PDA

View Full Version : Front of the monorail.

missastrocat
09-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I was talking to my dh about the monorail. Is it still possible to ride in the front with the monorail pilot/driver?

I rode in the front in 1998 but could not remember if this is still possible.

09-02-2012, 03:39 PM
No.

Zawadi
09-02-2012, 03:41 PM
SInce the July 2009 accident on the Monorail, when a CM lost his life, riding with the pilot is no longer permitted.

Mousemates
09-02-2012, 03:52 PM
sadly as others have said the answer is no...we have lots of super memories riding up front, for once we found out it was a possibility we tried to do once each trip...one great memory was seeing the finale of wishes from the pilot car.

missastrocat
09-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh my. Okay. :sad:

I want to go around with my dh so he can hear the entire monorail spiel. Think we will do it before our anniversary dinner at Narcoossee's.

John
09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
You can watch what it was like on our YouTube channel - I have posted 2 videos of up-front rides :)

http://youtube.com/intercot

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
It was fun to ride up front and get your pilots license too. But I can understand why Disney wants to be extremely cautious now.

Gator
09-03-2012, 12:16 PM
It's an OSHA thing. There had to be a plan of correction after the accident, and keeping guest out of the front was one of their concessions. A real bummer. One of my top 5 favorite memories of WDW was riding in the front heading into Epcot. Just amazing.

joonyer
09-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I got to ride up front many years ago when I was 15. It was truly cool! I can still remember it. wished I had taken my kids up front when we still had the chance.

Main Street Jim
09-03-2012, 05:36 PM
In about 2002, me and my three kids were riding on Monorail Blue on the EPCOT loop, headed down to EPCOT. My son noticed a scratch/ding in the front windshield, so he asks the pilot, "What happened to the window?"

Without missing a beat, the pilot replied, "Hit a deer."

Think about it, people...think about it...LOLOLOL

Quadstriker
09-03-2012, 05:51 PM
You can watch what it was like on our YouTube channel - I have posted 2 videos of up-front rides :)

http://youtube.com/intercot

Nice vid. Subscribed.

Disneymom4ever
09-04-2012, 07:11 AM
In about 2002, me and my three kids were riding on Monorail Blue on the EPCOT loop, headed down to EPCOT. My son noticed a scratch/ding in the front windshield, so he asks the pilot, "What happened to the window?"

Now that's funny! :mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
09-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Not allowing guests to ride up front is such an over-reaction. One incident (which had nothing to do with guests) in decades of service doesn't warrant this change in Monorail safety. Mission: Space has killed twice as many people as the front of the Monorail has, and has sent HUNDREDS per year to paramedics, yet they still let you take the chance of killing yourself on Mission: Space Orange.

Just my :twocents:.

Tigerinvestigator
09-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Riding up front was good, but the best part was beating everyone else to the castmember and asking to ride up front! It was all about asking first and then watching everyone else come up too late! LOL

As kids my brother and I would fight to be the first one up the ramp to ask.:thumbsup:

figgie
09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Still have my monorail pilot's license in my wallet! The young man who lost his life was a college student at Stetson University in my home town, it was very sad...

joanna71985
09-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Not allowing guests to ride up front is such an over-reaction. One incident (which had nothing to do with guests) in decades of service doesn't warrant this change in Monorail safety. Mission: Space has killed twice as many people as the front of the Monorail has, and has sent HUNDREDS per year to paramedics, yet they still let you take the chance of killing yourself on Mission: Space Orange.

I don't think it's an over-reaction.

As for Mission Space, that has to do with people not knowing their medical history (which is why they died on the ride).

MickeysBestPal
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM

The reason is in the design of the monorail bodies.

The pilot cabins (with their huge domed windshields) offer no reinforced protection for those inside in case
of a contact accident.

The guest cabins are far more rigidly constructed and are separated from the leading/trailing ends of the train.

Monorail_Red
02-23-2013, 06:29 PM

I almost had an owl fly through the windscreen one time when I was driving the Express exit!

It's an OSHA thing. There had to be a plan of correction after the accident, and keeping guest out of the front was one of their concessions. A real bummer. One of my top 5 favorite memories of WDW was riding in the front heading into Epcot. Just amazing.

Guests in the front played no role in what went down in July of 2009. It was considered too much of a distraction, and like was said above it was one of the changes that came about after the fact. During my training, I had to demonstrate that I was able to open the roof hatch in the cab and set the escape ladder up. It was hard enough trying to do it around my trainer, couldn't imagine doing that with 4 guests up front.

The reason is in the design of the monorail bodies.

The design of the bodies played no role here.

tiggerbuddy
02-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Must have been one of Santa's...:)

tiggerbuddy
02-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Without missing a beat, the pilot replied, "Hit a deer."...Must have been one of Santa's :)

ANG
02-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Wow I wasn't even aware you were previously allowed to do this!

joanna71985
02-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Wow I wasn't even aware you were previously allowed to do this!

Oh yeah, for quite awhile. It was a lot of fun