PDA

View Full Version : What brand Refrigerator/freezer?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm very much afraid that I'm going to need to buy a new refrigerator/freezer. I've read the on line reviews and it seems like one person loves it and another hates it (same refrig). I want one that's under $1000. And suggestions? The buy at Best Buy said that Samsung was the best they had to offer but it didn't get the best reviews. Help?

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2012, 12:13 AM
We bought a Samsung over 4 years ago when we bought our house. We bought the one with french doors at the top and the freezer at the bottom. I don't remember what we paid, but it's a great refrigertor/freezer. We've had no problems with it at all. Completely satisfied.

I think we purchased ours at either Home Depot or Lowes. I found the prices at those two stores to be much better than Best Buy, not only for the fridge, but for other things we've purchased over the years. We had what I consider a pretty major issue with a purchase at Best Buy a few years ago, and now we try not to make any major purchases there.

disneydeb
09-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I bought a Bosch last summer during my kitchen remodel. I am not happy.

micky95
09-03-2012, 07:22 AM
we had a side by side my dw hated !!no storage room .it finely died about 2 months ago .we bought a Haier at hh gregg.i know the co. but didnt know they made ref.it has the freezer on top and plenty of storage.since its on the 2 of us no special features on this one, had to install a ice maker and reverse the doors but my dw loves it.it was under 400.00.:mickey:

DizneyRox
09-03-2012, 09:27 AM
We got an LG and really like it. They make pretty good appliances... Went with the french doors up top, and a freezer drawer at the bottom and no complaints. The freezer area is a little smaller than I'd like, but that's why you get a larger chest style freezer.

I would also avoid Worst Buy like the plague. An appliance like a fridge MAY need service and WorstBuy is not a service oriented company. Go to your local mom and pop appliance store, you would probably be surprised at the competitive prices. Maybe not rock bottom, but I don't mind paying a little more for service with a smile. Some of them will even price match the big stores, just ask.

I haven't been to a WorstBuy in years and I'm counting the days until they declare bankrupcy. It's coming...

disneymom15
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
We had a side by side also and didn't like the freezer storage. When we decided to replace it, we went with a Samsung French door with freezer on the bottom. We're quite happy with it. We got ours from Lowes on their credit card. 18 months 0%, just make sure you have it paid in full before the 18 months time frame.

AZ Disney
09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
We just purchased Frigidaire french door type from Lowe's. They had an additional 10% off + an additional 10% off for military + free delivery. I will never go back to the double door, but the price point for the french door is a bit higher.

stephicakes
09-04-2012, 01:23 PM
We built a house just over a year ago and went with a Samsung as well. We love it. French doors on top and freezer on the bottom with a drink drawer (or cake drawer) in the middle. My DH LOVES the drink drawer - he makes sure his beer always looks pretty :D

We bought all our appliances at Sears. We earn points ($) with every purchase that we can use toward our next one. They match all competitor prices and did so for the 2 months following our purchase. We have never regretted a purchase through them. Of course, we waited for a great sale and requested Sears gift cards from family for Christmas & birthdays which helped a ton. We avoid Best Buy like a plague as well :ack:

Good luck on your purchase!
:cart:

DVC2004
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
We got an LG side by side a few years ago and it has the bottom drawer freezer. It is great! And we buy tons of frozen food, too. We don't have the water line built in for an ice maker or water dispenser, and it was hard to find one in stainless without- but LG had one and I think it was under $1000. Probably right under. If you don't need or want the water/ice maker thingy you can probably get a very nice fridge in your budget. Sometimes they don't have them on display in the store but if you ask they usually have an option they can order for you.

Janmac
09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I have a Maytag, from Lowes, with the freezer on the bottom but not the french doors on the top - just one door. I wanted the french door model but the space for the fridge required the smaller, one door type. Paid less than $1000 but I'm not remembering what. Maybe about $800.

That said, the thing is huge. Feels like a food closet (or wardrobe :D ) rather than a fridge.

I think we've had it at least 6 years and been happy with it. Can't say the same for the Whirlpool microwave :mad:.

Bottom freezer has the auto ice maker on the top shelf along with more shelf room. Bottom drawer is very generous, plenty of room beside the large bucket of chocolate ice cream.

Jan

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
I bought a Bosch last summer during my kitchen remodel. I am not happy.
They don't make their fridges- if it says Bosch and is a fridge - French doors - made in Korea
Freezer on top made in Turkey - both are rebranded for Bosch.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Whirlpool Gold line is the most reliable and highest rated fridge made. I have one that's close to 8 yrs old now and have not had a bit of trouble.

Hubby has worked as an engineer in appliance manufacturing for over 17 yrs.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone. I actually ended up going with a GE that got great reviews. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but the one I wanted isn't in stock. I went with BB because it had 18 months interest free, 5% back and free pick up and delivery. I also got the 4 year service plan. It wil be delivered in a few days. The existing one goes from 10 degrees to 60 degrees. The frig part was still working but that started warming up on Friday. It's gonna be a long few days, but that was the soonest I would be able to be home for the delivery.

And trust me, if I need service I will get service. If there was one thing my father taught me, if you have a problem go all the way to the top brass!

For example, when my sister was having problems with her food stamps (single mother with 2 kids, 1 with life threatening illness-dad walked out) I just emailed the governor of the state and explained how she was getting the run around. This was after she spent about 3 months trying to get approved. This was on a Tuesday and by Saturday she was all set. So lesson learned? Don't mess with the little people that can't help you-go right to the top!

A Big Kid
09-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I actually ended up going with a GE that got great reviews. It was a little more than I wanted to pay but the one I wanted isn't in stock.
top!

I wouldn't give GE a penny. They were actively engaged in commerce with Iran against sanctions while Iran was busy killing our troop.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that.....

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-07-2012, 06:53 PM
So I had my refrig less than 3 weeks and noticed the water/ice dispenser leaking. Called and was told that because it was less than 30 days old, GE comes out to fix it, not Geek Squad. But there are no service centers in my area. They'll call me back within 4 hours. I waited 8 hours and then called them, only to find out the ticket hadn't even been submitted. This was at 930pm. To say I wasn't happy was an understatement! But I didn't take it out on the person that answered the phone, just reiterated that I was off on Friday, and this was Wednesday night and that I wanted someone there that day. I was going to wait until noon the next day to call again. Best Buy called me at 10am so I was happy about that. They told me that a service person would be there between 8am and noon. The service person called at 9am and said he'd be there in a half hour and he was.
I told him that I noticed that there was also condensation between the fridge and freezer doors. He spent about 30 minutes looking at it and then told me that I need a whole new refrigerator because this one is missing something in the side of the unit. So now I have to wait to hear back from them, they said within 3 days. To me, that means 3 days, not 3 business days. That will be tomorrow. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

At least the good thing is that the unit is still working and I haven't had to throw out all my food again.

I'm really hoping this isn't an omen. Especially since I thought we had ordered a white unit and they unloaded a stainless steel one! Not a big deal but still! I needed one ASAP so it's not like I could send it back.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

disneydeb
10-07-2012, 10:55 PM
This Bosch is a side by side. :(

Aditya8100
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
We have LG,bought 2 years ago.Work very well.The most important thing is its quality.Good quality wise as well as prices.

TrueGangstar
10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Recently I bought Whirlpool 2 door refrigerator which is really good and energy saving one. I prefer Whirlpool to every family.