PDA

View Full Version : Devil birds!

Wolf
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I have a question for all the Intercot family, how many of yall have had bad encounters with the seagul/birdies at WDW?

BACKSTORY: Two trips ago we were in EPCOT, walking through world showcase near Morocco one sunny day when a evil birdie flew overhead and pooped in my hair! and of course I had my hair in pig tail braids (Im aware I'm far to old for that style lol but I got alotta hair) so he hit scalp with his attack and let me just tell yall...I freaked out, I was convinved I was going to get bird flu for about 20 mins, I tried my best to wash my hair in a sink and get it at least sorta remedied but we ended up just giving up and going back to our resort so I could shower after alittle while..Now every time we go through Morocco I get very nervous and side eye the birds like they are up to something. Mom has still not stopped laughing about that.

Has this happened to anyone else? Let me know I'm not alone in my fear of fly by poops from birds!

#1donaldfan
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
My DD was tortured by birds trying to get her food one day at EC's Yorkshire Fish Shoppe.....we laughed at her so hard !! I didn't know she was scared of birds till then......:cool:

TinkerbellT421
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Ugh! The evil birds :thedolls:!!!!

I am a self proclaimed germ-a-phob, bird poop freaks me out!

One day when walking through Magic Kingdom, apparently a bird got my arm, not full force it appeared to be mostly splatter type, didn't notice until DBF looked at my arm/wrist area and said "what is all over you?!" I stood there screaming in the middle of Tomorrowland bugging out lol! Ran to the nearest bathroom and profusely washed my arm until it was raw!

One day, walking through Frontierland a girl was eating a newly bought Churro, not sure she even took a bite, she bought it at the cart, as she turned away from the cart to start walking heading towards Big Thunder Mountain we saw a seagull swoop down, grab the churro right out of her hand and fly away. She starts laughing a laugh that sounded like a cross between a laugh, cry, scream and start screaming "he stole my churro!!!!" That was actually pretty funny!

IamBelle
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
The birds near flame tree BBQ bug me so much, last time I was there, one of the white birds with the long beaks bit my sisters finger! Luckily it wasn't that bad, but it still freaked her out.

DVC2004
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
The birds are very aggressive there. My son hates going to Cantina de San Angel in Epcot because there are so many hanging around when you eat at the outside tables. They get very close. Last trip we saw one actually take a tortilla chip off someone's food plate.

Aurora
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Ten years ago on our trip in January all kinds of birds were extremely aggressive. We saw vultures eating the bark off palm trees and different kinds of birds stealing french fries everywhere.

One day we were at the Magic Kingdom in Frontierland near a cart that sold hot dogs. Our table was under the pergola at Pecos Bill. Ibises, seagulls and crows were perched all over the top of the pergola. We watched as over and over again, seagulls swooped down to steal people's food.

My husband knew about this and after getting several hot dogs, tried to shield the food with his arm while walking toward our table. It didn't matter. Three gulls came down and one stole half a dog. It was like being in the Hitchcock movie.

Disney Goof
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Haven't gotten pooped on at WDW, but I have a couple other times.

The bird story we have at WDW is when we were walking along the wooden walk way in Frontierland, my DD4 was on my shoulders eating her cookie from lunch and a seagull came along and stole the cookie right out of her hand. We didn't know what happened at first, but DD was screaming, "The Bird stole my cookie". We laugh about it now, but she was very scared at the time.

Rats with wings, that's what birds are.

DNS
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Wolf - This has happened twice to me, but neither time at Disney World. First time just walking down the street. Fortunately my aunt lived in the area and I went to her house to wash my hair. She couldn't stop laughing. The second time was at my mother's house for a BBQ. Hit the front of my head and went right down my face. My sister saw it and we thought she would pass out from laughing so hard.:unsure: The indignities of life.

yourmagicalguide
08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I've noticed how aggressive the birds are on my last few visits to WDW.

On my last trip, while eating breakfast with my DH outside of Starring Rolls in DHS, a mother and her two children were surrounded by hungry birds because they kept tossing crumbs to them. Eventually, a bird got brave and took part of one of the children's Danish, so then the fun was over. The mother then tossed what was left of her turnover in our general direction to get the birds away from her and her family as they gathered their things and left. Talk about rude! :mad:

People should not feed the birds in the parks! They're definitely not starving by any means.

