PDA

View Full Version : Forwarding Mail after Moving

Mr. Brass Bonanza
08-25-2012, 10:17 PM
A friend of mine moved from Los Angeles to San Diego. Will the post office forward mail addressed to his old address to his new address? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

rjmdds
08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
If he signed up to have the mail forwarded, then yes. The post office will do it for one year from the effective date.

brownie
08-25-2012, 10:57 PM
If he signed up to have the mail forwarded, then yes. The post office will do it for one year from the effective date.

I believe it's 6 months and you have the option to extend it for another 6 months, for a maximum of 1 year.

If mail was forwarded and the forwarding order is expired, the post office will usually return the mail to the sender if a return address was included.

DisneyDog
08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
After the order has expired, the mail will go to where ever it is addressed. Sigh. I am still receiving mail for the previous owners of my house. 8 years later.

Melanie
08-27-2012, 11:49 AM
A quick Google search and a peek at the USPS website will provide you with all the answers you need. :thumbsup:

I've moved many times, and my mail is forwarded for up to a year.

buzznwoodysmom
08-27-2012, 04:58 PM
After the order has expired, the mail will go to where ever it is addressed. Sigh. I am still receiving mail for the previous owners of my house. 8 years later.

I hear ya! We've been in our home for over 4 years and I still get mail for the previous owners. And it's not all just junk mail. I get stuff that appears to be hand written from their family members (same last names), and even what looks to be credit card statements. I've even had, as recenly as about a year ago, their perscription from their pharmacy delivered to my door. I really wish they'd contact "important" people of their move.

My parents purchased our previous home to use as a rental. The house is next door to their home and they only got junk mail of ours for about a year. They definitely don't get our mail now, 4 years later.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-27-2012, 08:42 PM
They forward certain types of mail (1st class being the number one type) for up to a year. Magazines are only for a few months - long enough for the address change to be processed by the company.

We've been in our house for 13 years and get mail from the owner we bought from AND the owner before that.
I just mark the non-junk (like a GRAND jury summons for the previous owner that moved out of state) ADDRESS UNKNOWN and put it back in the mail box. Junk mail - I recycle.