PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Yeti, what happened to the Bird?

darthmacho
09-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Well, our 14-day Dream Trip is now over (I'm working on the trip reports and reviews, rest assured), and I just wanted to make an observation about Expedition Everest.

Well, there has been a LOT of discussion about the Yeti being down, and I've heard there has even been a song written about it. Nevertheless, though the Yeti is not living up to his full potential, he still reaches menacingly in a light-flashing disco pose as your train flies by.

Well at least the Yeti is still there, unlike that bird (what was it, an eagle, a condor, or what?) that used to fly up over the peak of the mountain and screech just before you plunged backwards upon the rail. We rode Everest four times over two days, and each time I heard the screech, but saw no sign of the bird!

Forget the Yeti, the bird is down! Someone had better start 'splainin'!!!! :mad:

faline
09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I had noticed this as well.

azcavalier
09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I have ridden EE many, many times, and have never seen a bird. I had no idea this was ever there.

Gator
09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I remember seeing it on our first ride on ExEv back in 2006. But you're right, I haven't seen it since. I guess it wasn't that important to the experience for me.

Melanie
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
This is new to me too. :confused:

darthmacho
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw it on our 2010 trip too. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Heh? I never remember a bird.....and I have ridden in the very front seat.....:confused:

darthmacho
09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I just confirmed it by watching a POV video on Youtube. The bird crested the peak and screeched just before you pause at the torn up section of the track and then plunge backwards...

Going to check later videos now...

DVC2004
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I have not seen the bird up there for a few trips now. It screeches, but does not fly out. :(

barnaby
09-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Just getting back too, I said the same thing after our second time on EE.

It was there on trip in August 2010.

SBETigg
09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow, you're back! Can't wait for the reports. I hope it was everything you hoped and more. But yeah, what happened to the bird?

MrPeetrie
09-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I have ridden this several times and this is the first I am hearing of a bird. I don't remember ever seeing one. I will have to check YouTube to see it.

Thanks for the heads-up! :number1:

LudwigVonDrake
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I only saw the bird during my July 2011 trip. Never saw him before and haven't seen him since :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I have never seen (or heard) a bird in all the times I've ridden Everest. Perhaps it could have been a seagull disgruntled by the constant trains travelling to the top of its nesting area? ;)

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry, I just watched numerous you tube videos of the ride at that point and did not see a bird in any of them. :confused:

faline
09-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Sorry, I just watched numerous you tube videos of the ride at that point and did not see a bird in any of them. :confused:

I just googled Expedition Everest Video and saw the bird on the very first one I watched; and it was a you tube video as well.

mgmnut
09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Where is this bird? If sitting on the train stopped at the top of the broken track where do you look, left, right, straight? I checked out You tube videos and can not see it either.

DizneyFreak2002
09-04-2012, 07:07 PM
The bird was a bad piece of engineering and was always breaking.. So instead of trying to find a fix, they just shut it off... Not that the bird made any sense to the story anyway...

But, never mind the bird... What about the bamboo thicket that has been removed from the area where your train departs??? it is all gone... You can now see the train barn as clear as day... The bamboo used to block it... Well, not any more... Yet more bad show...

(BTW, the bamboo was removed at Kali too just not sure how much of the backstage area has been revealed)...

faline
09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Where is this bird? If sitting on the train stopped at the top of the broken track where do you look, left, right, straight? I checked out You tube videos and can not see it either.

When the train stops at the top of the broken tracks, the bird would come out from behind the mountain at the top and to the left.

The bird's appearance is pretty quick so it's possible folks are missing it when looking at videos.

paragon
09-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I have seen the bird, but not on our last trip, last September. I seem to remember it being spotty, sometimes on, sometimes off. It was there, at the top of the mountin to the left as others have said, I think its purpose was a slight distraction just before you plummet backwards, as you sat there waiting and wondering what happens next....the bird appears ( or used too ) and screeches, you look up startled, and then plunge backwards.......

mgmnut
09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
But, never mind the bird... What about the bamboo thicket that has been removed from the area where your train departs??? it is all gone... You can now see the train barn as clear as day... The bamboo used to block it... Well, not any more... Yet more bad show...

(BTW, the bamboo was removed at Kali too just not sure how much of the backstage area has been revealed)...

I knew something was missing, I was wondering why I could see all the backstage stuff. I watched the trash truck come scoup and empty the dumpster sitting next to the building while I waited to board my train. I was very surprised you were able to view activity like that.

brownie
09-04-2012, 10:56 PM

It was most definitely there over the 2010 Thanksgiving weekend.

cuteduck223
09-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Oh I KNEW something was missing the last time!! That has to be it...i remember it did really add to the experience..because i remember being almost scared in 2008 (probably with a working bird and yeti?) No wonder on our trip last year my husband was not impressed...

kakn7294
09-05-2012, 02:27 AM
The first time I ever saw that bird was last July. I did not see it this July. Maybe he's on vacation too?

Ed
09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Let's see...

The bird ate all the bamboo.

This angered Yeti, so he ate the bird.

The bamboo-stuffed bird gave Yeti a terrible case of heartburn and he's been unable to work as a result.

Case closed. :judge:

SBETigg
09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I just realized you may have provided material for the sequel to the Ballad of the Yeti. Oh no!