By the way, if you or someone in your party has a bird steal your food, just go back to the counter and explain the situation to the cast member. They will be happy to replace the stolen item for you :mickey:

Lindsey310
08-16-2012, 01:33 PM
The birds can be annoying! I remember one time we were in magic kingdom eating a turkey leg. The girl sitting next to us turned her head for a minute and a bird swooped in and took a huge bite out of her turkey leg! :ack:

13 days and counting!!! :mickey:

Wolf
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I am so happy I'm not alone!!! I wear a hat to EPCOT most of the time now...Yes I am aware the bird in question could be anywhere but I feel like I was sneak attacked in Morocco lol

I had no idea they were so evil about food theft...I'd hate to turn into a wild animal if one stole my school bread outside of Norway lol I'll just borrow Erik's sword for a minute :thedolls:

Gator
08-16-2012, 04:29 PM
3 stories. The first comes from when we left popcorn boxes in our stroller while we hit the Jungle Cruise. I tried to tell my wife not to, but she insisted that closing the box would keep the birds out. I suppose that's why I insisted she clean the bird poop herself.

Second story comes from Magic Kingdom. We went to get our stroller from the Tomorrowland stroller dump. We found someone had left a bag of chip open in their stroller cupholder. It was a bird war! That is until one bird flew off with the entire bag.

The thrid story was the best. We were at Epcot walking from the UK to Canada. We noticed a boy coming toward us with a large cookie in his hand. What made us notice him was the seagull hovering directly above him - like it was in a Matrix movie. As soon as the boy lifted the cookie to take a bite, the bird swooped in and snagged it, leaving the boy with mouth wife open and eyes wide in amazement. It was easily the funniest thing I've ever seen at WDW.:)

goofybiz
08-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Can agree with all the seagulls experiences especially in Magic Kingdom. However, when we were in Magic Kingdom, Frontierland about two to three years ago, we noticed that something was missing. It was those dirty birds. There was none around and when we asked the cast members about it they just smirked and walked away. Obviously Disney must have been trying to abate the situation however it now has returned. :secret:

PETE FROM NYC
08-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I am a life long saltwater fisherman, so bird poop is something I grew up with. What is really bad is when I don't use the boat for a week or so, and I have to practically use a blow torch and a sand blaster to clean it.
I have been "bombed" in just about every theme park I have ever visited. I think that the worst is in Sea World, where I have witnessed the brazen gulls land on a table while folks were there and help themselves.

DizneyFreak2002
08-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I never had an issue with birds in WDW... When I ate at Casey's I'd have ducks waddle up toward my table but would leave then they realize they aren't getting fed... Same happened in DAK with I had Flame Tree... I have seen birds swoop in and steal a fry out of someone's hand once though...

texas211
08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I wish they'd let you bring air guns for just this reason.

j2k
08-16-2012, 10:00 PM
The birds near flame tree BBQ bug me so much, last time I was there, one of the white birds with the long beaks bit my sisters finger! Luckily it wasn't that bad, but it still freaked her out.

Those birds got my food last week near flame tree BBQ. I turned to give some of the food to my Dd and when I turned back a long beaked bird was nipping at the end of my chicken leg. Eww... I shooed the bird away and didn't eat on that end of the chicken. After that I kept an eye out for the bird and had to shoo him away a few more times.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-18-2012, 10:28 PM
3 stories. The first comes from when we left popcorn boxes in our stroller while we hit the Jungle Cruise. I tried to tell my wife not to, but she insisted that closing the box would keep the birds out. I suppose that's why I insisted she clean the bird poop herself.

Second story comes from Magic Kingdom. We went to get our stroller from the Tomorrowland stroller dump. We found someone had left a bag of chip open in their stroller cupholder. It was a bird war! That is until one bird flew off with the entire bag.

The thrid story was the best. We were at Epcot walking from the UK to Canada. We noticed a boy coming toward us with a large cookie in his hand. What made us notice him was the seagull hovering directly above him - like it was in a Matrix movie. As soon as the boy lifted the cookie to take a bite, the bird swooped in and snagged it, leaving the boy with mouth wife open and eyes wide in amazement. It was easily the funniest thing I've ever seen at WDW.:)

The third story is exactly what happened to my sister in Epcot with her granola bar. She was pregnant at the time and that was about all she could keep down. Her husband (my BIL) and I were walking behind her and saw the whole thing! She hadn't even gotten the whole thing unwrapped when the bird stole it!! She said some UnDisney words at that bird!

disneymom2000
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
I have never had a problem with the birds. But over the years people have been feeding them and they have become so used to human contact they aren't scared of us anymore. The worst ones are at Disney Studios close to where they sell the turkey legs on your way to RNRC and ToT.

