PDA

View Full Version : Great Movie Ride needs some fixin

Crow
08-25-2012, 07:02 PM
noticed a few things while i was on it...the bubbles in Footlight parade scene arent working, nor where they last trip. the public enemy section, used to see a window lite w shadows i think of mickey or someone..no more
the gangster scene, the car w the gangsters in doesnt work anymore...
time to do some work..

VWL Mom
08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
We noticed the missing bubbles and the unlit room this week too. The car with the gangsters was working though. I agree, definitely needs some TLC.

DizneyRox
08-26-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't remember the bubbles working in like 5 or 6 years. Didn't that whole prop move or something? Over the years it has gone down hill, I think the last few years I went on it, nothing even lit up when we went by.

DizneyFreak2002
08-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't remember the bubbles working in like 5 or 6 years. Didn't that whole prop move or something? Over the years it has gone down hill, I think the last few years I went on it, nothing even lit up when we went by.

The whole scene hasn't been working for years... Not only were there bubbles but the prop spun...

texas211
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
I remember reading somewhere they stopped the cake spin part due to expense of maintenance.

So that is gone. The window/shadow scene wasn't working.

The little things/effects that stop working, makes it a bit sad.

CosmicRay
08-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I noticed the bubbles on my last trip too. I hope they have plans to fix it.

Mousemates
08-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I thought my daughter was the only one who noticed...its her favorite ride at the Studios.

Elias1901
08-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah... I agree this attraction needs some much deserved TLC. Take the yeti animation in Expedition: Everest for instance, he hasn't been working in full-force mode for years. It is sad to see these things take a turn for the worst and Disney does nothing about them.

I mean... what would the Imagineers really have to do all day? Could they not just take a look at it and fix it? I doubt they are dreaming up that much new stuff that they can't take a peak at the broken stuff they've made in the past. Eh, I don't know... maybe I am missing something...

joanna71985
08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
noticed a few things while i was on it...the bubbles in Footlight parade scene arent working, nor where they last trip. the public enemy section, used to see a window lite w shadows i think of mickey or someone..no more
the gangster scene, the car w the gangsters in doesnt work anymore...
time to do some work..

*bubbles- has nothing to do with the ride

window projection- should be fixed soon

car- it has its moments. There will be days where it works, and then days where it won't work, and some days where it starts out working (and then stops midway through). I wish that it would work all the time

DizneyRox
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I mean... what would the Imagineers really have to do all day? Could they not just take a look at it and fix it? I doubt they are dreaming up that much new stuff that they can't take a peak at the broken stuff they've made in the past. Eh, I don't know... maybe I am missing something...
I don't believe it's Imagineering that's responsible for maintenance, surely not for GMR. If I recall correctly, WDW would go to Imagineering and ask for a ride. Imagineering creates the ride and delivers it to WDW. After a bit of a warranty period, it's up to WDW to maintain the ride. The problem is, they don't. That's a lay mans explanation, it gets more complicated, office politics, egos, etc all come into play, but I think it's safe to say that 95% of the blame for the state of WDW lies with WDW management. They need to go...

Ian
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I noticed the last time we rode in May that TGMR was in pretty sad shape. It definitely needs a good bit of TLC.

bcrkris
08-26-2012, 11:04 PM
:soapbox::shake:
We were at DW during the week of August 11 - 18 and I noticed certain robots were not working the way I had seen them years ago,

Jungle Cruise - The men climbing the pole and the rhino at the bottom no longer move.

Dinosaur - The larger dinosaur eating the smaller one, is lying on the ground in the dark.

Pirates of the Carribean - the man (Mayor ?) tied with a rope in the wishng well no longer moves up and down, and no longer spits water.

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now, and I'm sure that some of these have had their problems for a while

My 11 year old daughter loved looking at the big dino eating the small one for some reason, and was really disappointed that it not only didn't work , but was lying on the ground.

