PDA

View Full Version : What if there were no monorail?

Aurora
08-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Let's pretend that in the near future, Disney can't figure out how to cost-effectively solve the ongoing maintenance problems of the monorail lines and decides to cut its losses and close down the iines altogether. Only the buses and ferries would be options for transportation to and from the Magic Kingdom.

Would you still pay current rates to stay at one of the monorail hotels? If not, would you stay there if rates were on the same level as the Wilderness Lodge?

Just wondering, for those who stay at the monorail hotels, how important the monorail is to you.

ChipNDale79
08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
First of all, I dont think that would happen.

But i would not pay the current rate to stay at a monorail rate if there werent a monorail, id pay the Wilderness Lodge Rate though.

SBETigg
08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
There's not a monorail at the Epcot/DHS hotels but people still love to stay there for proximity to parks and the other area resorts. Why would it be any different for people who prefer the MK area? WDW would have to find a way to make the area resorts all accessible to one another and to the parks-- increased resort launches, bus, and maybe completing the walkway to make it possible to walk entirely around the Seven Seas Lagoon. In that case, I would be perfectly satisfied. Though Disney would be missing something overall without the monorails and that would decrease my enjoyment of WDW, but not enough to not stay at the Seven Seas lagoon area or even decrease prices all that much. It's about location/amenities, and transportation options, not all about the monorail exactly.

I think people who haven't stayed in that area maybe overestimate the value people who stay there place on the monorail. Yes, they're the monorail resorts and it's cool and convenient to stay on the monorail and taking it away would be a major hassle-- as it is now. That would obviously change if the system went down. We use the monorail and the resort launches in fairly equal measure, though. As long as I'm not solely dependent on buses for my transportation everywhere, I'm pretty happy. Being that close to the MK is magical and a feeling I haven't captured staying anywhere else at WDW.

tiggerbuddy
08-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I agree..

But i would not pay the current rate to stay at a monorail rate if there werent a monorail

AgentC
08-21-2012, 05:09 PM
This might sound strange but I have never stayed in a monorail because of the monorail. For me it is more of a bonus. I really only use the monorail to get to MK. I have used it occasionally to go from the TTC to Epcot, but since I normally have a car, it is easier to drive.

I stayed at the Polynesian for the atmosphere. I stayed at Bay Lake Tower because it was new, cool and the 1 bedroom holds 5 people. I stayed at the Contemporary because I had always wanted to try it. I stayed at all of the to be close to MK and to be able to see the fireworks from the resort I also stayed at BLT and the Contemporary because we could walk to MK. None of that changes for me if the monorail was gone.

Aurora
08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
First of all, I dont think that would happen. ...

I don't think it would, either, just throwing it out there as food for thought. But I also never thought they would limit the service as much as they do now, and if they came up with a light-rail or trolley system to replace the monorail in the future, it might not be so far-fetched.

There's not a monorail at the Epcot/DHS hotels but people still love to stay there for proximity to parks and the other area resorts. Why would it be any different for people who prefer the MK area? WDW would have to find a way to make the area resorts all accessible to one another and to the parks-- increased resort launches, bus, and maybe completing the walkway to make it possible to walk entirely around the Seven Seas Lagoon. In that case, I would be perfectly satisfied. ...

With the monorail closing less than an hour after the fireworks at the MK lets out, I would love to see a walkway all the way around the lagoon. One of the reasons we stayed at BLT last year was that it was within walking distance of the MK, and we used that sidewalk a lot. (We did take the monorail home after EMH one night, and it was a treat for sore feet, but that's apparently a thing of the past.)

I have to say that as much as I love the Polynesian, it would be very hard for me to justify paying those kinds of rates if there were no monorail service. Even now, as DVC members, we've toyed with using points to stay there, but we probably wouldn't without the monorail.

Gator
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
If the monorail is gone, I'd never stay at one of those resorts for anything less than what the Wilderness Lodge rate is. What would be the point?

MrPeetrie
08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I have not had the fortune to stay in a monorail resort yet, but I am looking forward to it one day.

With that said, even without the monorail access, I believe those hotels would stil be priced higher than the Wilderness Lodge for a couple of reasons.

First, the Magic Kingdom Is visible from these resorts. My feeling (as I haven't stayed there yet) is being able to see Cinderella Castle from your resort balcony must be truly "Magical!" To me, that embodies being immersed in the Disney bubble.

Second reason is these resorts can view the evening fireworks, while the Wilderness Lodge cannot. That's an added bonus. (I'm not sure if the same holds true for he evening water parade.)

texas211
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't do Contemporary. But I'd still do the others. As long as the ferry service was good.

Mousemates
08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Second reason is these resorts can view the evening fireworks, while the Wilderness Lodge cannot. That's an added bonus. (I'm not sure if the same holds true for he evening water parade.)

While that is generally true, we actually had a pretty nice view of the fireworks from one of the honeymoon suites at the WL when we stayed their for our 25th anniversary.

As for the what if there were no monorail question...I think its complete absence would necessitate about a $50 a night reduction in room costs at the CR/Poly/GF.

MrPeetrie
08-24-2012, 08:08 PM
... we actually had a pretty nice view of the fireworks from one of the honeymoon suites at the WL when we stayed their for our 25th anniversary.

Congratulations on 25 years.

Mousemates
08-24-2012, 10:45 PM
thanks MrPeetrie...it will be 27 in two weeks.:cloud9: