before boarding our bus.

If it were me, I'd probably stick to DD or if you can make it fit, hit the MVMCP. Whatever you decide, I truly hope you and your family enjoy yourselves.

disney obsessed
09-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Fun!!!

TheVBs
09-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Too funny Mr. Peetrie! My Disney stress dream is that we're there, on property, but can't get into the parks for some reason.

We've done the MK on our last day as well with mixed results. Sometimes it's just too hard to be there knowing you have a finite amount of time. We've done Blizzard Beach on the last day and that was better. Since we drive, on our last trip, we just went swimming for a short time and hit the road. That went fine.

Still waiting to hear back from his dad! I'm going to try not to stalk them or anything. :blush: We always have a great time visiting them. The Tampa zoo is amazing, and we love walking around Tarpon Springs. Right now our plan, if this works out, is to book one night at AoA, check in, enjoy the resort, go to the Christmas party, stay the night and head home the next morning. We've talked about doing DTD or some miniature golf the next day. But with a long drive home and the girls needing to be back in school, we'll probably just head out first thing.

disneymom2000
09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
You won't regret it. One day at Disney is better than none.

Tink#64
09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Go! GO! GO! If it was us, we'd definitely enjoy one day at WDW - way better than none! Yes, it might be hard not to experience all of your fav's, but one day - could be truly magical! We only visit WDW every other year whilst visitng other destinations on those alternating years is awesome, we still miss the magic that WDw has to offer! If it was my family, I know they'd be all for going for that one very special day!

Sending you some :pixie: to help you on your journey!

Mousemates
09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Pitched the idea to him last night while we were out for our 15th anniversary. :cloud9: It was a much easier sell than I expected! He left a message with his dad today to see if they will be around for Thanksgiving and up for company. Now waiting to hear back. If that works out we'll do the 11/25 party. :mickey: If that doesn't work out we'll see if there's another good time to visit. Fingers crossed it all works out! If it does, I'm going to book our overnight at AoA. :mickey:

hope everything works out and you all have a great time!

Mom on a Mission
09-12-2012, 03:40 PM
We're doing a one day stop at Disneyland Paris in February -- can't wait!! That said, I would also suggest checking out Universal or Sea World. We always have a good time there, but our kids will only give up one day (or half a day) of a disney trip to do it.:mickey:

darthmacho
09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Do it! You know you want to! ;)

In the past, I might have considered a small taste to be torture. Now that we've been on our 5th trip, twice in two years, and a total of 24 days since 2010, I'd consider a short stay a nice treat. :mickey:

TheVBs
09-12-2012, 04:18 PM
We are trying to make it work! Just waiting to hear back if my in-laws will be in town, and up for, guests for Thanksgiving. If we get a yes from them, then it's a go! :mickey:

I realized something today. The party and the room won't even cost us anything because we can use our Disney Reward Dollars! :mickey: I'm really glad there's been a delay in hearing back from them because I would have paid for those things right away and only thought of the reward $ later.

Keeping our fingers crossed! I really think we not only need this little visit to WDW, but we also need the family time.

Mom on a Mission, that's really cool! I can't wait to hear about it. When we were on our honeymoon, I tried to get DH to agree to a day in Disneyland Paris, but he would not go for it.

ransam
09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
yea, i agree, go.

I went one time for just 3 hours, and just being there was a quick little fix between my yearly visits.

TheVBs
09-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Well, we've heard back and it looks like a Thanksgiving visit is up in the air. They may be out of town. Hopefully in about a week they'll know for sure, which means we'll know for sure. If Thanksgiving doesn't work out, I'm happy to change the dates. The holiday was just convenient because the girls would already have time off school. Now, I just have to try not to stalk them to get an answer. :blush: Now that I have the plan in my head, I'm just itching to book. Really hoping we can work something out!!

Dsnygirl
09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
We are facing a similar question for February... hoping you hear back from your DH's family and that it works out!! :fingers:

DisneyorBust
09-14-2012, 01:14 PM
If it was myself and my family, I would vote YES! Buy the MVMCP tickets ahead of time and surprise your daughters! I can imagine the looks on their faces. Hope that you are able to make it work..

RavsRuleDisney!
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Agreed. If I'm almost there - I am there! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
10-19-2012, 08:09 AM
We are still in a holding pattern on this and it is killing me! Hoping to hear whether we'll be going down by the first of next month. We would be looking at buying tickets for the party either on the 25th, 27th or 29th depending on how things shake out. I'm really hoping these aren't nights that are likely to sell out.

arbie_c
10-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I vote go. I'll take any Disney fix that I can get.

magicofdisney
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
We're FL residents with tickets that have blackout dates (most of summer and 2wks at Christmas). One Christmas, we drove down and simply rode the monorail and visited the deluxe resorts just to get our fix. At least you'll make it into the park. :mickey: It was a little tougher than I thought taking the monorail through Epcot and not being able to go in to the park.