MargaretMessler
08-27-2012, 03:33 AM
Along with fixing the broken components, does anyone else think it's time for a major rehab and perhaps re-boot? Maybe change up some things, add some others? I like the ride too as I am a big movie buff, but I definitely wouldn't be broken up about missing out on it if that meant they were bringing it up to date.

DizneyRox
08-27-2012, 06:42 AM
If you can name some Timeless Disney movies...

That's a lot of the problem. They don't want to spend a lot of money on new sets, etc, only to have it be be dated again in no time. Licensing the rights is even more expensive.

Without being an actual movie studio, MGM is prone to becoming the shell of a park it used to be. We hardly go when we are in the neighborhood. Maybe swing by for Fantasmic, but not much else is worth the walk.

#1donaldfan
08-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I love the Great Movie Ride, but it has seen better days.....wish they'd update too !! July the Mayor was working on Pirates, the turtles on their backs on splash were not working, shooting the water across our path......I'm sure there are more things that need attention......it's still the best place to vacation !!! :cool:

Main Street Jim
08-27-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't believe it's Imagineering that's responsible for maintenance, surely not for GMR. If I recall correctly, WDW would go to Imagineering and ask for a ride. Imagineering creates the ride and delivers it to WDW. After a bit of a warranty period, it's up to WDW to maintain the ride. The problem is, they don't. That's a lay mans explanation, it gets more complicated, office politics, egos, etc all come into play, but I think it's safe to say that 95% of the blame for the state of WDW lies with WDW management. They need to go...This is *very* accurate :thumbsup:

Take for example the Speedway cars. They're in *bad* shape, and have been for quite some time. They've got two mechanics there per shift - nothing to do with Imagineering. Them things break *all the time* - especially the steering :/ The mechanics (*any* ride maintenance crew, actually) get tired of stuff breaking all the time, and they can't fix what they don't have parts for - or what they *run out of parts for*, because it breaks down so much. They go to their managers, "we need more parts", management says, "we don't have the $$$" (or, "we don't want to spend the $$$ on this stuff that just keeps breaking down"), maintenance says, "we can't fix it then"...and this is the kind of stuff that happens (at any attraction)...Splash, Space, Speedway, Everest, you name it....

About the *only* attraction I can think of, that gets any real love, is the steam trains. The maintenance guys there *only* work on the steam trains (and associated equipment). Most other areas, the maintenance guys take care of multiple attractions. At the trains, them guys keep them things running, so they *don't* break down very often. They have a more-than-99.5% operational time.

As a guest...if you notice stuff like this (stuff not working in an attraction), best thing<s> to do?

Notify a CM working the attraction. If they're as passionate as I am/was about the way *my* attractions operated and looked, I'd notify my managers *and* Maintenance.

Notify a coordinator (different from regaulr CM's) or a manager for the attraction.

If you don't have the time right away after your experience, let Guest Relations know - written (in person that same day) *and* via e-mail or a phone call. It'll get forwarded to the appropriate department. make sure you include the approximate time of day, the date, and which attraction, obviously. Oh - and the problems you experienced.

If they don't know about it, they don't/won't know there's problems :-/

Crow
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
yea i saw that the mayor wasnt moving on POC also.
i heard that the first scene in GMR had water originally...
so wat if the witch didnt move...would they fix that since it was a noticeable AA figure.
it does need to b changed but i doubt they would ever spend the $ to do it.

joanna71985
08-28-2012, 03:19 PM
yea i saw that the mayor wasnt moving on POC also.
i heard that the first scene in GMR had water originally...
so wat if the witch didnt move...would they fix that since it was a noticeable AA figure.
it does need to b changed but i doubt they would ever spend the $ to do it.

There hasn't been water used in Footlight parade in years (at least 15 years).

Gator
08-28-2012, 04:13 PM
This attraction has always seemed to need a little TLC somewhere along the track. It seems to change with each trip I take.

Camaro305
08-29-2012, 04:12 PM
There hasn't been water used in Footlight parade in years (at least 15 years).

