PDA

View Full Version : Tom sawyers island

puck292
08-12-2012, 05:15 PM
My family has never gone to Tom sawyers island. Is it worth it? Is there anything to see or is it simply park space.? Thanks.

Dopey's Girl
08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Do you have kids? If so, I'd say go. It's a great place for them to run and explore.

If not, it's still fun to see, but not a must do by any means.

texas211
08-12-2012, 06:05 PM
We have no kids, but love it. Its fun to hang out there, find a nice spot to sit. The barrel bridge is fun, but at 300lbs, I have to be careful not to step on one the DW is on, else i'll sink.

But the old keelboat stops are a fun place to sit for a minute.

LudwigVonDrake
08-12-2012, 06:14 PM
In 15+ trips I've never visited Tom Sawyer's Island.

mgmnut
08-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I think it is something you should experience at least once.

faline
08-12-2012, 07:29 PM
We go over every now and then. There are some "caves" that can be explored. You can walk through the windmill; explore the paths (including the barrel bridge) to and from the Fort and explore the Fort.

You can also get some neat pictures of Big Thunder Mountain, the Riverboat as it comes by, and the Haunted Mansion.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
It is fun, and one of those things that you have to do at least once. It is very well-themed, with caves and bridges to explore ... and a nice break in the middle of the MK.

FatherForce
08-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I remember doing it as a kid in the 70's, and we did it once when my stepson was young in the early 90s.

We haven't been back since.

However, if you have young and rambunctious little ones, I;d check it out.

buzznwoodysmom
08-12-2012, 08:35 PM
My boys are now 10 and 12, and they have always enjoyed TSI. It's a fun place to let the kids run loose! There are caves to explore, cool bridges to cross, a fort to play in, and a few things I'm sure I am missing. DH loves it there as much as the boys. Sometimes, when my mom travels with us, it's nice for her and I to grab a rocking chair and relax while DH and the boys explore. She needs the break, and I just enjoy the quiet of it! It can feel like you are far from the parks.

Pally
08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Check and see if they still hide the paint brushes. If they do and you find one you can get a fast pass for Splash Mountain or Big thunder Mountain.

My boys each found one. One randomly just under a bush and the other was in the cave with the jewels. We have some fun pictures with those as well. They are pretending to paint the white fence. Very cute.

My kids have enjoyed it very much. It is also a bit cooler over there as there are some shady spots. Play a game of checkers while the kids play:mickey:

Main Street Jim
08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
But the old keelboat stops are a fun place to sit for a minute.Just for information purposes...there were never any "keelboat stops" *on* the island side of the water. There's actually two of the old keelboat landings still standing: one is in Liberty Square, right at the queue entrance for Haunted Mansion. This area *was* turned into FastPass for the mansion in the early to mid-2000's.
The second landing is over in Frontierland, near Big Thunder Mountain. I believe it's now a smoking area.

All of the docks on the island side are/were meant for the Tom Sawyer Island "log" rafts.

There are three caves to explore; the barrel bridge; the barn and the windmill; and the fort, where you can climb up into the turrets and "shoot" at the passing riverboat! Not sure if there's still a playground up on top of the hill behind Aunt Polly's (sure wish they'd bring *that* back...cold fried chicken and the best PB&J's I ever had!). You can also get some GREAT photos of the Mansion, Big Thunder, and the Riverboat from the island side. :thumbsup:

Oh - and a BIG :thumbsup: on the paint brushes!

joonyer
08-13-2012, 12:39 PM
TSI is a boys' paradise. Our two sons loved it and would spend hours there if we let them. DW and I would take the time to rest in the rockers on the dock at Aunt Polly's. They are 19 & 16 now, and still like to go back to TSI for nostalgia's sake.

DizneyFreak2002
08-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Someone elsewhere said they stopped hiding the paint brushes... I haven't read anything that says they brought them back... Doesn't hurt to check to see if they are doing this again...

Jayhorn
08-13-2012, 04:13 PM
On crowded days I liked to go in the middle of the day, just to get away from all the people. It's a nicely themed area and fun to look around, but not a must-do my any means.

PlutoPlanet
08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
It's a fun place for kids to run around and play. When DD was around 8 she loved it.

Stu29573
08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Loved it as a kid and live it now. Its a nice place to relax and remember childhood!

Gator
08-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I've been six times to WDW and I've never been on the island. But I plan to change that this time. We'll be at MK 3 days, and one of the days they'll be taping the Christmas parade, so we'll be looking to get away from the crowds. Plus, the kids can run off some steam.

Mousemates
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I would say go if:

1) You have children in your group who need to be able to have some unstructured free time to cut loose...its an especially fun place to let boys (and tomboyish girls) have a romp and let their imaginaitons run amok as they explore caves, find "secret passages" and fight off bad guys from the walls of the fort.

2) you remember doing these things with your siblings and cousins when you visited long ago and enjoy a bit of reminiscing.

3) You like to think back to simpler times when a child's imagination was allowed to make a larger part of the magic up in their own mind.

AmandaChan
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM
You wonder is it worth it? Take a look at some of the past posts and you'll find that people have an overwhelming love for the island. Myself included. It's a wonderful escape. spending some time in the rocking chairs alone is worth going over.

puck292
08-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Based on the overwhelming response, TSI is on our list to do. Thanks all for input!

Crow
08-21-2012, 05:15 PM
did it today since it had been a few trips since ive visited, walked around, didnt see a brush, went into a cave, the bridge...and left.
it would b a good spot for kids to run around and something to check out, but not a must for every trip.