PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Diet

DVC2004
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Any Atkins/low carber's out there? I have been looking into this and wondered if anyone has done it and how it is. What's prompting this is that I really need to lose some weight. Not alot, but 15 pounds would really put me at an ideal weight. I've tried a few things and nothing seems to work. I do exercise 3-5 times a week on an eliptical for 30-45 minutes depending. Nothing seems to make a difference. I might go up a few pounds or down, but I can't seem to make any real progress. It seems harder now as I get older, too. I feel like any time I indulge I show it. Also I am very petite so a weight gain of only a few pounds is very noticeable on me. My husband can sit down and eat a bg of chips, then have pizza and beer for dinner. He never gains.

I am not a dieter per say, I try to eat smaller portions and avoid fried foods. I did do Jenny Craig a few years back and I lost a good 10 pounds and kept it off for a while, but it was expensive (the food) and eventually I went back to my old ways.

I know atkins is controversial. However I know I eat way too many carbs. Has anyone done it- what did you think? Could you keep it off and maintain?

Lindsey310
08-27-2012, 05:08 PM
I worked with a trainer last year in prep for my wedding which was July 2011. He said avoid Atkins at all costs!!! It's not healthy to cut out whole food groups especially if you are working out like you are. He put me on a low cal diet and I lost 20 pounds. I have kept it off and actually just started losing more. Try to eat a balanced low calorie diet with exercise and you should see results. You have to stick with it. :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Low Carb, Low Calorie....is all good. But the NO Carb of Atkins isn't.

You should do strength AND the aerobic of the elliptical - alternate between the two. Don't do diet sodas. The sweetener is horrible. If you need sweetened drinks - drink teas sweetened with Honey, Agave Nectar, Stevia, Pure Cane Sugar.....anything but the chemical sweeteners of Nutrasweet, Sacchrine, and Splenda.

Jeri Lynn
08-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Look into South Beach Diet. It is a low carb (good carb) diet, you are allowed some fruits. Low fat vs high fat proteins are suggested. Atkins is too rigid.

GrumpySue
08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree that South Beach is a great healthy low-carb diet. You eliminate all carbs for the first few weeks, then introduce healthy whole grain carbs. I find I am never hungry and lose weight easily when I stick to this plan, and I feel a whole lot better. After a few months I lost all interest in sugary or high carb foods, they really make me sick now.

FriendsofMickey
08-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I am going to be in the minority here. However, I think Atkins, done as he intended is a good diet. The key though is to read his book and follow what he suggests.
The first two weeks, you eat very, very low carb (20 carbs a day). No breads, no pasta, no fruit, etc....
Then after that, he suggests that you start adding carbs back 5 carbs every two weeks (I believe it is). You add back the carbs until you notice a stop in your weight loss. This is called your critical carb count. You back it back by the 5 carbs and you lose weight.

Now when you add back carbs, he suggest a certain order, ones that are low in glycemic value. These are the ones that are less likely to cause cravings. Good ones, such as blue berries, strawberries, etc....

The problem with Atkins is that there are so very many that abuse what he said. There is no where in the book that suggests you eat bacon or pig rinds every day with a glass of cream. However, there are those that choose to do it. They lose weight and they call it Atkins, but it is NOT Atkins.

I think if you are willing to read his book, and follow the diet as he intended it, it is a great way to lose weight and keep it off.

That said,I did it years ago, but I did not follow his plan. I never found my critical carb count, I never went much off of the two week induction. I lost a lot of weight, but I did not do it correctly and I gained back the weight, because I got bored with the lack of food variety. But it was ALL MY FAULT! Not his.

The kicker is while on it my health was much, much better. I suffer from Fibromyalgia, I have pains throughout my body, weekness in my muscles and severe headaches. While on it, I felt 100% better. When I went off, within about a month, I started getting my symptoms back, my dh is the one who noticed that I wet from never complaining, back to complaining about the aches.

Anyway, that is my thoughts for what they are worth (not a professional just an opinion. )

That said, I also think South Beach is a great diet. SB is easier to follow because he allows the whole wheats to be added back into the diet from third week (slowly though).

Whichever you choose, the key is to make it a way of life and not a diet. Otherwise, you will gain it back.
Good luck.