DisneyFr33k
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I have ridden EE many, many times, and have never seen a bird. I had no idea this was ever there.

:ditto:

DizneyRox
09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
SOP for WDW - If it's broke, don't fix it!

It's nice to see people are starting to notice this stuff. The Yeti, the bird and the bamboo are not the only things missing. Everest is a shadow of it's original billing.

Did they ever paint the back of the mountain with "Go Away Gray" to hide it from guest view?

Everest might actually be one of the best examples of bad show at WDW!

#1donaldfan
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I LOVE INTERCOT !!

I have been on EE tons and tons of times, was there the month after it opened, have ridden up front, middle and back....been the first riders of the day, up front and have not ONE time seen that bird ?!! You learn something new on Intercot every day it seems !!! ( at least I did see the Yeti in A mode a couple of times !!):cool:

#1donaldfan
09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
The first time I ever saw that bird was last July. I did not see it this July. Maybe he's on vacation too?

Is the bird a migratory one ?? maybe he flew further south, north or wherever they go when they go ??:thumbsup:

brownie
09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
I LOVE INTERCOT !!

I have been on EE tons and tons of times, was there the month after it opened, have ridden up front, middle and back....been the first riders of the day, up front and have not ONE time seen that bird ?!! You learn something new on Intercot every day it seems !!! ( at least I did see the Yeti in A mode a couple of times !!):cool:

I was just thinking that maybe where you were on the train impacted whether you saw it or not, but that must not be the case based on your experience. When I rode in the front I saw the bird, but not when I rode in the back.

Ed
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
It's all an elaborate conspiracy concocted by :thedolls: :thedolls:

joonyer
09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Saw the bird on every ride in the fall of 2006. Haven't seen it since.

Wolf
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
I remember that bird!!! I'll have to watch for him in 23 days *Dances*

MrPeetrie
09-05-2012, 05:03 PM
I watched a YouTube video with FULL EFFECTS! There used to be mist once the train reached the mountain's top. (Disney stopped that because it was interfering with the sensors.) You were able to see the bird once the train stopped, as well as hear it. And the visual of the Yeti was INCREDIBLE. He was well lit and in attack mode!

Now, it's so dimly lit, I guess in an attempt to mask it's lack of movement, that you can barely see it. What a shame!

darthmacho
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
The bird was a bad piece of engineering and was always breaking.. So instead of trying to find a fix, they just shut it off... Not that the bird made any sense to the story anyway...

I was wondering why I could see that area too. Maybe they're harvesting all the bamboo for the pandas? Oh, wait...

Seriously though, seeing that area does detract from the story. Everest sure does have a lot of issues for what is considered an otherwise great ride.

MrPeetrie
09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Seriously though, seeing that area does detract from the story. Everest sure does have a lot of issues for what is considered an otherwise great ride.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Expedition: Everest is just an OK ride bundled with an amazing queue. As a rollercoaster ride, it's pretty dull. It is the queue and effects that elevated the attraction. You take those away, and the ride itself offers very little.

TinkerbellT421
09-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Now that I think of it, I probably missed it because 9 times out of ten I am riding that ride with my eyes closed, clenching my teeth and holding my breath just waiting for it to be over! :blush:

jnfr2424
09-06-2012, 10:43 AM
I only saw the bird during my July 2011 trip. Never saw him before and haven't seen him since :mickey:

Now if you saw the bird in July - it had to disappear by October because it was gone when we were there October 2011

darthmacho
09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Expedition: Everest is just an OK ride bundled with an amazing queue. As a rollercoaster ride, it's pretty dull. It is the queue and effects that elevated the attraction. You take those away, and the ride itself offers very little.

Well, despite its failures, it's doing something right, because my kids would have ridden it all day if we could have. As it was, it ended up being one of our "repeat" rides this past trip. We even made a special trip over to Asia to ride it one more time, even though I planned on staying in Africa that day. I agree that the queue area is one of the highlights, and the yeti effects had such promise for making this a special ride. I still like it too, however, but I'd rank it behind the Safari and Dinosaur for my favorite AK rides. :mickey:

KAJUNKING
09-06-2012, 03:11 PM
i have never seen this bird, although i think i do remember the sound

MrPeetrie
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, despite its failures, it's doing something right, because my kids would have ridden it all day if we could have. As it was, it ended up being one of our "repeat" rides this past trip. We even made a special trip over to Asia to ride it one more time, even though I planned on staying in Africa that day. I agree that the queue area is one of the highlights, and the yeti effects had such promise for making this a special ride. I still like it too, however, but I'd rank it behind the Safari and Dinosaur for my favorite AK rides. :mickey:

Darthmacho, my daughter loved it, too. And we had to ride it repeatedly. (And we'll probably ride it repeatedly this trip, too.) But I'm a coaster lover and as far as coasters go, the coaster portion leaves me empty. But thankfully I don't go to Disney for coasters. I go for the the whole Disney experience. I"m happy there just seeing shows and riding dark rides and watching parades and watching my kids' eyes light up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is without the great effects working, Expedition: Everest is just a coaster in a mountain facade with a great queue. And as coasters go, this one is average at best. I still like it and I'll still ride it, but I'm not blown away.