Originally (1992), it did. :mickey:

joanna71985
08-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally (1992), it did. :mickey:

Oh I know it originally did. But I said it hasn't been used in at least 15 years

Camaro305
08-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh I know it originally did. But I said it hasn't been used in at least 15 years

Gotcha. Crow said "originally" so I just wanted to clear up the point that originally, it did.

Crow
09-02-2012, 02:53 PM
im trying to think if i remember the water.
so is it worth it to email someone, or a waste of time..i doubt if they would invest much in it, they figure most guests wont notice

joanna71985
09-02-2012, 05:58 PM
im trying to think if i remember the water.
so is it worth it to email someone, or a waste of time..i doubt if they would invest much in it, they figure most guests wont notice

At this point, it would be a waste of time unfortunately

barnaby
09-02-2012, 06:50 PM
:
Dinosaur - The larger dinosaur eating the smaller one, is lying on the ground in the dark.

My 11 year old daughter loved looking at the big dino eating the small one for some reason, and was really disappointed that it not only didn't work , but was lying on the ground.

Just got back, I noticed that on Dinosaur as well.
Also, the little dinos don't jump, the pterodactyl didn't swoop down, and overall the entire attraction seemed extra dark.

Crow
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
people will keep coming and most prob wont notice..if they never knew why fix it.

KevMcNJ
09-03-2012, 10:49 PM
I fell in love with The Great Movie Ride the first time I rode it circa 1989 or 1990. Couldnt get enough of it no matter how many times I rode it.

But there was a period where I didnt visit WDW for close to 20 years and when I took my wife who had never been to WDW we rode the Great Movie Ride and it was nice...I guess.

Something happened between 1990 and 2008. It went from a must see ride to a ride I had to ride once per visit for old times sake.

Its now a nostalgia ride for me. I ride it because I can remember riding it with a friend who is no longer with us and a niece who is no longer 3 years old.

If it shut down tomorrow, Id feel sad but not gutted like Id feel if HM or SM was suddenly closed

Elias1901
09-03-2012, 11:06 PM
This is *very* accurate :thumbsup:

Take for example the Speedway cars. They're in *bad* shape, and have been for quite some time. They've got two mechanics there per shift - nothing to do with Imagineering. Them things break *all the time* - especially the steering :/ The mechanics (*any* ride maintenance crew, actually) get tired of stuff breaking all the time, and they can't fix what they don't have parts for - or what they *run out of parts for*, because it breaks down so much. They go to their managers, "we need more parts", management says, "we don't have the $$$" (or, "we don't want to spend the $$$ on this stuff that just keeps breaking down"), maintenance says, "we can't fix it then"...and this is the kind of stuff that happens (at any attraction)...Splash, Space, Speedway, Everest, you name it....

About the *only* attraction I can think of, that gets any real love, is the steam trains. The maintenance guys there *only* work on the steam trains (and associated equipment). Most other areas, the maintenance guys take care of multiple attractions. At the trains, them guys keep them things running, so they *don't* break down very often. They have a more-than-99.5% operational time.

As a guest...if you notice stuff like this (stuff not working in an attraction), best thing<s> to do?

Notify a CM working the attraction. If they're as passionate as I am/was about the way *my* attractions operated and looked, I'd notify my managers *and* Maintenance.

Notify a coordinator (different from regaulr CM's) or a manager for the attraction.

If you don't have the time right away after your experience, let Guest Relations know - written (in person that same day) *and* via e-mail or a phone call. It'll get forwarded to the appropriate department. make sure you include the approximate time of day, the date, and which attraction, obviously. Oh - and the problems you experienced.

If they don't know about it, they don't/won't know there's problems :-/

Thanks to both you and DisneyRox for laying it down for me. The information you provided was very interesting and informative! And it makes sense about the steam trains matinence being on the up and up considering the people who work on the steam trains (both at WDW and DLR) are very passionate Cast Members!

Lindsey310
09-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Paid close attention to this when we went on 8/30....so true!!!!!!!! :secret:
I was secretly laughing to myself thinking about this post!