TheVBs
08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I think your best bet is to educate yourself more about food and how what you're eating is affecting you so that you can make informed choices about what to add, substitute, reduce or remove. Diet plans don't usually promote long term lifestyle changes, long term weight loss or a positive, healthy attitude toward food choices. You don't want a quick fix to drop 10lbs. You want to learn how to keep it off for good. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
08-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Atkins will drop weight like nobody's business! It's a very good quick hit type diet.

Here's the problem, nobody seems to get the rest of the program which is to find the threshold of where you can maintain your weight and how many carbs you can do that with. You aren't supposed to eliminate carbs forever.

It's not about eliminating carbs all together, it's about finding the right mix. The initial weightloss phase though is tough to beat in terms of the ability to drop significant weight in record time.

I was able to drop about 30 lbs in about 3 weeks. I warn you it might sound great to be able to have all the cheese, meat, bacon, etc that you want, but it's tougher than you think to put up with that for a significant length of time.

South Beach is very similar, but won't drop weight as fast.

Portion control is the best 'diet' out there. Takes forever though...

Diet plans don't usually promote long term lifestyle changes, long term weight loss or a positive, healthy attitude toward food choices. You don't want a quick fix to drop 10lbs. You want to learn how to keep it off for good. :thumbsup:

That is exactly what the Atkins Diet is. As mentioned though, most people don't (or can't) get past the no carb phase. It's not really a 'diet' as everyone thinks of one, it IS a lifestyle change. Without that long term shift in eating, the weight WILL come back.

BTW - Cardio isn't the best way of dropping pounds. Weight training is much better. Besides immediate calorie burns, muscles continue to burn calories even at rest.

laprana
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
I haven't personally done Atkins before, but I have watched my mom do it (more than once) and it didn't end very well. She started off great and lost a lot of weight quickly, but as soon as she started to add carbs back in, she gained it all back just as quickly. She also always complained of not feeling well and having stomach issues while on Atkins. She recently started weight watchers and has done really well with it. The weight loss has been a lot slower (but that's probably a good thing, health-wise) but she has been losing steadily. WW seems like it promotes more of a healthy, balanced, low-fat diet, which seems like a much more sensible way to lose weight to me! Good luck with whatever you choose!! :thumbsup:

NewDVCowner
08-28-2012, 12:59 PM
I haven't personally done Atkins before, but I have watched my mom do it (more than once) and it didn't end very well. She started off great and lost a lot of weight quickly, but as soon as she started to add carbs back in, she gained it all back just as quickly. She also always complained of not feeling well and having stomach issues while on Atkins. She recently started weight watchers and has done really well with it. The weight loss has been a lot slower (but that's probably a good thing, health-wise) but she has been losing steadily. WW seems like it promotes more of a healthy, balanced, low-fat diet, which seems like a much more sensible way to lose weight to me! Good luck with whatever you choose!! :thumbsup:

I started Weight Watchers in the middle of June and as of yesterday have dropped 23 pounds. :D It very much is a lifestyle change. You teach yourself how to eat again. The thing that surprises me about WW (and this may be just me) but it doesn't seem HARD. I pay attention to what I'm eating, I'm certainly eating more fruits and vegetables and I'm being careful about portion size, which I think has been my biggest problem in the past. I've tried other diets before but this one really feels like it's something I can follow long term.

laprana
08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I started Weight Watchers in the middle of June and as of yesterday have dropped 23 pounds. :D It very much is a lifestyle change. You teach yourself how to eat again. The thing that surprises me about WW (and this may be just me) but it doesn't seem HARD. I pay attention to what I'm eating, I'm certainly eating more fruits and vegetables and I'm being careful about portion size, which I think has been my biggest problem in the past. I've tried other diets before but this one really feels like it's something I can follow long term.

My mom has said the same thing about WW - that it doesn't feel like she's on a diet, just that she's eating healthier, if that makes sense. She's making better choices and controling her portions by following WW, but she still gets to eat food that she likes, including her biggest weakness, ice cream! :D The thing that sold her on WW was that she could eat all the fruit she wanted and most vegetables (starchy things like potatoes and avocado are more limited). She had a really hard time on Atkins because she wasn't able to eat fruits and veggies. I've been kind of following her lead and making healthier choices and I've lost a little weight myself without actually "doing" WW! :blush: You're exactly right - it's all about re-learning how to eat!

