PDA

View Full Version : Church at Disney

mdhiggin
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Our family booked a trip today for BWV tomorrow. What luck at this late date! We are planning to go to church on Sunday. Have any of you been? How far is a church from Disney? We are Baptists, by the way.

Strmchsr
08-31-2012, 07:43 AM
I think the closest Baptist church is Lake Buena Vista Baptist Church. I've heard good things about that one. I usually go to St Luke's United Methodist Church because several cast member friends attend there.

7165red
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM
If you are looking for a catholic church there is Mary Queen of the Universe. It's a shrine and really beautiful. They have a web page for detailed info.

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2012, 01:25 PM
If you are looking for a catholic church there is Mary Queen of the Universe. It's a shrine and really beautiful. They have a web page for detailed info.

That is where we go to church when in Disney.

Last Christmas Disney help a Catholic mass ( I think they did a Baptist mass also) in one of the ballrooms at the Contemporary. I really wish they could do this weekly. It was super convenient.

Gator
09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
We went to the Assembly of God in Kissimme on our honeymoon. It was a nice medium sized church with some good music.

CosmicRay
09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
WDW used to have an actual non-denominational church service on property years ago. DH and I always thought that would be a fun/interesting pastoral job.

I don't know if it's allowed, but if you wanted to read more information on the on-site church from the past, here's an article about it:
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2002/12/16/story1.html?page=all

Strmchsr
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
WDW used to have an actual non-denominational church service on property years ago. DH and I always thought that would be a fun/interesting pastoral job.

I have 2 friends down there now planting churches specifically for cast members and Disney lovers. Both of them work as Cast Members while they are planting their churches. It's a neat situation. But, the service on-property doesn't occur anymore.

CosmicRay
09-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I have 2 friends down there now planting churches specifically for cast members and Disney lovers.

That's interesting! I would love to know more!

DizHawk
09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I am also intrigued.

mdhiggin
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Please let us know about this new church. I couldn't find an in service phone number for First Baptist of Lake Buena Vista, and the next closest seemed a little far.

Strmchsr
09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
You can look up on Facebook - The Adventure (Walt Disney World) which was founded by my buddy Steven Barr. His wife is a CM at Epcot. The other option is Mosaic @ Walt Disney World. You can Google them for their website. One of their lead pastors, Jon Langford, is a CM at the hat shop on Main St USA and is a facilitator for Disney University. The Adventure is doing Bible studies and a lot of ministry among the CMs, but Mosaic has weekly worship services. You can get more info on their sites.

And if you really like church and Walt Disney World, click on the amazon.com link under ICOT Affiliates to your left there and pick up a copy of my book - The Church Mouse: Leadership Lessons From the Magic Kingdom.

Aurora
09-06-2012, 05:13 PM

I don't know if it's allowed, but if you wanted to read more information on the on-site church from the past, here's an article about it:
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2002/12/16/story1.html?page=all

There were two Catholic Masses and a Christian service (originally Lutheran, I believe) on Sundays at the Luau Cove at the Polynesian. The ministers weren't onsite -- they came from nearby parishes.

They were actually beautiful services and we miss them. We also attended Mass at the Contemporary after the Poly services were discontinued, and at St. James Catholic Cathedral. We like the Mass at Mary, Queen of the Universe. The grounds are very peaceful and it's close by.

To the OP's question, did you ask at the Boardwalk? Guest services usually has a list of nearby worship venues they can give you.

mdhiggin
09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
The one I spoke with didn't know anything about it. They found First Baptist of Windermere, but we didn't want to go that far.