LudwigVonDrake
08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately with people feeding them, the birds lose their fear and come up to people and want/try to get the food.

kakn7294
08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
A bird pooped on my jeans in Epcot last January. It was right as I was taking a step so it got the very bottom of the leg, just above the hem. We've never had one steal food though.

mgmnut
08-24-2012, 01:02 AM
A couple trips back, we were sitting in EPCOT by the United States Pavilion. Someone was walking by with a Funnel cake on a plate and a seagul swooped down and grabbed it right off the plate. The funnel cake fell to the ground and a ton more gulls came swooping in for it, it was crazy. They were fighting over it making tons of noise and people were freaking out. It happened real quick and was over pretty fast, I just couldn"t believe how many birds appeared so quickly!!

2 Days!! :joy:

disneysmiles
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Had a few birds try to get to our food while at Flame Tree. They didn't get anything though.

When we were walking to get to our Crystal Palace ressie at MK, we noticed a group of ducks across the way from us. All of a sudden a little boy about 4 dashed into the group of birds scaring them. In an effort to get away, one duck flew right into my husbands head with enough force it knocked him down. He was ok, just very embarrased.

Mfarquar
08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
The birds can be annoying! I remember one time we were in magic kingdom eating a turkey leg. The girl sitting next to us turned her head for a minute and a bird swooped in and took a huge bite out of her turkey leg! :ack:

13 days and counting!!! :mickey:

I didn't realize the birds in MK have resorted to cannibalism!! :cool:

Aggie97
08-24-2012, 03:24 PM
As I was having a drink at Aunt Polly's on Tom Sawyer Island, I felt a sudden tugging on my hand. I looked down to find a large bird using its long beak to grab the top of the ring on my finger! It made a second attempt before we were able to shoo it away. It left a few small cuts on my finger, but nothing serious. Kind of startling but funny!

At Disneyland, a mama duck and several ducklings were walking on the grass near the 20,000 Leagues attraction. A couple sea-birds swooped down, scooped up two of the ducklings, and flew away. Some CMs rushed over and shielded the ducks until they could be relocated. We saw the same thing happen to a baby rabbit at Epcot a few years ago. :(

laprana
08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
On one of our December trips I saw a seagull swoop down and snatch a Mickey rice krispie treat clean out of a little girl's hand on the boat dock at WL.

A couple years ago, we were having lunch at Gasparilla Grill at GF and decided to sit outside. There was a group of ducks milling around and they came over to our table soon after we sat down. None of us would give them any food, so I guess one of the ducks got mad because she bit my mom right on her rear end through the cut out part in the back of her chair. My sister and I were laughing so hard, we scared the ducks away! :D

MrPeetrie
08-25-2012, 11:51 AM
We have had three incidents wih WDW's "evil birds."

My first encounter was on the Pangani Trail. As I entered the bird sanctuary, one dropped his excrement on my new, orange Walt Disney World shirt. A CM was right quick on the spot with some kind of towelette that wiped it clean.

Same trip, my wife was sitting by the Rivers of America, eating a turkey leg when a bird left his mess on her head. We had to leave so she could shower.

On another trip, we were sitting at Casey's eating hot dogs and fries. Another group was sitting near us feeding fries to the birds DESPITE there being a sign right there that read "Do Not Feed Birds." there ware quite a few around them in a frenzy state. One bird must have grown impatient, waiting for scraps because he did a kamakazi swoop at our table between my wife and I, took a fry out of our cup, brushed us with wings and took off.

On a related note, we saw a stork-like creature eating discarded scraps at he Mexican Pavillion in Epcot. We named him Phil and I made up an entire backstory for him.

Phil used to wake up at dawn and eat worms, but ever since he found the Mexican Pavillion, he's lost his mojo. He sleeps until noon. He's lazy and lost his drive. The other storks are talking about Phil, saying "Have you seen him lately? He hardly breaks covers before 1."

Phil has lost his job. And can be seen panhandling as far as Norway for some dessert scraps.
"Forraging for worms is so last year," he said. Some of the other birds were readying for an intervention. If you see Phil, please help him find his way by NOT feeding him.