ElenitaB
08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I did Atkins and ended up in the hospital with very painful gall bladder issues. Thank goodness it didn't need to be removed, but I won't forget that pain ever.

The best thing you can do is to eat for your health. What does that mean? Lean meats not raised in a factory-farm, whole grains, legumes, the foods that are the source of oils (but not oils themselves), a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables ("eat the rainbow"). If you put your health first, the weight will naturally come off.

When you put your health first, you really change the way you think about food. I spent the first weeks of June looking at everything around me and questioning my every food choice, and asking myself a very basic question: "Will this food nourish my cells with what they need to thrive?" It's working because I'm down 35 pounds.

Tink#64
08-29-2012, 01:04 AM
First I have to say that I'm not a fan of diets per se! I'm a fan of good nutrition because you know that's what's best for your maintaining your body! I don't believe in deprivation - but instead moderation! If I tell myself I can't have someting - guess what? The only thing that I that I want is what I can't have! Have you checked into "My Fitness Pal" or "Spark People"! Both are free sites where you can log your food & exercise diary, get support & great ideas! I've just disovered "Skinnytaste.com" & wow - just some yummy recipes! I battle ok - I see evey female on my mother's side overweight & I watch everything I eat and I excerise regularly and I'm still not happy with where I am - weight or committment wise! It's hard! I fall off the wagon & then jump back on! I get bored with work outs easily - but the best yet for me is P90X - because it's a different workout everyday! And an entire nutrition guide to go with! It's tough - every day! But we do it because we want to feel good & be the best that we can be!

DVC2004
08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like the healthier thing to do will be to moderate potions better and eat a little of everything rather than going so low carb that you can't maintain...I have heard before Atkins is good for a quick fix but that it can be very hard to stick with. I really hate to exercise...but I know I have to. My husband and I are trying to buddy up on this together- eating better, exercising - so we can stick with it.

laprana
08-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I've just disovered "Skinnytaste.com" & wow - just some yummy recipes!

:ditto: THIS!! I found this website a few weeks ago and have made several of the recipies. Everything I've tried so far has been amazing, and it's all low-fat and healthy! So far my favorites have been the pesto grilled shrimp, chicken enchilada-stuffed zucchini boats, and chocolate crepes with strawberries! Mmmmmm...so good! :tasty:

DVC2004
08-29-2012, 12:48 PM
:ditto: THIS!! I found this website a few weeks ago and have made several of the recipies. Everything I've tried so far has been amazing, and it's all low-fat and healthy! So far my favorites have been the pesto grilled shrimp, chicken enchilada-stuffed zucchini boats, and chocolate crepes with strawberries! Mmmmmm...so good! :tasty:

Mmmm...carbs!:blush: LOL. All of that sounds really good!

laprana
08-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Mmmm...carbs!:blush: LOL. All of that sounds really good!

Haha! Yeah...didn't think about that! :secret: Although, I think the only thing that was probably carb-heavy was the crepes. The pesto on the shrimp was just olive oil, basil, and parmesan and the enchiladas were just enchilada meat and sauce in scooped out zucchinis, no tortillas or anything. So maybe those were low carb? :blush:

DVC2004
08-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Actually I think most of those are low carb! I bet the strawberries have the most. I'm joking though, I love carbs! That is why I need to lose a few pounds, my love of carbs.

Tink#64
08-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Ok, you all just reminded me that I just read something that I need to investigate further. Has anyone heard of alternating high/low carb days? Chris Powell, the Extreme weight loss coach has this info in his book "Choose to Lose - 7 day Carb Cycle Solution"! I'm on the waiting list for this from the library! That's another great thing about logging your food diary on one of the free sites, you can track your daily intake of calories, fat, carbs, & protein! Carb's are important for your metabolism, but awareness and moderation are key from what I'm reading! I love Chris Powell's shows & I find them very inspiring, so I can't wait to read this book!

TheVBs
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I'll have to check out skinnytaste.com, thanks for the tip!

Are couscous and quinoa good substitutes for pasta?

Renfairwedding
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
I have been dieting since I was six months old (it’s in my baby book) and I think I could write my own diet plan.

