PDA

View Full Version : DVC - Free stuff???

sixshot19
08-12-2012, 07:56 PM
With all the talk of free dining this and free dining that! What do we get?

We have the portable perks thing (is it still around?). We paid the big bucks and the only perk I get is my annual dues statement in the mail. (well I am a DVC member, big perk as far as I'm concerned)

Let's make a grand list of what us DVC members get! What have you got for free or at a discount? I don't really ever ask about a DVC discount usually two busy with my twins (did you get the pun there).

Post em here, I need some help with it, cheers. :beer:

faline
08-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Discount on annual pass purchases
Ability to buy and use the Table in Wonderland Card
Discounts on tours
Discounts on shopping

Christine
08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Free ice cream! When we closed our 3 contracts we went to get ice cream after signing our paperwork and said on the last time, "We need to keep buying DVC so we can get an ice cream!" and our guide said "nah, come any time!"
Whenever we stay at SSR or are there for dinner at the Turf Club, we get an ice cream! :) :mickey: It may not be much, but it makes us smile!

phlo8810
08-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I hear ya!! I joke with my wife all the time about this. The AP discount is great and the only one of our perks that I actually use.I heard they used to give AP's away with a membership for quite some time. My biggest thing that I'm constantly saying is let us use our membership card as a fastpass. It wouldn't cost disney a thing and would make the member extremely happy. I go down twice a year and It's no cheap trip. I pay my dues which are a little bit ridiculous if you ask me. I buy my dining plan, buy my kids $100s of dollars of **** merchandise, pay for their xmas and halloween parties, go on fireworks cruises etc. just give me this one thing and I would never find another thing to complain about again I promise

Basket Mommy
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Whenever we stay at SSR or are there for dinner at the Turf Club, we get an ice cream! :)

Good to know! That was great ice cream!

Dyanna
08-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Free Christmas ornament at my local mall Doorways store.

Pooh Fan
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
I got a free hat and D23 Calendar when I attended Welcome Home Wednesday last September. (Not to metnion the free glass of lemonade and bag of cracker jack!

greengeen
08-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Honestly, if you think "free" dining is a deal, and DVC members aren't "getting" anything, you should sell your DVC!! You don't get it at all!

DizneyRox
08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
The cruise line treats DVC members pretty well with freebies and whatnot...

Basket Mommy
08-13-2012, 05:08 PM

What kind of freebies? We just took a cruise on the Dream in June and didn't get anything.

DizneyRox
08-13-2012, 06:48 PM
DVC 'mixer' with drinks, hats, tattoos for the kids, and a couple other things...

Basket Mommy
08-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Completely missed that! Was it on the Navigator, or was it something you had to be invited to?

Christine
08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Completely missed that! Was it on the Navigator, or was it something you had to be invited to?

There should have been an invitation in your room. We also got a pin and a lovely wooden box on our room (with our invitation)

DizneyRox
08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Those were all separate things. There were a couple DVC events on the ship and a message in the room almost daily with a note to stop by the DVC desk.

It's odd, the cruise line operates almost entirely to make you want to come back, with incentives, an overload of activities, ever changing destinations, etc. The parks seem to just sit back and do as little as possible. I think the cruise lines are onto something. Scheduling cruise number 4 in two years, haven't seen the inside of a park once in about the same timespan...

JMTStone
09-05-2012, 11:38 AM

The best place to get free stuff from DVC is the cruise. I've gotten hats and binders and lanyards and baskets.

Other than the gift of a sturdy DVC tote bag (we have used it on all trips since 2006), we haven't gotten anything "free". Lots of things are discounted, though. Jon (DH) went fishing at around 40% off at POR. We've used the discount for Halloween party and Cirque tickets.

Our upcoming trip in October is cash (Thank you Magical Journeys) and that's the way we are getting free dining.

Oh, and there's the "Welcome Home".....

Jeffybob
09-09-2012, 07:15 PM
The perk and/or benefit of being a DVC member for me is lodging. In 1998 my Timeshare interest was purchased for approx. $10k. I bought in at the lowest price point available at the time ... 150 pts annually.

This year I have booked a two bedroom and a separate studio with Boardwalk views for the week following Thanksgiving ... the cost of this is my annual dues. NOTE: I carried some points over from the prior year.

Checking the costs of a 1 Bedroom and two studios (they do not show 2 bedrooms on the WDW site), for the exact same period (standard views) would run in the neighborhood of $10 grand OOP... and that is just for one trip. In my opinion, the initial cost of the DVC membership has paid for itself over and over again.

When we cruise with DCL we have been treated to DVC Member mixers, DVC Member gifts as well as Castaway Cay member gifts as repeat cruisers.

We love Disney for the brand and the magic that surrounds us when we are there. We never look for free dining or any other perk aside from a nice place to welcome us home to when we visit and the discount we get on dining as a DVC member.

Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Owner since '98) :mickey:

2011 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Gayle
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
The only thing that irritates me is them charging us 95 dollers to make reservation. Seriously aren't the dues and montly payment enough!!!

epceddie
09-21-2012, 08:01 PM
The only thing that irritates me is them charging us 95 dollers to make reservation. Seriously aren't the dues and montly payment enough!!!

I couldn't agree more.

Jeffybob
09-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Question about the $95?

When I have booked into any WDW Resorts, I have never paid a fee. If you are speaking to an exchange fee, those fees are standard.

Whenever you trade out of your property where you own and use RCI, Interval International, etc. there is an exchange fee; higher if you are trading international.

Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Owner since '98) :mickey:

2011 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2010 - BWV - Valentine's Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV