PDA

View Full Version : Your "Pure Disney Ride"

ChipNDale79
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
My wife and I describe rides or attractions at Disney that other theme parks just can't do as Pure Disney, they are typically the ones we really love and blow us away.

Some of mine are:

COP - I've never really seen anything like this anywhere else,it's one of the first things we do when we get to WDW.

Splash Mountain - It's not just a log flume, its a dark ride also.

Space Mountain - Again, an indoor roller coaster that no one seems to be able to come close to.

What are yours?

azcavalier
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Tower of Terror - I know that there are other "dropping" rides, but as far as i know, there are none with the intricate theming, backstory, and the innovative "vehicles" that actually move through the building before ending in the elevator.

The Great Movie Ride - At first it seems slow and boring (and some might say that it is), but it certainly grows on you, even as old as it is. The interactivity of the CMs is totally Disney. Has anyone ever been to another theme park anywhere that has a ride where the CM's interact during the ride?

Which brings me to....

Kilimanjaro Safari - it's a drive through zoo! With a story! And it looks like Africa! And the CMs aren't just zoning out at the departure point, drooling and pressing buttons.

Jim&AngieMarriner
08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Hands down I have to say the Haunted Mansion.

Every park has (or had) a scary-ish dark ride due to the popularity of this ride. But no one has ever came close to it in my opinion. Amazing mood setting, narration, sound effects, visual effects, and story telling all add up to the best attraction Ive ever been on. I absolutely have to ride this several times each trip. To me, the Haunted Mansion IS Disney Magic.

:hmghost:

dizneydeb22
08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I would say mine are also Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion!

Splash has the story to go along with the ride and Haunted Mansion is great for me because I don't have to worry about anyone jumping out at me! :hmghost:

KAJUNKING
08-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Finding Nemo the musical (or maybe any of the stage shows) I don't know of any other theme parks that offer shows of Broadway quality

Tigerinvestigator
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
I think Disneydeb22 hit the nail on the head with the word "Story". No one tells a story like Disney Imagineers. I have never really liked rides like Dumbo, or Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Teacups etc because they don't emerse you in the story like my favorites POTC and HM. To me the thing that sets them apart is the story begins as you approach the attractions. Like the howling wolf or the cannons in the distance at POTC and goes all the way through the queue and the attraction and even the exit. ToT, the Great Movie Ride, Star Tours, Nemo (the queue is actually better than the ride IMHO), JIYIWF, and Mission Space just to name a very few. Even rides like Living with the Land are great at storytelling. First you enter the story of what happens to the land during a storm, and progress to the greenhouse to see how food is grown. That is why I return to Disney because of the storytelling and attention to detail!:thumbsup:

AllDisney
08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I'd have to say Pirates of the Caribbean. It was one of our first rides that just blew us away. Second, Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. :thumbsup:

Ms. Mode
08-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Soar in'

Belle of the Ball 051411
08-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Soarin'!

DisneyGiant
08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Everything everyone said - plus Toy Story Mania.

Maybe the question could be rephrased - as to what is NOT pure Disney. That answer for me is always - Dumbo. I'm forever pointing out rides on the Jersey shore as "that's just a dumbo wannabe....." :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
08-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Dumbo

Auntie B
08-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Pirates, Splash and Haunted Mansion. Like others have said, it is the STORY that makes it Disney to me. Great thread! :mickey:

Main Street Jim
08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Again, hands-down: Horizons. It showcased what the Imagineers could do with current *and* future technology. For that matter, *any* of the original Future World attractions. At the time, no other theme park in the world had anything even close to the original Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Living Seas, Horizons, Universe of Energy, World of Motion, and Universe of Energy. I only got into Wonders of Life a few times, and really enjoyed Cranium Command. Now, California Adventure has the original Soarin'; and now they also have Radiator Springs Racers (which is the same ride system as Test Track).
The Land had Kitchen Kabaret, which, in all honesty, was pretty much the same idea as CBJ in the Magic Kingdom, only with food :)
Sure wish they would've left Imagination and Seas alone...

joonyer
08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
My favorites are Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. All in different "lands" but still close together in the MK. That's makes it convenient to ride them over and over again!

EeyoresBestFriend
08-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Pirates and Haunted Mansion for us!

Funny thing ~ whenever I chat with non-Disney people, their impression of Disney rides are "Its a Small World"! :funny:

Tink#64
08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
My pure Disney magic fav's are - in no particular order :D

Splash Mountain, Soarin, POTC, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear & Toy Story Mania, Figment, COP & TTA! :mickey:

Mousemates
08-23-2012, 09:59 AM
1. Splash Mountain

2. Peter Pan

3. Jungle Cruise

Disneywarrior
08-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I have to agree with Mainstreet Jim. Horizons is my all time favorite Disney attraction. It's a spinoff from CoP and shows the family experiencing all of the new technology in the future. It is sadly missed! I would also add PotC and The Haunted Mansion. Classsic Disney!

Gator
08-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Spash Mountain all the way. Good thrill, great story telling, and music that has you singing all day long.

DNS
08-23-2012, 12:02 PM
It's a Small World

Safari

Splash Mountain

Fantasmic!

Rhetoric2000
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm astonished I'm only the second person with this:

Peter Pan

An original Fantasyland attraction with Walt's fingerprints on it that fully holds up with each generation.

Not my favourite, not even in my top 10 or probably 20. But nothing says "Disney ride" like it.

buzznwoodysmom
08-23-2012, 02:40 PM
How to pick just one!!!!

Pirates
Peter Pan
TTA
CoP

All in MK, I guess in my mind MK is where the "pure Disney" magic lives.

Melanie
08-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Peter Pan

An original Fantasyland attraction with Walt's fingerprints on it that fully holds up with each generation.

Not my favourite, not even in my top 10 or probably 20. But nothing says "Disney ride" like it.

AGREED!

Peter Pan just oozes Disney, through and through.

Love it!

ChipNDale79
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM

Peter Pan

I have to agree with you on this one, Disney did such a great job telling the story on this ride.

Without a doubt one of my favorites.

BigThunderFan
08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
No big surprises here:

PotC
HM
BTMRR
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
EE
ToT

Disneyland:
Matterhorn
MR TOAD!
Indiana Jones

Mrs Bus Driver
08-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Pirates (at DL), HM (prefer WDW), IASW (at DL), Mr. Toads Wild Ride (also at DL), TOT (prefer WDW version), SM (at DL). :mickey::mickey:

texas211
08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Hall of Presidents
Jungle Cruise
Monster's Inc

Boost
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
OK, I have to go with my childhood memories here:

From MK:
Space Mountain - Always and forever, a classic.

I wish that my kids could have seen:

-Skyway
-20,000 Leagues - Yes, it was smelly, yes it was hot, but it had a certain charm to it.

From Studios:
Love Indy and love Tower of Terror

From EPCOT:

Soarin' rocks!

Agree with earlier post that there was NOTHING wrong with the original Seas!

Also, and as so many on here have correctly pointed out, the one attraction at WDW that pulled the future into the here and now and did it so well and in such distinct Disney style was...Horizons. Again, I wish that my kids could have experienced it.

Great thread!

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da Disney
08-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Splash Mountain, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, POC, And its a Small world!

barnaby
08-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Haunted Mansion
Pirates
Everest
Tower of Terror

DisneyDINK
08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Epcot:

Yeah, Horizons was very Disney.
I'd also add Spaceship Earth and The American Adventure.

DHS:

ToT - I think a detailed cueue with some good music makes a ride "Disney" for me.

MK:

I'd take the cueue from POTC at MK and put it on the ride at DL.
CoP, HoP, HM of course. Jungle Cruise feels pretty disney to me too.

BIGDOG
08-24-2012, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=ChipNDale79;2294222]My wife and I describe rides or attractions at Disney that other theme parks just can't do as Pure Disney, they are typically the ones we really love and blow us away.

THERE ARE OTHER THEME PARKS ?????

Aurora
08-24-2012, 07:46 PM
If You Had Wings!!

Just kidding.

Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Jungle Cruise

Actually, with the exception of Magic Carpets of Aladdin, pretty much everything in Adventureland.

TheVBs
08-25-2012, 07:37 AM
My top two are Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

R33
08-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Fav rides that are Disney would have to be :
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Peter Pan
Jungle Cruise : yes, its corny , but if you get a really good CM it can be a lot of fun!

The Great Movie Ride: once again, only Disney can create something that is like this ride.

Spaceship Earth

Rides no longer with us:
Horizons
The "original" Journey into Imagination : this was pure Disney class. Just completely captured the Disney idea. I could go on this ride forever as a younger one and play afterwards. The interactive bits were so fantastic and just amazed my little mind.

If you had wings / Dreamflight

LandFan
08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
COP - THE original Disney ride/show!
HM
Pirates

Newer rides/attractions:
Soarin'
EE
Philharmagic

CosmicRay
08-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Peter Pan and IASW

jnfr2424
08-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Tower of Terror is pure Disney and I cannot stand the drops but the way the elevator goes up and out gets me every single time I am always in awe!!!

arielshouse
08-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Dinosaur
Buzz
POTC
Behind the seeds tour ride
Great movie ride
RnRc
I know eateries aren't rides but I just luv the theming of a lot of them and they just don't have the theming that Disney has! Those equal pure Disney magic for me 2!

Main Street Jim
08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
If You Had Wings!!

If you had wings*Thank you*. IYHW was *brilliant*, in its own way. What a *great* way to "advertise" your airline partnership, to get you to take vacations elsewhere (*is* there anywhere else *but* a Disney resort...?? :mickey::thumbsup: )
IYHW survives, in part, to this day, in Gran Fiesta Tour at the Mexico pavilion. The cliff-diving scenes and the "underwater" scenes near the end of the attraction were lifted directly from IYHW.

Oh - and if you've never seen it, there's a GREAT tribute Web site dedicated not only to IYHW (the main attraction), but to nearly all of the long-lost WDW attractions. PM Me or e-mail me ;)

figgie
08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
R33, I agree that the old "Journey into Imagination" was wonderful and says DISNEY to me. The picture I have of the Dreamfinder with his puppet, Figment, with my kids is one I truely cherish. He used to stand at the exit of the ride before you went into the interaction area. My oldest was a new "teenager" and my two younger ones wanted a picture with The Dreamfinder. I made my new adult-ish guy stand with them for the picture. Just as I said three, The Deamfinder moved Figment in for a kiss planted on my oldster's face! The look on his face is priceless....We also have video of them in the interavtive area with friend's children on one earlier visit when they put all the kids in the western movie, running on the top of the train being chased by the train robbers. That was when interactive meant more than just another computer screen to play on.

Aaahhhh, the happy memories...:dance:

LudwigVonDrake
09-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.

CzepielCrew
09-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean
It's a Small World

Pure Disney......:mickey:

joonyer
09-04-2012, 12:41 PM
IMO, it's hard to argue that any attraction at WDW has more Disney "purity" than Carousel of Progress. I think too many casual or first time guests miss out on seeing it because they think its not big or exciting enough, or they just don't notice it at all. Too bad for them. It's not our favorite attraction at MK, but we never miss it.

tronco12
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd have to say Pirates of the Caribbean.

bruin1344
09-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Pirates (DL version), Splash Mountain (WDW version), Spaceship Earth, Expedition Everest