PDA

View Full Version : What is NOT your "Pure Disney Attraction"

ChipNDale79
08-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I started another thread asking what your "Pure Disney" attraction is. Someone suggested that we do the same thing for Non Pure Disney attractions. So here goes.....

Mine is Stitches Great Escape, to me it's one of the worst attractions in Disney's history.

I'll go for an entire area on my other one, and that Chester and Hester's in AK.

Yours?

Disneywarrior
08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Yea I'll agree with you on both of your choices. Stitch never has seemed like a Disney character to me. And Chester and Hester's dinorama is just ridiculous. I would also like to add American idol at the studios. It's just not Disney!

tiggerbuddy
08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
How about the horrible "Sounds Dangerous":ack:

Gator
08-23-2012, 11:24 AM
I actually think Stich is a great Disney ride - especially for kids. And Chester and Hester is colorful and fun.

For me, Universe of Energy just doesn't have the magic. You see the outside and think that the ride is going to be pretty cool. Then you ride it. Blah.:ack:

Ms. Mode
08-23-2012, 11:47 AM
I agree that American Idol is "non-Disney" to me; I'm not even sure how many people go in there for that. The space could be used for actual Disney productions..ie..Mary Poppins or something like that. Just saying...

DNS
08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
That Chester and Hester Dinorama thing. So non Disney to me. Looks like the cheap carnivals I used to see as a kid. I know that is what it is supposed to look like, but please, not at Disney. :ack:

1DisneyNut
08-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree...Stitch isn't so great. My wife and kids hate it so we haven't done it in probably 5 years or more. That attraction was so much better when it was the Alien instead of stitch.

American Idol is a waste of space. Never even been in it and probably never will.

mydisneygirls
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I honestly don't know what Disney was thinking when they created Stiches Great Escape!!! On the other hand, my daughters and I love American Idol. Every time we've gone in, there was a big crowd!!

SurferStitch
08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
I agree about Idol.... It just never seemed worth the time to me. Not very Disney.

Also, I know it's been there forever, but Tomorrowland Speedway. They really need to theme that and give it some Disney flare. Boring!

Stu29573
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
You know, I never really thought about American Idol.....mainly because I never had any desire to see it. I would have said Sounds Dangerous, but its now thankfully gone. I guess Stitch. Went once, and that was one time too many!

dizneydeb22
08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I have to agree with the Tomorrowland Speedway. If they rethemed it with let's say a Cars motif, I would change my mind. We have a local theme park, very small, that has the same exact attraction, just not as long of a track. There is no real theming or storyline.

buzznwoodysmom
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I would have to say DisneyQuest is probably the most "non disney" thing I've done in WDW. I don't know if it's just because I generally hate arcades, and this one is a mega arcade, but it's definitely my least favorite thing I've ever done in WDW.

Lindsey310
08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I agree with the people who said stitch. I am not a fan of that ride and I feel terribly claustrophobic when that bar comes over my head (but I am fine on rock 'n' roller coaster). I dont love the tiki birds attraction either, needs to be replaced. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
For me, it would be Lights! Motors! Action!

I just do not see the "Disney" connection. I see it is showing the suspense aspect of film making, but outside of seeing Herby or McQueen in the middle of the show drive by, where's the "Disney" feel? :confused: lol

Rhetoric2000
08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
For me it's the Tomorrowland Speedway and it's not even close - purely because of how long it's been there taking up useful space. And IMO theming it with Cars wouldn't make it any more Disney than it already isn't either.

Honourable mentions for Test Track (advert) and Mission: Space (gimmick) primarily because of what they replaced.

minnie04
08-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Also, I know it's been there forever, but Tomorrowland Speedway. They really need to theme that and give it some Disney flare. Boring!

That would be a great area for "Cars”. I also agree on Stitch. I get what they are trying to have happen in there, but it just doesn’t go over well. I think the Chester & Hester should be made into a water park area like in Sea world for the kids to get wet and cool off. Not cheap carnival rides that you can go on at home. It’s always empty when we pass through there. :mickey:

ransam
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
i really enjoy American Idol and think it's a perfect attraction for Hollywood Studios. this park is supposed to be about Hollywood, so what' more hollywood than a show about the behind the scenes and then the taping of one of the most popular shows in the last 10-15 years?

Auntie B
08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Stitch is my choice . . . just have it removed.

Quadstriker
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Stitch is always the obvious choice for "terrible attraction which only serves to frighten small children and bore everyone else."

I honestly can't believe that someone listed Tiki room here though.

joonyer
08-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Another vote for the Speedway. Yes, it was part of the original Disneyland (Autopia), but the same ride can be found in almost every cheesy tacky roadside amusement park anywhere. It took no imagination to create, merely a copy of other rides that is easy to produce and maintain, even though it takes up a lot of space. I know it's popular with little ones, but so are lots of other common amusement park rides. That's no reason to include them in the Magic Kingdom. My kids thought it was pretty lame after the first time they rode it, and they never wanted to waste time waiting in line for it again. I think it should be replaced. That space is big enough for two (or 3) better attractions. Even a re-theming to "Cars" would be a huge improvement.

AllDisney
08-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Stitch

BigThunderFan
08-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I really dislike Kali River Rapids as a Disney ride. The theming is amazing in the queue, but then the ride itself is so short and boring! Especially compared to Grizzly Falls in California Adventure, now that is a DISNEY rapids ride!

I agree with Chester & Hester too, even though it is exactly what the imagineers themed it to be. I could see this at any state fair and not have to travel across the country to visit.

