PDA

View Full Version : Safari

tcswife
08-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Who has noticed a decrease in the amount of animals in the Serengeti Grasslands portion of the Safari at The Animal Kingdom. I have even noticed the grass is completely over grown in this area. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well!:mickey:

faline
08-13-2012, 09:11 AM
We were last there in May and didn't notice that we saw any fewer animals than usual.

Butters
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I thought it looked the same in Feb

DizneyRox
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
The animlas tend to do whatever they want seemingly. Depending on the time of day, weather, etc they move around. That doesn't explain overgrown areas. It could be that Disney is just letting the area recover. The safari is pretty big, but those animals can really do a number on the landscape real quick.

I also suggest people visit the safari first thing in the morning when it's cooler and also try your hardest to go when it's raining or just finished (like literally within minutes, not oh, it rained last night, let's try a safari). It the rain I've seen the elephants playing in the water, rhinos all frisky, even heards of animals running the grasslands back and forth. It's quite an experience...

Gator
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
In the rain I've seen the elephants playing in the water, rhinos all frisky, even heards of animals running the grasslands back and forth. It's quite an experience...

Sometimes the animals are hiding or in the shade. But when it rains, that's when I've seen the most animals out in the fields. Someone once told me they hide in the storms, but what I've seen is complete opposite.:cool:

#1donaldfan
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
No, not at all, as a matter of fact when we were there in July we saw tons of animals, more so than ever. Maybe you had an off day.....plus as mentioned, after it rains or first thing in the AM are your best times to see the animals......:cool:

Lindsey310
08-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Did you ride this attraction in the morning? This is one of the first rides we do because the animals are always more active in the morning. I didn't notice a difference when we were there in December but I will pay close attention when we go this month.

13 days!!!!!!!!!! :joy:

disneydoug
08-20-2012, 09:22 AM
We go to Disney 3 times a year and for the last few years the grassland portion has had less animals than in the earlier years--that has been our experience and I am sure that it varies for other folks--we love it

Roger's #1 Fan
08-22-2012, 01:23 PM
We went right after a rainstorm this week and the animals were out in droves. :thumbsup: Got some great close-ups. One black rhino even blocked out jeep's path for a few minutes.

azcavalier
08-22-2012, 02:15 PM
One of the things about this ride (that adds to its repeatability) is the randomness of the animals that you will see.

BTW, it helps to get on this ride as early as possible. The animals are far more active in the morning hours than they are later in the day. We hit it first thing last time, and it was the first time we had ever seen some of the animals, and others like the Lions, were up and about.

JerseyDad
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
.....went thru Safari yesterday MORNING and saw more animals than ever. Great close-ups of giraffe and rhino....AND .....in the lion area, got the most incredible pic of a male lion on the big rock formation .......lying down ....head up ....two front paws hanging over the edge of the rocks ....."Keeping Watch" over his kingdom.

....but what a difference a year makes. The whole elephant poacher story line is gone .....and they are in the process of creating a zebra grassland habitat area.

Imagineer1981
09-22-2012, 03:49 AM
Thats great news about the animals being more active during and right after rain. I'll keep that in mind for our upcoming trip