PDA

View Full Version : Our secret language giveaways

Mendelson
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Today I was emailed a headshot from a person (who I don’t know but am connected to professionally) for a website I’m working on. Behind him in this photo is the very top of an arc of water from a fountain, a lamppost, and a very bit of a façade of a building with a tiny bit of landscaping in front. A measly bit of information, but something just clicked and I asked, out of curiosity, if the picture was from POR. He replied, with astonishment, that it was and immediately outed me as a Disney nerd, with such powers of WDW observation. After a couple sentences about his stay there he asked “have you ever had the beignets at POFQ?” and I of course knew what he was talking about.

It got me thinking about the Disney park language that really ID’s you as a WDW fanatic. Things you could say to a WDWer that would make perfect sense, but be complete Greek – if not downright bizarre – to an “outsider.” Here are a few I thought of off the top of my head…others?

“I’m resigned to always see the Yeti in ‘B’ mode.”
“We have ADRs at V&A’s at 8pm, but hope to be back to CSR by midnight.”
“The Kitchen Sink on the Boardwalk nearly killed us.”
“WDI outdid themselves with the FL expansion, all while fighting TDO.”
“If you see Brazilians coming with FP’s, just run the other way.”
“There’s no way ‘Seven Dwarfs’ is a ‘mountain.’”
“We were on Splash in five minutes, thanks to finding the paint brush.”
“I miss Dreamfinder as much as Mr. Toad.”
“Was the ‘Rome burning’ smell working?”
“Schoolbread (sic) is so garsh darn good!”

stephicakes
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Ha! I love it!! :mickey:

How about... "After doing the TTA and COP, let's head over to do SSE before drinking around the World."

:)

Kenny1113
08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Ha! Funny you should say that. I was in an interveiw and the candidate was talking about WDW. I found myself using the abbreviations I use here on the boards in my notes of what the candidate was saying!!!! :mickey:

laprana
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Love this! The first one I thought of was, "Do I get a discount with my DVC or AP?" :D

Gator
08-24-2012, 05:35 PM
"It's gonna take two TSs on the DDP to eat at Cindy's." :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Did you make your ADRs yet?
I don't wanna go on ToT but I want to go on TT and TTA.
I don't want to go through TTC so lets take the bus to MK.

Tink#64
08-25-2012, 01:00 AM
LOL, I find myself always referring to my husband & kids as my DH & my DS's! :silly:

TheVBs
08-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Love that you were able to guess the location on that little info! :mickey:

Lindsey310
08-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Lol lol I love it :thumbsup:

"was the Rome burn smell working??!!" hysterical. :mickey:

LandFan
08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Let's go talk Turtle!

Only 35 days until MNSSHP!! We love MVMCP but look forward to trying MNSSHP on this trip.

We like the somewhat hidden bathrooms in the old Odyssey bldg the best!

Did you see DeVine?

Push scared my DN to death! (no lie, btw, lol - she was 12 at the time)

We like to stay in the big wheel building at Pop but are trying Little Mermaid at AofA this trip.

CosmicRay
08-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Our Church is called Pin Oaks Christian. And on our church website, they will put POC on there, and I automatically think they are talking about the WDW Pirates of the Caribbean!

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2012, 03:45 PM
“I’m resigned to always see the Yeti in ‘B’ mode.”
“We have ADRs at V&A’s at 8pm, but hope to be back to CSR by midnight.”
“The Kitchen Sink on the Boardwalk nearly killed us.”
“WDI outdid themselves with the FL expansion, all while fighting TDO.”
“If you see Brazilians coming with FP’s, just run the other way.”
“There’s no way ‘Seven Dwarfs’ is a ‘mountain.’”
“We were on Splash in five minutes, thanks to finding the paint brush.”
“I miss Dreamfinder as much as Mr. Toad.”
“Was the ‘Rome burning’ smell working?”
“Schoolbread (sic) is so garsh darn good!”