Well... Since I found the "My Fitness Pal" app I have really started to drop the pounds. I love the barcode scanner and the ability to put a recipe in and calculate the nutrition information.

In the past I rarely keep track of the food as I should but with the app it’s so easy and it’s always at my fingertips.

I highly recommend it…. And… if you like you can preorder you the “Bill’s” diet plan (Just Kidding) :silly:

Tink#64
08-31-2012, 12:23 AM
VB's - I just LOL'd, :funny: as my 2 best friends keep laughing at me over Quinoa! I've just recently discovered it & I love it! I've been making this quinoa, black bean dish & I think it tastes like something you'd get from a restaurant! It's so tasty, low in fat, high in protein & yummy, yummy, yummy if you like mexican inspired dishes! I found the recipe on Pinterest, if you're interested, just pm me. I've used regular Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) & a blend of Quinoa/rice, name brand, came with a seasoning pack that I didn't use for my recipe, but I've like both! I've been looking into other Quinoa dishes! Quinoa, raw, 1 cup has 222 calories, 4 grams of fat & 8 grams of protein! My recipe only calls for like 2 cups total & makes 4 servings!

A little funny here, I just had to share with both of these friends that I was looking into the menu of the new "Be Our Guest Restaurant" and they have a Quinoa Salad on their menu! :D

I love couscous too, but I've not tried cooking with it yet, but I definitely need to! Upon checking nutrition info, per cup, 176 calories, 0 fat & 6 grams of protein! I need to become very friendly with couscous! :D I'll have to search for some recipes! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
08-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Good to know!! I love couscous! There's a garlic and herb flavored one that I've mixed with veggies as a main and side dish. I would love some quinoa recipes!

We also have a bumper crop of golden egg yellow squash. I've eaten it raw, pan roasted and baked, also mixed into a casserole. If anyone else has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! They do taste a lot like zucchini. I've thought of trying them in zucchini bread. But, you know, carbs.

I've noticed so many people mentioning that they've really dropped pounds using myfitnesspal. I like it a lot, but I cannot say I've dropped any pounds on it. :( I'm trying to lose that last 5-10, have it set for my target weight and I often even overestimate on calories. Mostly I either maintain, or yo-yo back and forth by 5-8 lbs. Any ideas what might be going wrong?

JanetMegan
08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
When you put your health first, you really change the way you think about food. I spent the first weeks of June looking at everything around me and questioning my every food choice, and asking myself a very basic question: "Will this food nourish my cells with what they need to thrive?" It's working because I'm down 35 pounds.

My sweet friend I love this! (Been too long-waving!) I just started working on ME a few weeks ago. I started with some smaller goals first. Jumping into something saying he I need to lose 60 lbs (or more) can be very very discouraging. So I actually wrote out some small goals/steps. Like lose 10 lbs, walk at least 30 mins 5 times a week, limit alcohol etc. The more time I spend actually thinking about what I am eating/drinking the better I do. I also am using the myfitness pal to track and that's important I think. I'm also sending a copy of my weekly food and exercise journal to someone else so I have to be accountable and am less likely to fudge on it. It's slow going buddy...very hard not to get discouraged but I think the more slowly it comes off probably the better.

Tink#64
08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
VB's, I constantly yo-yo with 5 punds! I have for years! If I don't workout regularly & eat EXTREMELY well i hop up to my top weight within a couple of months! Then I start getting stricter with myself about "diet"/nutrition & a regular workout regime/program such as P90X & I can get back to my more ideal weight but it takes me months to get there! And now that I'm 48, the process takes longer & is so much harder! I'm fairly small so just loosing a pound is a real struggle, but I just can't accept that I have to gain weight as I get older & I really don't want to buy all new pants in a bigger size! :thedolls: And I have to say that I truly do feel better when I eat healthy, I hate that - UGG full, heavy feeling after eating a super heavy meal! I also have way fewer aches & pains when I workout regularly! But life isn't perfect, so I do have those times when it just doesn't happen. I wouldn't say that I've lost any weight with MyFitnessPal, but Iike that I'm more aware of what I'm eating with tracking my food! I'll pm you the quinoa recipe that I'm currently loving! :tasty:

I love grilled yellow squash! A little sea salt & pepper, wrap sliced squash in foil & toss on the grill - yum!