PDA

View Full Version : EPCOT to DHS on foot

MargaretMessler
08-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I know I've seen more than one person mentioning walking from EPCOT to DHS via the Boardwalk. Can someone refresh my memory on a route and time? Thinking this might be a nice change of pace for the BFF and I going down next fall.

phlo8810
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
We walk it all the time. From international gateway its a good 25min walk. Not sure of the distance but can't be that far. I'm not in the best shape and one time we forgot our tickets so I ran back to the BW from the gates at DS. Roundtrip took me a good 40mins, and thats with catching my breath every now and then. We love the walk and scenary on the way.

Gator
08-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Unless you walk a lot, this will be a long walk for you. Especially after a day at Epcot, where you walk a lot, it's just another grind to walk all the way to DHS. Take the boat.

FiggyFan
08-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Here is the route:

Exit Epcot at International Gateway. Walk towards the resort hotel area and turn left to cross the bridge leading towards the Boardwalk resort. Either walk the length of the Boardwalk, turn left in front of the Dance Hall, turn left again as you pass the archway sign (right takes you to Dolphin/Swan) and follow the walkway down the river to the Studios...OR cut through the Boardwalk pool area to pick up the walkway behind the Keister Coaster waterslide. To get to the Boardwalk pool area, turn left just past the Boardwalk resorts lawn, then right through the tunnel to the pool area.

Not sure about the time/distance. I only made this walk once, and that was early morning in the cool weather. I wouldn't think of it in August - walking the parks is enough for me.

Mousemates
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
The walk is nice...but so is the boat transport, which also
gives your feet something of a break.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Although the walk is totally do-able (and faster than the boat), the boat is a great break!

You get to see the resorts and have a break on the trip, so you're all set for the next park. If you haven't taken the boat, I'd give it a try.

BugeyedMuggy
08-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Fall time is a great time to take the walk, not too hot and humid. We are 50ish and never take the boat unless it is raining. You can always start to walk and if you get tired you can catch the boat at any resort along the way.

LebelJD
08-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Yep, we walk it quite often. Best part is if you cut through the pool you can grab a cold adult beverage at Leaping Libations.:beer:

MargaretMessler
08-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the tips! :thumbsup: We are big walkers and hikers, so the distance things shouldn't be an issue. And mid to late September temp wise oughta be good. I'm thinking of maybe going one way walking the boardwalk, then boat back later. Best of both worlds!

stephicakes
08-25-2012, 06:06 PM
I agree - we really enjoyed the walk in September. You can always walk on the way to HS and if you are tired later on you can take the boat back. :) I say try everything once!

LudwigVonDrake
08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
It's about a half hour walk. I did it in July and vowed never again :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-25-2012, 10:29 PM
I must walk kind of fast because my nephew and I made it in about 15 minutes. Of course we were running late to check in for our ADRs at Spoodles so we walked it to beat the boat and get checked in on time.

MickeysBestPal
08-26-2012, 06:46 AM
I must walk kind of fast because my nephew and I made it in about 15 minutes. Of course we were running late to check in for our ADRs at Spoodles so we walked it to beat the boat and get checked in on time.

Spoodles is closer to DHS than walking the full distance to Epcot.

It would be another 8-12 minutes (depending on walking pace) to reach Epcot's International Gateway from Spoodles.

DizneyRox
08-26-2012, 07:43 AM
As mentioned, the walk is great, and faster than the boat. You can go either way, towards Boardwalk, or towards the Beach Club, they will both get you there.

The Boardwalk way is quicker, especially if you take the shortcut. We do the walk all the time, my motto is, if it can be walked [safely], then we do. I added safely after trying the walk from Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge at night.

The shortcut can tak a good few minutes off your time. When you get to the entrance to Boardwalk, head in and to the right towards the Arcade/Pool area, it's a walkway under the building just past the gallery. Then walk past the pool back out to the walkway towards MGM. Do the same in reverse to Epcot.

A Big Kid
08-26-2012, 09:02 AM
I must walk kind of fast because my nephew and I made it in about 15 minutes.

this

Suffichai
08-26-2012, 11:32 AM
It's about a half hour walk. I did it in July and vowed never again :mickey:

I hear ya...sometimes we take this trek thinking it helps burn calories from all the table service we enjoy while on property!

dulyjs
08-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I must walk kind of fast because my nephew and I made it in about 15 minutes.

I am a fast walker too but my sister and I did the rougly 1.3 miles in about 25 minutes. I'm so glad we did the walk both from Studios to Epcot and back later. It is such a relaxing break, particularly if the weather is beautiful.

BowTie7
08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I like to start the day at the Studios and eventually end up at Epcot. I usually watch the fireworks near France and then have a very peaceful walk back to the (usually nearly empty) Studios parking lot.

Lizzie
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Are there good maps online that you could figure this out?

MickeysBestPal
08-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Are there good maps online that you could figure this out?

I just sent you a PM with some specific maps.

TinkerbellT421
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
DBF and I have walked that plenty of times, and would do it again. It's a nice walk, nice scenery, as long as you are not in a rush to get anywhere it's worth it. And I agree with one of the other posters, cut through the pool at the Boardwalk and get a nice :marg::beer: to go at Leaping Horse.

streets of paris
08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
it's nice, quiet, and often FASTER than the launch. i always get lost trying to cut through Boardwalk though lol

MickeysBestPal
08-28-2012, 06:19 PM
it's nice, quiet, and often FASTER than the launch. i always get lost trying to cut through Boardwalk though lol

I just PM'ed you a couple of maps that should help show you the way! :thumbsup:

MargaretMessler
08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
I just PM'ed you a couple of maps that should help show you the way! :thumbsup:

Care to share further? :secret:

MickeysBestPal
08-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Care to share further? :secret:

Done! ;)

tronco12
08-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Unless you walk a lot, this will be a long walk for you