PDA

View Full Version : Need Help choosing offsite resort for 1 night

tss22
08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
The situation:
The wife and I and our two boys (5 and 7) are driving down to Disney for 9/9-9/15 staying at Riverside on Free Dining. It appears we will actually be arriving on 9/8 in the afternoon after putting 18 hours in on the road.

We've decided to get a cheap hotel room outside the park (a little north would be okay too as we are coming from the north).

The bottom line:
We'd like an inexpensive clean hotel with two beds, maybe a pool and preferably free breakfast. I'm not real picky if the room is a bit old and worn, as long as it is sanitary and bug free. Looking online there are plenty of options in the under $50 range. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Christine
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Just be careful! The tourist corridor of 192 has some fleabag and dangerous (daily drug bust etc) hotels/motels.

Try Priceline for the Gaylord- my family secured a night there for $65 last minute! Stick with national chains if possible.

Lindsey310
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
I love the old saying, "You get what you pay for". You want to be comfortable when you sleep and not worrying about bed bugs invading you and your luggage :ack:

The Hilton has some great rates and is in close proximity to Downtown Disney. My friend just booked a suite for $110, I'm sure you can get it a lot cheaper if you booked a standard room. Also, Gaylord Palms as someone else mentioned is a good choice. Good luck.

15 Days and Counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mickey:

disney obsessed
08-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Well, this is my opinion.

You can get bed bugs, etc....,etc...(without too many dreadful details) anywhere. Even Disney. (i will have to share the icky story from all stars someday) Not all lower cost hotel chains are bad. We stayed at the Seralago this spring for a couple of nights. It was good. Clean, pool, food court close and cheap. I think it was around 35/ night.
There is not a free breakfast though.

Good luck!

zipadeedoodah
08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
We are in much the same situation...also driving down for our trip 9/9-9/15, staying at Riverside :) :thumbsup: We are staying one night on the 8th at an offsite hotel as well. We chose Radisson Hotel - Lake Buena Vista. I think we're paying $70 for the night. I read a lot of reviews, and it sounds pretty nice. The rooms all have sleep number beds. I have stayed in my share of bad hotels in the Orlando area, so I tend to be cautious.

If you are interested, its at 12799 S. Apopka Vineland Rd. It's literally less than 2 minutes from the entrance to the Downtown Disney hotel area. 25 more days to go! :mickey:

mydisneygirls
08-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't know if its still true, but I was told once to stay off Int'l Drive.

texas211
08-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Had decent luck w/ the newer Embassy Suites. I always check something like tripadvisor for reviews, and has worked well for me.

Christine
08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't know if its still true, but I was told once to stay off Int'l Drive.

That's true.
I'd say stay off 192 & I-Drive. 192 is rough!

johnO
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
We've stayed at a couple of Holiday Inns before. We also stayed at the Orlando Vista for a couple of nights one time. Its a former Embassy Suites and has a big pineapple in front of it.

Christine didnt you used to have a different screen name?

PETE FROM NYC
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
We also drive and arrive a day early.
The last two trips,2009, and 2010, we stayed in KNIGHTS INN, on 192 about a half mile or so west, past WDW main entrance on World drive. While the place is nothing fancy, we found it clean. The room had a mini-fridge, and a microwave, and a free continental breakfast of donuts,coffee and juice. Their breakfast did not work for us because we are both diabetic, so we went 100 yds down the road, and across the street to Ponderosa(or Sizzler, I always confuse the two)for a $5 buffet breakfast.
I don't understand why some folks are warning against 192. We eat, shop, and have stayed there many times.
We will be driving down again in 28 sleeps, and will probably stay there again.

tss22
08-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice folks. I think I'm leaning toward going the priceline or hotwire route. Looks like I can fairly well contain the location the place will be. (I'm leaning toward downtown disney area since after driving 20 hrs, I don't need to drive another 10-15 down to maingate.) Now I just need to contain the extra fees (parking, resort fees) to try to get something good. Thanks for the input!