PDA

View Full Version : New chef in charge at Mama Melrose....has anyone tried it?

azcavalier
08-14-2012, 12:15 PM
We are thinking about trying Mama Melrose's when we go in April. We have not heard good things about MM in the past, but with the new chef....has it improved? Anyone tried it lately?

Strmchsr
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I really enjoyed it in May. Definitely better than I expected.

VWL Mom
08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
We're among the odd ones that like MM. We have ressies for Monday night so I'll report back and let you know.

darthmacho
08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Going to be eating there exactly one week from today. I'll be sure to post a review when I get back.

Lindsey310
08-14-2012, 02:43 PM
We have reservations on 8/30 so I will let you know. Yay I'm so happy you said this, I wasnt looking forward to eating here (but wanted to book fantasmic dinner package) but now I'm very excited!! I will let you know :eat:

mgmnut
08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Are they still doing all the wood smoked cooking?

KatrinaJ91
08-18-2012, 08:43 PM
We have eaten there several times and have always enjoyed it! The last time was at Christmas and it was delicious!!

CanadaLovesDisney
08-19-2012, 06:25 PM
We ate there last Monday night. Food was amazing as it has been in the past. We had flatbreads (pizzas) and they were delicious, also pastas the gnocchi, penne vodka, and catch of the day.

Extra magic hours so it was reservations only and it was non stop walkin's trying to get a table. So glas we had made a reservation.

disneymom2000
08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Good to know. We will be looking forward to trying it in December.

Roger's #1 Fan
08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
I can also recommend MM. We ate there as part of the Fantasmic package last Saturday afternoon. The calamari, mozz & tomato, and clam appetizers were all very good. The penne vodka, charred strip steak, and chicken campanelle were all well liked. Since we were a party of 5 we got all five desserts. :)

sonamae80
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm excited to see these reviews! We have ADR's for dinner in December and I can't wait! ;)

azcavalier
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM
It sounds good. I think we'll put it on our list for our anniversary trip in April '13.

phlo8810
08-22-2012, 05:30 PM
We've never had a problem with MM. Ate there last MAy and really enjoyed it. Clam appetizers were really good.

VWL Mom
08-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Well we're back and as promised I'm sharing my thoughts on the new chef at MM. Overall it was okay, presentation seems to be her theme. Unfortunately, looking pretty doesn't equate with good taste.

The calamari was one of our favorites on property, not so much now. Rather than having the hot peppers batter dipped and mixed in there is an onion/pepper mix on top. The portion is noticeably smaller and served with a tomato dipping sauce on the side.

Ceasar salad, all romaine tops (dark green part) but the dressing was okay.

Piccata di Pesce: fish of the day was Mahi Mahi and was served with a whole wheat pasta. Unfortunately the poor dish was sauced to death with a piccata that was overpowering and there was no sign of capers or spinach as the menu stated.

DS20 had the Seafood Cioppino, good but not great....hey at least the bowl was pretty. They've cut back on the amount of fish and doubled up the pasta.

DS17 had the Chicken Parm, not much to say because it's a tough dish to ruin and is still a good choice for kids. I'm not a fan of tomato sauce in Disney overall and this dish reminded me why.

So all in all I'd have to say I don't find the change to be for the better. :( If you're in the mood for Italian food while at Disney, try Portobello.