PDA

View Full Version : So excited...

Dsnygirl
09-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Wow, this is my first post in the WC in a l-o-n-g time!! But I just had to share...

Quick background - I play the violin, but stopped when I was about 18. Hadn't picked it up in 15 yrs. My bff asked me last Nov/Dec to be in an Irish band she and her fiance were starting... they needed a fiddle player... and she was convinced I could do it. :crazy: Short version? I did! We started practicing in January, played for her wedding in June but haven't pursued any serious gigs b/c we wanted to get a "demo CD" done for local Irish bars and really have our sound "together" first. Between our electric harpist being out of town for 6 different weddings, our guitarist being out of town twice for a month and other various schedule glitches, we just thought it best to wait.

All that to say -- I'm playing in our city's Irish Fest this wknd!! Yes, just found out -- and yes, it's for Sat night -- :faint: -- and no, it's not our whole band, as our harpist is out of town... but I'm still really excited, it's a big Fest and should be so fun! :D (Just discovered we need a "fiddle player" smilie... ;) )

AgentC
09-05-2012, 09:52 AM
What a great opportunity. Have a fantastic time. :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
That's awesome Blythe! I have plans already this weekend or I'd come up and see you. Let me know when you have other gigs though!!! Hope everything goes well!

Disneymom4ever
09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow, that is wonderful news! I love Irish music, how fun for you! Good luck, and have a great weekend! :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Good luck! How fun!

January-2007
09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Very cool, good luck to you, I'm sure you will all be great!

Dsnygirl
09-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys! I'm honestly pretty nervous... I haven't played "out" really since I was 18 (26 yrs ago...), just once for my bff's wedding, the one I mentioned in June, and we only did recessional music, their first dance and another song.

We practiced today and created our "set list" - 15 songs!! :eyes: Needless to say, my fiddle and I are becoming very closely acquainted over the next few days... :blush:

princessgirls
09-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Awesome Blythe!!!

Enjoy every minute once you get past the first few seconds of nerves! You are going to rock the house!!!

Julie:mickey:

TikiGoddess
09-08-2012, 02:27 PM
How wonderful! Hope you had/have an amazing time. I wish I was working with a group right now... last year I was in a trio singing some Irish stuff, acapella, folk, etc. but unfortunately it didn't last. But my husband is now in an 80's cover band and is loving it, so I'll watch the kids while he goes out and plays. It's his turn. ;)

Kathy

faline
09-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Sounds like lots of fun!! Enjoy!!

Dsnygirl
09-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the additional comments!! Tonight's the night... crazy t'storm weather here, so we'll see what happens by 9pm!!

Also realized in my first post I mentioned I hadn't played in 15 yrs... I wish that was all it had been!! Actually, it was 25 years... minor typo there... ;) ... wouldn't mind being 10yrs younger, though!! :D