I understood all of them except the last one. :confused:

Mendelson
08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I understood all of them except the last one. :confused:

Skolebrød is the name of a Norwegian pastry. At Kringla Bakeri og Cafe in Norway it is transformed into 'school bread." It's delicious!

#1donaldfan
08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
My DD is a CM working entertainment. She can get us discounts at AKL and the DDP which only make us pay OOP for very little. While there with her we love using FP's so we don't miss our ADR's for the DDP ...... sorry, I could've done better....:mickey:

ransam
08-27-2012, 01:38 PM
I work for an architect firm. I sat in on a meeting last week w/ a potential client that we really want. I am pretty low on the totem pole, but was still at the meeting. The CEO of the company was talking about their business practices, and mentioned that he prefers to call his customer's "guests". I kind of threw out that Disney does the same. I could see our partner kind of scared, but the CEO said that's exactly where he got it. We proceeded to talk disney for about 10 minutes in the meeting.
We got the client.

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Skolebrød is the name of a Norwegian pastry. At Kringla Bakeri og Cafe in Norway it is transformed into 'school bread." It's delicious!Thanks for the explanation. I was wracking my brain trying to recall if that was a comment Goofy might have made.... :D

EeyoresBestFriend
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
1) We had ADRs at Japan, so we ran through Morrocco after a quick stop in France for a slushie.

2) We meet up by the Quarter gators, bring the beignets.

3) Let's FP BTMRR then see Splash or Space for standby.

4) There were BTGs heading for DHS, and we had AP's with hop so we went the other way to AK.

:D

AXOAlum
08-27-2012, 10:30 PM
I *too* had a "photo clip" moment - I work at a scrapbook store, and a customer had dropped off some photos for me to help her match paper, but she had to leave, so I was left on my own. She had this particular photo grouped with the Universal photos. It had a small piece of a boat in it, and a really strange blue color behind it. There was another customer in the store (who knows my Disney addiction) and all of a sudden I yelled "I cannot believe she has this photo in with Universal - clearly, that is Planet Hollywood blue in the background - this is DTD, not Universal!" I turned around to see the customer laughing her behind off - I didn't even realize what I had said until I saw her laughing.

That being said, I am constantly being corrected by DH for saying something is 101 (whether it be the toaster or a construction site)! I also get very particular when he (or anyone) says "season pass" to WDW - I constantly say "AP" - immediately after hearing those offensive words! lol :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
08-27-2012, 11:04 PM
1) I love the smell of the orange groves on soarin!
2) I still don't know why the have the newspaper kid on SSE facing the wall :confused:
3) was the hidden Mickey in the ballroom scene on HM?
4) COP got stuck in between scenes again
5) lets have a nap on energy
6) why the skunk smell?!?

Cinderelley
08-28-2012, 06:07 AM
I used my 180 + 10 to make ADRs for CP to get in before morning EMH, so that we can do BTMRR, SM, PotC, and SM before FL gets too crowded.

Joannelet
08-28-2012, 07:11 AM
I always tell people we own a DVC and it isn't until they look at me that I realize they don't know what DVC is :)

laprana
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
I work for an architect firm. I sat in on a meeting last week w/ a potential client that we really want. I am pretty low on the totem pole, but was still at the meeting. The CEO of the company was talking about their business practices, and mentioned that he prefers to call his customer's "guests". I kind of threw out that Disney does the same. I could see our partner kind of scared, but the CEO said that's exactly where he got it. We proceeded to talk disney for about 10 minutes in the meeting.
We got the client.

Love this! That's awesome! :thumbsup:

I also get very particular when he (or anyone) says "season pass" to WDW - I constantly say "AP" - immediately after hearing those offensive words! lol :mickey:

I do the exact same thing! "Season's pass" just makes me think of Six Flags...NOT WDW! :D

Janmac
08-28-2012, 05:07 PM
From a friend recapping her WDW trip:

Note to self, don't wear white shorts when doing KRR at AK.

:D

Jan