Tomorrowland Speedway also is so lacking! Compared to Autopia in Disneyland this is just another (insert local theme park name) ride available all over the country. There is just no theming at all on this one! :(

texas211
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Mission Space. Just seems to not fit the disney feel to me.

Mousemates
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Ellen of Epcot is surely the big winner here....at least Stitch is Disney.

DisneyDINK
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Is it too early to say Avitarland? Or is it too late?

More seriously, I think my choice for least pure Disney is Primeval Whirl. Why? When you walk on you feel like you're walking onto any other rollercoaster type ride in America. The dinosaur theming is cheesy and limited. The whole ride is just sitting there out in the open. Granted, it is SUPPOSED to feel that way, sort of like an off the highway roadside sort of attraction, but to me it just doesn't feel very Disney.

Melanie
08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Since my family of boys don't hit up 'cheesy amusement parks across the US', we love the Speedway just how it is. Great memories!

For me, this one is hard. As a whole, I think certain attractions within Hollywood Studios would represent this more than anywhere for me. I just don't feel completely immersed in Disney when I'm there, but I still love it. Like I said, hard for me to pick just one.

Septbride2002
08-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Mine will not be a popular answer - but I have to say Soarin.
I hate the location of the queue, hate the queue, hate the walk and wait, walk and wait, walk and wait - and the one section reminds me of unfinished basements through out the mid west. Then you finally get on the ride and the screen quality is poor. I like the concept just not the execution.

~Amanda

stephicakes
08-24-2012, 03:56 PM
More seriously, I think my choice for least pure Disney is Primeval Whirl. Why? When you walk on you feel like you're walking onto any other rollercoaster type ride in America. The dinosaur theming is cheesy and limited. The whole ride is just sitting there out in the open. Granted, it is SUPPOSED to feel that way, sort of like an off the highway roadside sort of attraction, but to me it just doesn't feel very Disney.

Yes - I agree! I know that there is a lot for little ones to do in that area but if it weren't for the DINOSAUR ride, I doubt my family would even venture into Dinoland at all. Again, I know the theming is supposed to be like a carnival atmosphere, but I can get that anywhere and it just isn't "Disney" to me. :shake:

Aurora
08-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Chester and Hester's. I spend so much time (way too much for a normal human being) trying to find places that make me feel like I'm in WDW; when I'm really there, I don't want to be in a place that makes me feel like I'm at Six Flags.

texas211
08-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Is it too early to say Avitarland? Or is it too late?

Totally. I feel like that whole area is a cheap carnival. Like the kind in a cheap grocery store parking lot.

TheVBs
08-25-2012, 07:31 AM
I get that people don't like Stitch. It's cute, not my favorite, but I definitely couldn't look at it and say it isn't Disney. Chester & Hester's is not our favorite section either, but as others have pointed out that's supposed to look roadside.

I would have to agree on American Idol, although in all fairness we've never done. Never had even an ounce of interest in it. I have to agree with Melody on the HS comment too. We enjoy ourselves there, but overall it's the park that has the least Disney feel to us.

SurferStitch
08-27-2012, 11:52 AM
I get that people don't like Stitch. It's cute, not my favorite, but I definitely couldn't look at it and say it isn't Disney. Chester & Hester's is not our favorite section either, but as others have pointed out that's supposed to look roadside.

Thank you. My feelings exactly (except Stitch is one of my favorite attractions, but that's okay). :secret:

Main Street Jim
08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I feel like that whole area is a cheap carnival. Like the kind in a cheap grocery store parking lot.That's the whole idea of DinoRama :) That's the look and feel they were going after....

My "non-Disney" attraction? Hmmmm....

Although I'm not a fan, Stitch (the attraction) *is* "Disney"....

All of the "Dumbo" clones :-/ Now *there's* a "ride" you can find at *any* carnival/fair. You have Dumbo 1 & 2, Dumbo 3 (Astro Orbiter), Dumbo 4 (Magic Carpets), and Dumbo 5 (Triceratop Spin).

Speedway? I *love* the Speedway. It's themed toward *race cars*; it was the first ride I ever went on in 1972; I'm a race fan; I worked there for three years... :mickey:

MrPeetrie
08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Primeval Whirl and the whole Chester & Hester Dinorama in general.

Rides like Primeval Whirl can be found at average amusement parks (and done better). Little Kennywood in Pittsburgh, for example, has a better version.

The area itself seems like it was "Imagineered" so it could be done on the cheap and the quick. It's almost like they wanted to announce an expansion so they did one as quickly as they could. It really is out of step with the rest of the park's meticulous theming, and the rest of Walt Disney World for that matter.

IT JUST DOESN'T BELONG ON PROPERTY!

Main Street Jim
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
About DinoRama, Primeval Whirl, etc.:

That's the whole LOOK that Disney *wanted* for that area. It's SUPPOSED to look like a cheesy, cheap, roadside carnival.

But, yeah, I do agree that it shouldn't be in a *Disney* park.

MrPeetrie
08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Main Street Jim, my point is I think they wanted that look because it could be accomplished quickly. If memory serves me correct, Animal Kingdom at the time wasn't doing very well attendance-wise. It's almost like their blue sky session had a time frame and a budget set first, then had the Imagineers design something to fit into those constraints so Disney could announce an expansion. I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm saying, that's how it appears.

On the other hand, I am in construction. That asphalt "road" in Dinorama is actually painted concrete that has been distressed to look like it is weathered, has cracks, and potholes. That is no small task. So maybe I'm being too hard on Disney.

epceddie
08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I've never been a fan of the Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios. I just think it's a yawner. The figures you see along the way remind me of a wax museum.